Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
jinjerald

Volume Header needs minor repair

uumm..guys.. i also nid help.. im a super duper newbie in using mac.. coz iv been using windows for almost ,not almost ,but for my whole student life.. now my father gave me dis macbook running mac os x version 10.4.11.. and as i discover things hir n mac, i discovered dis disk utility, and tried to scan or wat u call it , verify disk.. and after dat , i got these reports...
V
V

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

-----
i nid help T.T and i dont know wats d meaning of these reports. or how badly my laptop would b afected..

-----
and 1 more thing, im trying to install Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium, and after dat long long verifying of the .dmg file, i got dis message saying: input output error, failed to mount disk...
ive search for help n the net, and tried deleting those files(like wat others said)-- like in the caches(folder) the kernel blah blah thing?

------
thanks for all the help!!
im sweating ,hehe, coz i got no brains hir in mac.. pls nid your help badly T.T
thnks a lot!!

--jerald..
thanks again...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
trevor

Quote:
and 1 more thing, im trying to install Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium, and after dat long long verifying of the .dmg file, i got dis message saying: input output error, failed to mount disk...
ive search for help n the net, and tried deleting those files(like wat others said)-- like in the caches(folder) the kernel blah blah thing?

Adobe CS3 does not come as a .dmg file, so you must have a pirated version. This forum does not support piracy, and any further discussion of piracy, or any help for piracy posted to this thread will get it immediately locked.

You need to buy CS3 if you want to use it, and it will come on a disc, and you will have support from Adobe for any installation problems you might have. It can be purchased many places, for example here.

Quote:
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

This indicates that your hard drive has filesystem damage. You could either erase the drive and reinstall OS X from your original discs, or try to repair the filesystem in place with stronger tools than Disk Utility. If you choose to repair the filesystem in place, I recommend DiskWarrior http://alsoft.com

Edit: Ah, I see that you just clicked "Verify Disk". As hayne correctly points out below, you need to Repair Disk, which means that you can't be booted from the disk that you are repairing. Boot to your OS X Install disc, then select Disk Utility from one of your menus, go to the First Aid tab and click Repair Disk. Repeat until no problems are found.

If after doing this, Disk Utility still can't repair the disk, then I would recommend DiskWarrior http://alsoft.com

Trevor

Last edited by trevor; 12-03-2008 at 11:24 AM.
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
hayne
Site Admin

You need to do "Repair Disk" (different from "Repair Disk Permissions"!) in Disk Utility when booted from the Install CD/DVD. I.e. you restart from the Install CD/DVD, then run the version of Disk Utility that is available from one of the menus there (in 10.4.x, it's the Utilities menu), then go to the First Aid tab, select your boot drive, and click "Repair Disk" (NOT Repair Disk Permissions). If Repair Disk finds any errors at all, repeat the repair until no errors are found.
See this Apple doc:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214
Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
mclbruce
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
Adobe CS3 does not come as a .dmg file...

Just FYI, it looks like Adobe does sell download versions of CS4.
https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/sto...S&sku=65020429
I don't know what the downloads look like though. They could be .dmg or something else entirely. And did they also offer this with CS3? I don't know.
mclbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failed, mount, repair, volume

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: