Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
brokenxxangel
Prospect

Exclamation My macbook won't boot..just a gear wheel and shuts off...need to access hard disk too

I'm running leopard and I just installed an upgrade on my macbook two days ago...and now when I try to get it to boot, it turns on, the grey screen appears, the little gear wheel starts spinning for about 30 seconds, and then it shuts off....ive seen some other topics where people had G5 computers doing this...im a real newbie, so i don't know what the difference between G5 computers and macbooks are so i started a new post...i also saw that people did some diagnostic stuff...what can I do to try and find out what's wrong...I don't have an installer CD or anything for leopard...I do have the files on my external hard drive, but nothing to burn them too...can I boot from a USB??? also, im using my secondary partition on my macbook and im running a stripped down version of windows...i've tried to access my mac partition from my windows partition, but it just says that the hard drive is corrupted or the structure is not supported...is there any way that I can get some files off my mac partition in case I have to wipe it all clean????

I really need help...its been like this for about two days...I can boot Linux systems from a live CD...but I can't access my mac partition through that....

i also booted it in verbose mode, and everything starts working for a while, and it says that everything is fine, and it stops after posting something about something is operational, or works...and after about 30 seconds it flashes "Killing all applications" and then shuts off...if there's anything else that you need to know about my computer, just PM me or post on here...I'll try and find out =S

thanks!
brokenxxangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

1) Why don't you have an Install DVD? You should have received one with the MacBook.
The Install DVD is an essential troubleshooting tool, so you should buy one. (I've read that Apple will supply a replacement DVD for a nominal charge.)

2) You need to copy down the exact text of the messages that you see in verbose mode (the last 10 or so) and show them to us.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
brokenxxangel
Prospect

1. well, i don't have a leopard install DVD cos my friend installed Leopard on my computer...I don't ever remember seeing a DVD for tiger..but I'll check...but I can ask to borrow a install DVD for Leopard...(btw, is Apple releasing any new versions of Leopard or upgrades so I can buy a DVD when it comes out?)
2. Give me 10 minutes, and I'll have it written down
Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
brokenxxangel
Prospect

ok, here's what I was able to write down...it was kind of annoying since it kept on shutting off every 30 seconds...

IOBlockStorageDriver/Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Untitled@2
BSD root:disk0s2, major 14, minor 2
jnl: unknown -dev : journal start/end pointers reset! (jnl 0x2c6ff00;s 0x6cd000e0x6cd000)
[bluetooth: :CSPHIDTransistion] switchToHCImode (legacy)
[bluetooth: :CSPHIDTransistion] transition complete
[HCIController][configurePM]power parents ready after 1 tries
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete

and after that hangs there for about 30 seconds, this appears at the very bottom

Syncing Disk...killing all processes

it says something else, but it flashes to quick for me to see what it says...
I'm pretty sure I wrote that all down write...

there was also something else that was written about 20 lines up, i don't know if it means anything, but this is what it says...

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependancies on both com.apple.kernal/ and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
brokenxxangel
Prospect

actually, i missed a bit...this is what it is supposed to read:

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPiPlatformExpert/PCIO@O/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@IF,2/AppleAHCI/PRT2@2/IoAHCIDevice@O/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/
IOBlockStorageDriver/Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Untitled@2
BSD root:disk0s2, major 14, minor 2
jnl: unknown -dev : journal start/end pointers reset! (jnl 0x2c6ff00;s 0x6cd000e0x6cd000)
[bluetooth: :CSPHIDTransistion] switchToHCImode (legacy)
[bluetooth: :CSPHIDTransistion] transition complete
[HCIController][configurePM]power parents ready after 1 tries
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenxxangel
is Apple releasing any new versions of Leopard or upgrades so I can buy a DVD when it comes out?

Not sure what you mean about new versions, but you can buy a Leopard DVD from the online Apple Store, or from Amazon, or from innumerable other places.
(And you should - to make your installation legal.)
Old 02-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
brokenxxangel
Prospect

i live outside the US, but I will be going back in just over a week, so I will buy it for sure. I was intending on buying it anyways, but now I have a very very very good reason to.
Is there anything else I can do with my computer?? I read something about resetting PRAM...would that do anything that would help???
Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
appleman_design
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayne
Not sure what you mean about new versions, but you can buy a Leopard DVD from the online Apple Store, or from Amazon, or from innumerable other places.
(And you should - to make your installation legal.)

10.5.6 is the latest DVD from apple.
appleman_design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
brokenxxangel
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman_design
10.5.6 is the latest DVD from apple.

thanks!

can anyone tell me what resetting PRAM does??
Old 02-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenxxangel
can anyone tell me what resetting PRAM does??

Google can: http://www.google.com/search?q=reset...RAM+%22os+x%22
Old 02-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
brokenxxangel
Prospect

yeah, sorry...i asked, and then googled...i tried it and it didn't help
but thanks for the help =)
i think i may have hard drive problems cos this isnt the first time my computer has done something wierd like this...i think wiping it clean is the best bet, but there's one file I want to copy off my computer that I forgot to back-up that's really important....

Tags
gear wheel, macbook, shut off

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: