Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 02-15-2002, 11:36 AM   #1
dkal
Prospect

Unhappy Removing Login Password Requirement?

My home computer is being used by myself and one other user. Up until yesterday neither user needed to enter a password to log in...only needed to click on the user's icon to log in.

Well, I fooled around with the netinfo manager yesterday and now both myself (the admin) and the other user are both required to enter a password to log in. One thing I remember doing was enabling root user and then, not really knowing what that meant, I disabled root user before quitting netinfo manager.

What the heck caused this change? More importantly, how can I get rid of the requirement to enter passwords? I don't need the security feature of entering a password and it's just an annoyance.

I've never entered command lines in the Terminal so I hope your suggestions can be performed without using the Terminal.

Thanks in advance for your help.
dkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 02:19 PM   #2
cybergoober
Triple-A Player

In the Users pane of System Preferences you should be able to opt to not give the users passwords (ie leave the password field blank for both users). This should work (I know it works for normal users, not sure about admin users).
cybergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 03:03 PM   #3
dkal
Prospect

Smile Thanks again, Cybergoober!

That was such a simple solution I feel like a dope for not trying it in the first place!

Thanks again!

dkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 04:25 PM   #4
mervTormel
League Commissioner

dkal,

fooling around with netinfo mgr is a recipe for disaster. this is the control center for configuring many/most of the OS's particulars. a cavalier approach to this tool is considered bad form.
mervTormel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: