Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Irene
MVP

System-wide shortcut for getting the checkmark (✓) character?

I often want to make a ✓ check mark. I'm usually using comic sans as my font and may be in Mail, Stickies, X-pad, Word, Text-edit, or some other application.

Currently I go to a text file I've saved and copy it which is quicker than opening a the character pallete or keyboard viewer and searching.

I'd like a system wide short cut-- like pressing shift F8 or even shift 6 since I never use that carrot symbol-- to cause the ✓ to appear, but I don't know how to achieve this.
Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

How about using the normal √ from the keyboard, which is Option-v?
I realize it's not exactly a check-mark, but is probably a root symbol, but perhaps close enough?
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
macosnoob
MVP

Although it might produce unexpected results, you could switch from your regular keyboard layout to Unicode Hex Input. Then Option-2713 and Option-2714 generate light and heavy check marks.
macosnoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Irene
MVP

I may use the option V version of the checkmark for now. That's cool!

I toggle between the US English and Qwerty Hebrew, I don't think I want to try another keyboard layout. Plus that still requires too many keystrokes.

I think that in the keyboard preferences section under "all applications" I should be able to add a shortcut exactly like I want, but when I try, it doesn't work; clearly I am not following directions well!

Thank you both for your suggestions.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
macosnoob
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene
I think that in the keyboard preferences section under "all applications" I should be able to add a shortcut exactly like I want, but when I try, it doesn't work; clearly I am not following directions well!

You can create keyboard shortcuts only for existing menu commands.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
macosnoob
MVP

Another thought. There are third-party type-completion apps such as TypeIt4Me and TextExpander, but I think you would still end up looking at a multikey solution to do something that you want in one key or one key plus a shift or option. Redefining your keyboard layout(s) with Ukelele, http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...tem_id=ukelele, seems one potential solution, if a single-key check mark is really important to you.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Irene
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosnoob
You can create keyboard shortcuts only for existing menu commands.

Aaaahhhhh....so I was attempting to do the impossible.
No wonder success was eluding me.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
taunibear

Do this for all symbols, ever

Okay, mac users! Whenever there's a symbol you cannot find, cannot shortcut to on your keyboard, or do not want to copy-paste (note that you can google just about any symbol ridiculously quickly and copy-paste it, though), try this trick: hit option+⌘+t

So, that's option+command+t

It's really fun, try to remember it.
taunibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
Turbocrusher

How to make a check mark

Chose Insert, then Symbol from the drop down box. In the Font box, type in the font wingdings, or just scroll down till you find it on the list. The options for making a keyboard shortcut are there as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: