Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
vernalbogneris
Prospect

iTunes not grouping some albums

I like to have the shuffle albums feature turned on. However, sometimes albums are not grouped properly, i.e. Track 1 will play then it will shuffle to a different album; or sometimes Tracks 1-3 and then a new album.

I can fix this sometimes by doing a Get Info on the whole album and ensuring the tags are the same for all tracks, eg. there's no Disk Number or Album Artist settings in play. I'll even resave the ID3 info in 3rd party tag editor software. But some albums can't seem to be fixed no matter what I do.

Anyone?
vernalbogneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
matthewclower
Triple-A Player

I've had the same problem before. When I view the albums in the cover view there are sometimes two covers for the same album that aren't grouped together (I've also seen the same for TV Shows) ... I don't know what causes it and would like to know, but I have found that if I just remove the whole album from iTunes and reimport the files, they get grouped together properly.

MacBook Pro 3,1 - 4GB RAM | iPhone 3G MB704LL - 16GB | iPod Touch MB376LL - 32GB

http://twitter.com/matthewclower
http://www.linkedin.com/in/matthewclower
matthewclower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
tw
Hall of Famer

usually this means that one or two mp3s have slight variations in their track data (even something as subtle as a missing track number, or having their genre set to something different). this will cause iTunes to treat them as though they came from different albums. synchronizing the track data will solve the problem.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
EatsWithFingers
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewclower
I've had the same problem before. When I view the albums in the cover view there are sometimes two covers for the same album that aren't grouped together (I've also seen the same for TV Shows) ... I don't know what causes it and would like to know, but I have found that if I just remove the whole album from iTunes and reimport the files, they get grouped together properly.

This can happen if the album contains tracks by different artists, but is not a compilation. For example, if one of the tracks on the album features another artist, e.g. the "Artist" info for one track is <ARTIST1> feat. <ARTIST2>, while all other tracks just have <ARTIST1>.

In this situation, iTunes will group the track with the featured artist separately from the other tracks. To fix this, just enter <ARTIST1> in the "Album Artist" tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernalbogneris
I can fix this sometimes by doing a Get Info on the whole album and ensuring the tags are the same for all tracks, eg. there's no Disk Number or Album Artist settings in play. I'll even resave the ID3 info in 3rd party tag editor software. But some albums can't seem to be fixed no matter what I do.

It seems odd that removing the "Album Artist" info fixes your problem. In my experience, the problem only arises if the "Album Name" and "Artist" tags are different (when the "Album Artist" tag is empty). If the "Album Artist" tag is not empty, then that is used in place of the "Artist" tag to group tracks for a given album name.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: