Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
delliioo
Triple-A Player

Regarding Logfile.txt

Hi,
I have a weird problem. I don't why? On my desktop I frequently find a logfile.txt being created. I deleted it no.of times but there was no use.
Can anyone advise?
delliioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

Well, what's in it?
"WITTY QUOTE"
Mikey-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #3
delliioo
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-San
Well, what's in it?

Creating Left and right Panel
LeftPanel construction begin
LeftPanel construction end
LeftPanel properties
RightPanel properties
Setting frame properties
Done frame properties

This is what the log file contains. I copy pasted it here
delliioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
hayne
Site Admin

What version of OS X do you have?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
hayne
Site Admin

Assuming you have Leopard (10.5), you can probably find out which program is creating that file by using the 'dtrace' facilities.

Launch the "Terminal" application (under /Applications/Utilities) and copy & paste the following commands (all together), and then press Return:

sudo opensnoop -f ~/Desktop/logfile.txt
echo "done"

You will be prompted for your password (and possibly given a warning about behaving responsibly) - so type it in (you won't see anything being typed - it hides the password from view) and then press Return.

After having done that, your Terminal window should have something like this in it:
Code:
% sudo opensnoop -f ~/Desktop/logfile.txt
Password:
  UID    PID COMM          FD PATH
Now just leave this Terminal window as is (you can minimize it if you want) and then use your Mac as usual. After the "logfile.txt" file has reappeared, go back into the Terminal window and look at the messages there. The "COMM" column should indicate what program it was that created the "logfile.txt" file.

Note: it's possible that you may get some messages in that Terminal window that start off with "dtrace: error" - if so, just ignore them.

Once you've finished with this, click in that Terminal window, then hold down the Control key and press the C key. This should stop the 'opensnoop" command that is running there. Then quit the "Terminal" application.

Note that in the above, I'm assuming that you correctly reported the filename as "logfile.txt" - if instead it was "Logfile.txt" (uppercase 'L') then you should use that in the above command.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
jekaiser7
Prospect

logFile.txt appearing on desktop - what is it?

Hi,
the last few days I've had a logFile.txt appearing on my desktop. I saw another thread posted here on how to see what program is creating it and followed the instructions in it. My question is simply - what is it? Is this something that I need to be worried about? And how do I stop it from continuing to happen.

Thanks

I have a MacBook Leopard
jekaiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Open the file in a text editor, and see to what it refers. That's the best way of finding out.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
jekaiser7
Prospect

LeftPanel properties
RightPanel properties
Setting frame properties

That's the beginning part...and it goes on for quite a while. I'm not sure what it's referring to. Here's a link to the previous thread that I used to set up the dtrace: http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=94552
Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
tw
Hall of Famer

some application or process is trying to write a log file, but mistakenly putting it on the desktop instead. what are you doing when this happens, what does the logFile say, and what applications are open?
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
hayne
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekaiser7
I saw another thread posted here on how to see what program is creating it and followed the instructions in it.

1) I merged your new thread with that older one - best to keep it all together.

2) If you followed my above instructions and used 'opensnoop', what did you find out about what program is creating this log file?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
jekaiser7
Prospect

This is what I found in the opensnoop:
502 95 Finder 17 /Users/jenniferkaiser/Desktop/logFile.txt
502 20 mds 6 /Users/jenniferkaiser/Desktop/logFile.txt
502 9202 TextEdit 4 /Users/jenniferkaiser/Desktop/logFile.txt
502 9202 TextEdit 5 /Users/jenniferkaiser/Desktop/logFile.txt
502 9202 TextEdit 4 /Users/jenniferkaiser/Desktop/logFile.txt
502 20 mds 15 /Users/jenniferkaiser/Desktop/logFile.txt
502 8027 mdworker 10 /Users/jenniferkaiser/Desktop/logFile.txt
502 8027 mdworker 11 /Users/jenniferkaiser/Desktop/logFile.txt
502 8027 mdworker 11 /Users/jenniferkaiser/Desktop/logFile.txt

I believe the program creating it is my USMLEWorld Step 1 question bank. When I create a test, the logFile.txt shows up on my desktop. However, it didn't start doing this until recently and I've been using the question bank for a few weeks.

Here's more of what the logfile says:
LeftPanel properties
RightPanel properties
Setting frame properties
Done frame properties
main screen frame over
setting up questions
setting up questions over
setting minutes
leftPane qset
LeftPanel question set begin
LeftPanel question set end
qPanel qSet
qsPane set Question Set
qPane Question set
setting up answer panels
done with answer panels

That's only a small portion. Good to know what's creating it - any ideas on why?
Thanks!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
tlarkin
League Commissioner

hmm it is mdworker it seems

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...dworker.8.html

I wonder if it has to do with spotlight? It has to do with meta data apparenlty.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
tw
Hall of Famer

what makes you think that it's 'USMLEWorld Step 1 question bank', since that doesn't appear in the opensnoop bit you posted?

granting that that's true, though, this looks like a debugger log has gotten activated somehow (the text is listing off instance creation steps, not giving error messages). check in the preferences to see if something got activated that shouldn't be (maybe even try deleting the preference plist in ~/Libery/Preferences - should be something like com.USMLE.questionbank.plist (that's just a guess). also, did you update the application recently, or does it have an auto-update feature? maybe the developer made a change and left his debugging code active by accident when he released it. you should look at the homepage for the software and see if there's anything pertinent.

Last edited by tw; 06-05-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling errors, ugh
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
tlarkin
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarkin
hmm it is mdworker it seems

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...dworker.8.html

I wonder if it has to do with spotlight? It has to do with meta data apparenlty.

wow not enough coffee this morning, mdworker is probably working as intended by grabbing the meta data of that log file for spotlight.....

man thank the gods it is friday
Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
jekaiser7
Prospect

[QUOTE=tw;536648]what makes you think that it's 'USMLEWorld Step 1 question bank', since that doesn't appear in the opensnoop bit you posted?

Well, I guess I don't know for sure if the QBank is creating it, but I started it up this morning and as soon as I created a test from the question bank, the logfile.txt showed up on my desktop. I'm also not sure about auto-updates for this program - I do know the version I have is something USMLE is currently unrolling to replace their older software version, so maybe they have some glitches.

I looked in Library/Preferences and didn't see anything relating to the program. So I looked on the help site for USMLE World (didn't see anything about logfiles), and sent them an email about it.

Thanks for your help, everyone!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
jekaiser7
Prospect

Solved!

Wow, the tech support over there is super fast - here's what they say for anyone who is curious:

The logfile.txt is used by Java when rendering the USMLEWorld Qbank. It is not significant in regards to your subscription test data and you may delete it at any time, though it will reappear when you open a test in our qbank software. It is completely harmless and will only appear in the directory you installed the qbank from. Thus if you opened the JNLP file from your desktop it will appear there.

Thanks again for all the tips and help. I'm just glad something strange isn't taking over my computer..
Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMLE Tech Support
Thus if you opened the JNLP file from your desktop it will appear there.

Jennifer, you should probably install this application either into the /Applications folder, or even better into a folder inside the /Applications folder. It's not a particularly good idea to leave applications that you plan on using in a long-term manner on your Desktop and running them from there.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: