Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 02-25-2003, 05:38 PM   #1
goster
Prospect

Keynote doesn't recognize Symbol Font!

I cannot get Keynote to recognize the Symbol font. So I cannot put Greek characters into a text box.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix?
goster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 03:28 PM   #2
laup2
Prospect

Yes, Keynote has Greek letters. ONE way to get to them is simply to use the bottom of the dialog box. It shows "Extras" but includes a Greek-letter palletteis in the Show Fonts box.
laup2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
kmmertes
Prospect

Math Symbols in Keynote

Using the "Symbol" font to enter math symbols or greek letters in Keynote does not work without a little help.

The trick is to use the Greek Input Menu. Goto System Preferences->International->Input Menu Tab and select "Greek" or "Greek Polytonic". You may want to select, "Show input menu in menu bar".
Now (when Greek is selected) you can use Greek letters in any font (although the Symbol font still looks the best for math.) For more complicated formulae, install "LaTeX Equation Editor" by McKenzie Alexander (requires installing TeX).
kmmertes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
watcoh
Prospect

This is absurd!

I have this same problem in Keynote '09 (5.0.3). It cannot be an acceptable solution to have to use the character palette every time you need greek letters. I am using Mathtype 6.0a with Keynote, so I have their symbol font, too. What makes this even more galling is that the symbol fonts work just fine on the PowerPoint 2008 installed on the same machine. Another black eye for Apple, I am afraid.
watcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
svenkreiss

This discussion came up from a search and I thought I post a nice solution to it:
http://www.svenkreiss.com/UnicodeIt lets you type latex syntax for symbols like \alpha, then you highlight this part of the text and press a shortcut and the \alpha will be converted into an actual alpha.

This works in almost all Mac Programs like Keynote, Pages, TextEdit, Adium, Safari, etc.

Hope this helps someone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: