Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 08-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
compulsiveguile
Triple-A Player

IMAP, Gmail, Mac Mail, and MailActOn

This should be a pretty simple solution. I'm looking for an easy way to archive the messages I highlight in Mail. I have 3 Gmail accounts linked to Mac Mail (via IMAP), and I find it an inconvenience to place them in the "All Mail" folder because it's buried three-levels deep in the sidebar. Right-clicking and navigating that same way is a bit irritating, too.

I'm thinking that I can create a simple rule to simply select and archive with a keystroke using MailActOn, but I can't really decide how to create the rule. Also, I'm a bit confused by MailActOn.

I don't want Mail doing anything for me automatically...

Can anyone be of assistance?
compulsiveguile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
smorr
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsiveguile
This should be a pretty simple solution. I'm looking for an easy way to archive the messages I highlight in Mail. I have 3 Gmail accounts linked to Mac Mail (via IMAP), and I find it an inconvenience to place them in the "All Mail" folder because it's buried three-levels deep in the sidebar. Right-clicking and navigating that same way is a bit irritating, too.

I'm thinking that I can create a simple rule to simply select and archive with a keystroke using MailActOn, but I can't really decide how to create the rule. Also, I'm a bit confused by MailActOn.

I don't want Mail doing anything for me automatically...

Can anyone be of assistance?

To create an act-on rule (assuming you have act-On installed) just make a rule similar to below:
Name: Act-On: a | archive
Criteria: Every Message
Action: Move to folder ....

Once that rule is in place, a control-a key combination will automatically apply that rule, moving the selected messages to the folder.

Contact me directly smorr@indev.ca if you need further assistance.

Scott
(creator of Act-On)
smorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
compulsiveguile
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorr
To create an act-on rule (assuming you have act-On installed) just make a rule similar to below:
Name: Act-On: a | archive
Criteria: Every Message
Action: Move to folder ....

Once that rule is in place, a control-a key combination will automatically apply that rule, moving the selected messages to the folder.

Contact me directly smorr@indev.ca if you need further assistance.

Scott
(creator of Act-On)

Thanks for the quick response! Awesome, that's what I'm looking for. Now that I have a solution to that, I'm going to be a little pickier . Is it possible to create some boolean set either through Act-On, Mail, or Automator that will automatically move the message to the proper "All Mail" (archive) folder?

Example:
I select three messages in my email1@gmail.com mailbox, press ctrl-a, and the it automatically sends that to my email1@gmail.com "All Mail" folder. If I do it with email2@gmail.com, I want it to move to my email2@gmail.com "All Mail" folder.

It seems like a simple task (just a bunch of "if" statements strung together), but I can't think of the means to get there...
Old 08-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
smorr
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsiveguile
Thanks for the quick response! Awesome, that's what I'm looking for. Now that I have a solution to that, I'm going to be a little pickier . Is it possible to create some boolean set either through Act-On, Mail, or Automator that will automatically move the message to the proper "All Mail" (archive) folder?

Example:
I select three messages in my email1@gmail.com mailbox, press ctrl-a, and the it automatically sends that to my email1@gmail.com "All Mail" folder. If I do it with email2@gmail.com, I want it to move to my email2@gmail.com "All Mail" folder.

It seems like a simple task (just a bunch of "if" statements strung together), but I can't think of the means to get there...

No problem

Create multiple rules with the a keystroke and use the criteria of the rule to decide.
For example

Rule #1: Act-On: a | archive to email1.gmail
Criteria: Account is email1.gmail
Action: Move to email1.gmails all mail folder

Rule #2: Act-On: a | archive to email2.gmail
Criteria: Account is email2.gmail
Action: Move to email2.gmails all mail folder

Now if you select multiple messages, hitting ctrl-a will move all messages to their appropriate archival folders. messages that belong to neither account don't get moved.
smorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
compulsiveguile
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorr
No problem

Create multiple rules with the a keystroke and use the criteria of the rule to decide.
For example

Rule #1: Act-On: a | archive to email1.gmail
Criteria: Account is email1.gmail
Action: Move to email1.gmails all mail folder

Rule #2: Act-On: a | archive to email2.gmail
Criteria: Account is email2.gmail
Action: Move to email2.gmails all mail folder

Now if you select multiple messages, hitting ctrl-a will move all messages to their appropriate archival folders. messages that belong to neither account don't get moved.

Brilliant. Thanks so much! It's always so simple...

Tags
gmail, imap, mac mail, mailacton

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: