Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
BCote
Prospect

IBook G4 Forgotten Password

Hello

So I have an old Ibook G4 that I got from an old friend of mine and I do not have the discs for it. When I start it up I have to enter in a password and I don't know what it is. Most of the forums I have been looking into have been saying that if you start up from the discs while holding "C" or something like that you can reset the password but that is not working with me.

I remember that someone once used some kind of key combination on my laptop to get me to reset the password and it worked. The problem is that I do not know what that key combination was and I desperately want to get this Ibook fixed up and usable.

Any help would be great.
BCote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
trevor

Quote:
When I start it up I have to enter in a password and I don't know what it is.

Please tell us in detail what the password prompt looks like. If you have a digital camera, you could take a screenshot and attach (a size-reduced) version here.

It's not clear to me if it is asking you for your Open Firmware password, or your standard login password.

In either case, though, you need to get discs for this computer. If the original discs are not available, you can buy a retail version of OS X from many places. If you get a slightly older version of OS X, such as 10.4.x Tiger, it can be found quite inexpensively.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ibook g4, mac, password

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: