Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Blind Fool
Prospect

Way to delete a smart group from outside Address Book?

I recently created a smart group that linked to other smart groups, however now every time I click on it Address Book crashes.

So I would like to delete this group as I don't need, nor want, it anymore, however I obviously can't do that from within Address Book.

Does anyone know how to delete a smart group (or failing that, all smart groups) without loading the address book?
Blind Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
solipsism
MVP

First, close Address Book.app.

Then, go to ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Metadata. In this file there is a file for each Contact, Group and SmartGroup. The SmartGroups have a file extension of .abcdg. If you locate and double click a file ending with that extension Address Book will open up and highlight that SmartGroup. I'm assuming that the one you want to delete will immediately crash the Address Book. Once you locate it drag this file to Trash.

Now go locate the ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/AddressBook-v22.abcddb. This is the database file of your address book, but if you delete only this file or the Metadata folder your address will be rebuilt from the other so we need to remove this file as well, so drag it to Trash.

Open Address Book.
solipsism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Blind Fool
Prospect

Worked perfectly when I actually read it properly

Thanks a lot!
Blind Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
steve02476

I had the same problem, after playing around with "smart groups" - my AdressBook couldn't launch, it always gave a "quit unexpectly" error.

The fix recommended by solipsism also worked for me, perfectly!

When I opened the Metadata folder, there were 40-some files in there, with weird names. But I just sorted by date, and the most recent "smart group" name was there. I removed it from the folder and also removed the AddressBook-v22 file, and now Address Book launches just fine.

Thanks a ton, Blind Fool, Solipsism, and MacOSXHints! -Steve
steve02476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
lightspeedbiker

Angry

I had the same problem, after playing around with "smart groups" - my AdressBook. CPU useage would peghttp://forums.macosxhints.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

This fixed it!
lightspeedbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
MasterDood

tried solipsism's strategy

no luck! and i thought it was a very clever way to do it. i am unable to open address book in any case. and also for some reason, the finder search bar and spotlight are not working, so i need to be able to do this without their help... any idea? thanks so much!!!
MasterDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
solipsism
MVP

It sounds like you have some major underlying issues. I'd put in your system disc and do a reinstall, preserving users and network settings.
solipsism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
plugh

Talking

This fix worked great for me. Thank you so much. I was really sweating for a few minutes there.
plugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
jvanthof

Funny thing: this post helped me a LOT, BUT... It seemed that I removed ANOTHER group for some reason, because when I opened the AddressBook (which now did NOT crash anymore ), the smartGroup that I created the day before was still there, but another "regular" group that used to be there, was gone

Anyway, I'm so happy that I fixed this problem! Not only did my AddressBook crash on startup, also my Apple Mail program stalled and crashed every time I started it!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: