Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
cosmcrazy
Triple-A Player

Smile Concurrent user sessions

Is it possible to have more than one GUI session at a time on Leopard? Right now, my sister and I share a Windows desktop, and she typically uses it to view her math homework etc. while I am away at school. Sometimes I want to access my computer from home.

If I want to...spy on what she is doing, then I use VNC. If I want to actually use the computer and see MY desktop, then I use that handy Remote Desktop Connection application that is on every PC. We are able to have completely separate sessions, which is nice. Is there a way to do this in Leopard?
cosmcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
evil.c

Concurrent user sessions

Yes,

the same way you VNC into your sister's account, you can do for your own.

First thing to do is set up fast user switching in Sys pref. > accounts > Login Options : then tick "Enable fast user Switching"

Then login as your self and power up your VNC Server, (i've set my to Open hidden at login). The default setting will be something like this:

Host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Display: 0
Port: 5900 [Port may or may not be shown]
Password: [blank]

The Key hear is the Display number, if your sister is set to '0' set yours to some thing else I.E. '1' , and set a Password if you wish.

This Display entry is adjusting the Port your are connecting to the computer with, if 'Display' is set to '0' this will be port '5900' if 'Display' is set to '5' this will be using Port '5905'

Once you have set up the VNC Server, DON'T log out but click on your User Name which should have appeared top right next to the time since you enabled Fast User Switching, and then click Login Window, this will then allow your sister to log in.

Now all you need to do is go to which ever computer it is that you want to VNC from, and adjust the display detail (and password if you set one) and log in.

Hope this makes sense, don't normally reply much on here as there are not normally questions I can help with, but I discovered this as I needed access to my user account and admin accounts at work at the same time. The clever trick with the above is that you can VNC into your other accounts on the same computer at the same time, without logging out or fast switching users
Old 01-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
cosmcrazy
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmcrazy
Is it possible to have more than one GUI session at a time on Leopard? Right now, my sister and I share a Windows desktop, and she typically uses it to view her math homework etc. while I am away at school. Sometimes I want to access my computer from home.

That should be "Sometimes I want to access my computer AT home." Obviously if I am at home then I don't need to VNC because I don't have more than one computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil.c
Then login as your self and power up your VNC Server, (i've set my to Open hidden at login). The default setting will be something like this:

Host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Display: 0
Port: 5900 [Port may or may not be shown]
Password: [blank]

The Key hear is the Display number, if your sister is set to '0' set yours to some thing else I.E. '1' , and set a Password if you wish.

This Display entry is adjusting the Port your are connecting to the computer with, if 'Display' is set to '0' this will be port '5900' if 'Display' is set to '5' this will be using Port '5905'

It looks like you're using a third party VNC server that only runs on a user-level...what happens if I am not already logged into the console? I have to interrupt my sister's session to login I guess? Is it possible to do this with just the built in "Screen Sharing" feature?
cosmcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: