Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 09-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
iddybee

How do I transfer Photoshop from an old Mac computer?

Hello,

I am trying to transfer my Photoshop from my old Mac to my new Mac, but after transferring the application folders to my new one, it still says it's missing the Installment tool. Not sure what to do - I definitely don't want to have to buy Photoshop all over again.

This is the message it gives me: "One or more files in the Adobe Application Support Folder, necessary for running Photoshop, are missing. Please run the Photoshop installer and re-install Photoshop."

and then "Your Adobe Photoshop, user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid. The application cannot continue and must now exit."

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
iddybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
jpclark49
Triple-A Player

I always and ONLY install applications on a new machine using the install CD that came with the program. As an IT professional, it meant I never got caught installing pirated software on a customer's computer (a violation of my employment agreement and the service contract from employer to customer). It also meant random problems like this never existed.

If you don't have the install media (CD or download and license code from the vendor) it seems like this might be pirated software.
jpclark49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
jakaracman
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpclark49
If you don't have the install media (CD or download and license code from the vendor) it seems like this might be pirated software.

Or a lost CD or CD that is scratched beyond use or ...

I would guess that
Quote:
I definitely don't want to have to buy Photoshop all over again

means that it isn't pirated.
jakaracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
Photek
Hall of Famer

what version of Photoshop is it?...... version 7 needs to be moved in a different way to CS3
Photek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Depending on how old it is, you may find that it doesn't run well on Leopard.
You don't have to pay the full price for Photoshop again, of course. You can get an upgrade deal from Adobe.

But to add to what has already been said: Photoshop installs all sorts of files in various places outside of the applications folder, including (but not limited to)
/Library/Application Support/Adobe

If you are going to put PS on a new computer, you need to install it from the CD.

If you have just copied the entire contents of your Application folder from one machine to another, then you may find problems with other apps too. Most apps are good and store everything they need within themselves, But some don't.

Last edited by benwiggy; 09-10-2008 at 05:50 AM.
benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
styrafome
Hall of Famer

If you have a new Mac, is there a reason you're not using the Migration Assistant? It does an OK job of moving applications and files. However, the most trouble-free way is to use the original disk installer.

The way you're doing it, the manual way, is the hardest. First of all, you don't know where all the files are. And many apps (can't remember if Adobe does this) store registration information in invisible files encoded for the specific hardware, so even if you find the file, and you move it, the app might notice you put it on a different machine and invalidate it with a registration error like the one you're seeing.

The more major the app, the more you need to do it right. With Apple apps for instance, you can drag/drop some of the free/cheap apps, but Apple pro apps like Final Cut Pro are like Adobe's, they store many files outside the application.

Here is an example of where some files are. You might want to look up a similar doc for your version. Still might not work though. Use the original disk.

Last edited by styrafome; 09-10-2008 at 10:59 AM.
styrafome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
shaolex
Prospect

I'm actually curious about this too. I received a valid copy of Photoshop a couple of years ago from an old job, but I no longer work there, and I no longer have access to the installation CD's. I'm getting ready to upgrade the hard drive in my laptop and I'm going to do a fresh install of OS X when I get it and Snow Leopard. The only program I can't reinstall from scratch is Photoshop, so I need to figure out which files/folders need to be directly copied over. Does anyone know how to do this?
shaolex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, new mac, photoshop, transfer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: