Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
jonathanjong
Triple-A Player

private/var/vm/

Some files in private/var/vm/ (e.g., sleepimage, swapfile1) seem to be taking oodles of space. Any idea what these are?

Also, how do I get rid of these printer files?
jonathanjong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

The sleepimage file stores a copy of what is in RAM when your Mac goes into hibernation.
The swapfile1 file is the second of what can be a series of files (swapfile0, swapfile1,...)that are used for "virtual memory" - when your Mac needs more RAM than it actually has, some of the contents of RAM is temporarily swapped to these disk files. There is always at least the one swapfile0 file of size 64 MB.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
jonathanjong
Triple-A Player

So...I don't delete them? *smiles sheepishly*
Old 08-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

You can choose to delete the sleepimage file, but it will be recreated when the system needs it. The swapfile is also created as needed. You might find multiple swapfiles. The system maintains those files automatically. There will always be at least one swapfile, as it is created when the system starts up. The swapfile(s) are cleared and reset at any restart.
So, it doesn't matter much if you delete those files yourself. Deleting a swapfile while the system is running (and using that swapfile) could result in strange behavior from your system, until you restart, and the swapfile is re-created.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
styrafome
Hall of Famer

The most permanent way to prevent them is to install more RAM.

The other choice is to find a clever way to continually delete the swap files, but the price for that will probably be an endless cycle of crashes as the OS looks for stored RAM caches that are no longer there.
styrafome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrafome
The most permanent way to prevent them is to install more RAM.

The other choice is to find a clever way to continually delete the swap files, but the price for that will probably be an endless cycle of crashes as the OS looks for stored RAM caches that are no longer there.

It's worth noting that by adding more RAM, you will increase the size of the sleep image. But more RAM is always good for performance. Storage space is cheap.
"WITTY QUOTE"
Mikey-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
JDV
Hall of Famer

I don't really think removing them is likely to result in more crashes; if the data being sought isn't found in a cache, it's simply retrieved from disk. If more virtual memory is needed, the OS will allocate another file. Even machines super-loaded with physical memory will still make use of caches (for reasons I don't exactly understand), but certainly that would reduce them.

Joe VanZandt
JDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
jonathanjong
Triple-A Player

Ooh...OK then.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: