Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPhone Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1107 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
GimmeGimmeMomo

iPhone won't send POP email? Here's a work-around.

Like some other people out there, I haven't been able to get the Mail App on the iPhone to talk nice to my POP email host's server. It receives mail just fine, but will not send. I've tried all the fixes I could find suggested out there, and had several back-and-forths with my server host's tech support, and then spent (literally) two hours with an upper level Apple tech trying to get the device and server working together . . . to no avail.

Until such time as my server opens up a new hole and allows easier access . . . or until Apple figures out some way to penetrate the pinpricks that are already there . . . I've come up with a reasonably good work-around that might be helpful for some of the others out there who are having similar issues.

It's a little convoluted, but it's easy to do, and there's no hacking/tinkering . . . so just follow it step-by-step.

1. Create a Gmail Account. Ultimately, you'll be sending your regular POP account mail through their server . . . so you'll need a Gmail Account.

2. Once that's created, there's an option to: "Use Gmail to send from your other email addresses" . . . and we're gonna get that set up now. To do that, log into your Gmail Account. Then go to Settings (at the top-right of screen). Then go to Accounts (the second Tab over). Then, where it says: "Send Mail As:", click on the option to "Add another email address". That'll open up another box that let's you fill in the name and email address of an alternative email account. Put your primary POP email account information here.

3. Gmail will then take you through a brief verification process, to determine if, indeed, you actually have access to the POP email account that you're trying to "spoof". Just follow the instructions.

4. Now, let's fix our iPhone's settings so that our POP account can use Gmail's Outgoing SMTP mail server. Go to your Mail Settings, and select your POP account (assuming you've already got one created that has the Incoming mail part working just fine). Scroll down to your Outgoing Mail Server settings, and either turn off your delinquent primary server and add a new server with the settings I'm about to give you. Or, what I did was, just change your primary server info to the following:

5. Here's the server settings that will work:

Host Name: smtp.gmail.com
User Name: use your full gmail email address
Password: use your gmail password
Use SSL: Turned On
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 587

6. Now, you should be able to send mail from your POP account through the Mail App on the iPhone, using Gmail's SMPT server as a proxy. You can already use the AT&T outgoing server settings in this same way, actually . . . but only when you're on the AT&T network (Edge or 3G) . . . not when you're on a Wi-Fi network.

Truth is, this trick would work even if we didn't do Step #2 and Step #3 . . . but then the email that we sent from the iPhone would have our Gmail Account information in the headers of our sent email, rather than our POP accounts reply-to information. Following Steps #2 and #3 make it appear as though the mail was still sent from our primary POP account.

Hope that's useful for someone else out there, that's been knocking their head against a wall trying to get their mail up and running. I'll post this on a few forums.

All the best --
D
GimmeGimmeMomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
gadgetgran
Prospect

Smile iphone sends emails

Thank you so much for the clear instructions for sending email on the iphone.
I am nearly 70 and find this phone wonderful, but couldn't send emails and was pleased to find I was not the only person. Your instructions were great and I am now in sending mode. Thank you.
gadgetgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
JonathanB

Thanks very much for this. It worked first time for me - and it would have driven me nuts if you had not provided the solution.

Jon Bastable
Old 04-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
ColleenLM

easier fix!!!

Hi All,

Spent some time with the apple help line. The problem with pop mail is they do not like to send when not on their server, so when you don't have their wifi on, will just reject it.

To fix this when you are not on wifi, go to your mail setting, in your settings for your pop mail account, go to outgoing. Turn the primary server off. Your wireless carrier's server should be listed under other smtp servers.

turn that one on.

pretty simple.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
wlanguide

LOL, cool tips GimmeGimmeMomo, I will try on my iPhone and let u guys know if it works.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
kckakes
Prospect

Thank you!!!

I tried your tips and they worked beautifully! I have had my iPhone for over a year and had to use my son's gmail account to send anyone an email. With them not knowing it was me, it would either go to their junk mail box or they would delete the message never having read it! I even got a gmail address for myself last night hoping for the best. THANK YOU!!!!! You have saved me so much time and frustration!!! I just wish I could get the last year of my life back....
kckakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
SirDice
MVP

It's somewhat of an old post but this just caught my eye:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeGimmeMomo
Like some other people out there, I haven't been able to get the Mail App on the iPhone to talk nice to my POP email host's server. It receives mail just fine, but will not send.

Just to clear things up. POP3 is a protocol that's used only to retrieve email. To send email the SMTP protocol is used. There's a distinct difference between the two. You cannot use POP3 to send email.

So, if you're able to retrieve your email just fine, POP3 is configured correctly. If you have problems sending email you should check the SMTP settings.

Last edited by SirDice; 08-12-2010 at 09:23 AM.
SirDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
1Belladonna

Thank You For the 1phone fix!!!

I can't thank you enough for the ihpone 4 fix! The instructions were clear and easy to follow. I would never have figured that out on my own.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
boundermanila

This is brilliant

Thanks so much for this .. none of the carriers in the Philippines had a clue. My IT team were (and are) baffled ... now my Blackberry can go back to the bin and I'm up an running ... this is conceivably the clearest and most useful fix i have ever come across.. thanks once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeGimmeMomo
Like some other people out there, I haven't been able to get the Mail App on the iPhone to talk nice to my POP email host's server. It receives mail just fine, but will not send. I've tried all the fixes I could find suggested out there, and had several back-and-forths with my server host's tech support, and then spent (literally) two hours with an upper level Apple tech trying to get the device and server working together . . . to no avail.

Until such time as my server opens up a new hole and allows easier access . . . or until Apple figures out some way to penetrate the pinpricks that are already there . . . I've come up with a reasonably good work-around that might be helpful for some of the others out there who are having similar issues.

It's a little convoluted, but it's easy to do, and there's no hacking/tinkering . . . so just follow it step-by-step.

1. Create a Gmail Account. Ultimately, you'll be sending your regular POP account mail through their server . . . so you'll need a Gmail Account.

2. Once that's created, there's an option to: "Use Gmail to send from your other email addresses" . . . and we're gonna get that set up now. To do that, log into your Gmail Account. Then go to Settings (at the top-right of screen). Then go to Accounts (the second Tab over). Then, where it says: "Send Mail As:", click on the option to "Add another email address". That'll open up another box that let's you fill in the name and email address of an alternative email account. Put your primary POP email account information here.

3. Gmail will then take you through a brief verification process, to determine if, indeed, you actually have access to the POP email account that you're trying to "spoof". Just follow the instructions.

4. Now, let's fix our iPhone's settings so that our POP account can use Gmail's Outgoing SMTP mail server. Go to your Mail Settings, and select your POP account (assuming you've already got one created that has the Incoming mail part working just fine). Scroll down to your Outgoing Mail Server settings, and either turn off your delinquent primary server and add a new server with the settings I'm about to give you. Or, what I did was, just change your primary server info to the following:

5. Here's the server settings that will work:

Host Name: smtp.gmail.com
User Name: use your full gmail email address
Password: use your gmail password
Use SSL: Turned On
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 587

6. Now, you should be able to send mail from your POP account through the Mail App on the iPhone, using Gmail's SMPT server as a proxy. You can already use the AT&T outgoing server settings in this same way, actually . . . but only when you're on the AT&T network (Edge or 3G) . . . not when you're on a Wi-Fi network.

Truth is, this trick would work even if we didn't do Step #2 and Step #3 . . . but then the email that we sent from the iPhone would have our Gmail Account information in the headers of our sent email, rather than our POP accounts reply-to information. Following Steps #2 and #3 make it appear as though the mail was still sent from our primary POP account.

Hope that's useful for someone else out there, that's been knocking their head against a wall trying to get their mail up and running. I'll post this on a few forums.

All the best --
D

Old 12-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
ElishaNYC

I have had the worst luck getting this to work, but finally got the outgoing mail servers working. I didn't realize it would reject them if I was on WiFi so what I did is I left the primary server as the smtp settings and then also turned the AT&T one as a back up. To do this you go to the email account settings, select the outgoing server, leave it on and scroll down the list and also turn on the AT&T one.

Now I need to figure out how to get emails to store in "sent mail"..

I'll try gmail as another option and see if they store. Pesky thing to get email set up!

On a side note, if you want an HTML sig, go to CoolGeex.com. They have a great one that includes an image. You'll get a custom link that you can bookmark to your homescreen that will launch your email with your sig in it!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
zipos

For some reason that doesnt work with my iphone 4. It insists sending email as gmail even after setting my real email to gmail settings as the default one.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
Jeannie

Wink I finally figured it out for me

I also had problem sending e-mails. I could receive them. I went to settings, click my email account (I use hotmail), click on the smtp, click on primary server.live.com (yours may say something different) then look for password...mine said optional...so I put in my password (same one you use for your account/same one you use for the incoming mail server) and low and behold I could send emails, pictures by email, etc.!! Good Luck!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
marjorie
Prospect

Question Help!!!

I have followed your instructions to the "T" and still cannot get my email. I have the new Iphone 4 from Verizon, just upgraded from a Blackberry where I was able to send and recieve email from my RoadRunner account with no problems. One of the mail reasons I upgraded to the iphone is becuase I need email for my business and thought this would be a better option than the bb. However, if I can't get my email, I may go back……….!!!!!

Any other suggestions or workarounds? I will try anything!

Thanks so much,
Marjorie

marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
marjorie
Prospect

Smile Fixed!

Got it to work now. Thanks so much.
marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
tardis56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanB
Thanks very much for this. It worked first time for me - and it would have driven me nuts if you had not provided the solution.

Jon Bastable

Hi
This worked for me but I now seem to get duplicate emails from the gmail account and my primary (added) BT account - how do I stop getting the duplicates?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #16
GProduction

Thumbs up IPhone problem sending mail fix

This fixed my problem with IPhone 4 Verizon. I am now able to send mail.

If this is an AOL issue try this:

On your iPhone:
-Select Settings
-Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars
-Select your AOL.com account
-Select SMTP from the Account Info Page
-Select SMTP from the SMPT Page
-From the smtp.aol.com page
-Check that the Server is ON
-Check that the Host Name is smtp.aol.com
-Check that your User Name is correct
-Check that you Password is correct
-Check that Authentication is set to Password
-The Server Port should be 587

I did this for a friend's phone and it fixed it. A lot of folks think that if they enter the info in the Incoming Server section it gets automatically copied to the Outgoing. It does not.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
churchstyle

Unhappy Iphone not able to send emails out

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjorie
I have followed your instructions to the "T" and still cannot get my email. I have the new Iphone 4 from Verizon, just upgraded from a Blackberry where I was able to send and recieve email from my RoadRunner account with no problems. One of the mail reasons I upgraded to the iphone is becuase I need email for my business and thought this would be a better option than the bb. However, if I can't get my email, I may go back……….!!!!!

Any other suggestions or workarounds? I will try anything!

Thanks so much,
Marjorie

I have this very same problem, I have come from a blackberry storm and I need the iphone for my personal and our business. I'm using a website company email called Storesecured and I used them email account for both businesses. I am able to received, but I can't send! I have my comcast, gmail & yahoo accts. set up with no problem. I have asked the company to help and they have, but to nothing that I was told has worked. But I did notice under the server for each account are all of the other servers, but they are turned off and I suppose this is correct. So lost and it has taken me all weekend to get this far!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #18
cachop57

Unhappy Success! But I now can't receive messages!

Thanks so much - I can now send my emails from my iPhone 4, BUT I now can't receive them. Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!
I've rechecked the settings for my POP account and they are the same as when I could previously receive mail. I didn't change anything there at all. Any ideas?
Thanks so much
Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
spokenup
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachop57
Thanks so much - I can now send my emails from my iPhone 4, BUT I now can't receive them. Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!
I've rechecked the settings for my POP account and they are the same as when I could previously receive mail. I didn't change anything there at all. Any ideas?
Thanks so much

If you didn't change anything then your phone would still be working. Take a closer look and make sure all of the settings stayed consistent. It might be worth it to rollback...
spokenup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
ChloeHobbes

Question After 2 months, can't send from iPhone

I have been successfully receiving and sending iPhone 4 (Verizon) emails for 2 months ---until today. Sending kept saying there was no password in my account info - there was, and I re-entered it 3 times. Still no send. I am on Earthlink with an SMTP server. All parameters in the account settings look fine and agree with my iPad which CAN send messages. Any other clues? I REALLY do not want to go through gmail...that's why I got an iPhone and not a Droid.
CH

Tags
email, iphone, send, sending, smtp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: