Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Hoffsta
Prospect

How To: Require password to launch application

Hi there,

I've recently started using Mail.app with my gmail account, love it, couldn't be happier. However, I'm concerned about the fact that all my email is now on my hard drive and easily accessible to anyone who uses my computer. Is there a way to require a password to launch Mail.app?

Please understand that I'm not much of a coder, so telling me to write a script without more detailed instructions won't help me much. I'm using 10.5.3.

Thanks

Last edited by ArcticStones; 06-25-2008 at 04:33 AM.
Hoffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

Your mail is not accessible to "anyone who uses [your] computer" - it is only accessible to those who are using your user account.
If someone else uses your computer, they should use their own user account.
If you don't want to log out, you can use Fast User Switching to switch to their account.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
gthing
Triple-A Player

The above poster is correct.

That said, you can remove read permissions to a program for everyone but root.
gthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
Hoffsta
Prospect

Ok, so here's the deal. I have a nosy ex-girlfriend who comes over and I think she's the type who looks through the call log in my cell phone and I wouldn't put it past her to snoop my inbox to see what I've been up to when I go to the bathroom or something. I often have a bunch of programs running with open projects churning and I don't want to log out every time she comes over. I see the easy solution is to just close Mail.app and not worry about it being opened again until I say so.

Any way to do this?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
ArcticStones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffsta
I have a nosy ex-girlfriend who comes over and I think she's the type who looks through the call log in my cell phone and I wouldn't put it past her to snoop my inbox...

Any way to do this?

I see that you’ve already upgraded (the girlfriend, that is).
Which is what I was going to suggest.

HP executive to Steve Wozniak
ArcticStones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:47 AM   #6
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffsta
Ok, so here's the deal. I have a nosy ex-girlfriend who comes over and I think she's the type who looks through the call log in my cell phone and I wouldn't put it past her to snoop my inbox to see what I've been up to when I go to the bathroom or something. I often have a bunch of programs running with open projects churning and I don't want to log out every time she comes over. I see the easy solution is to just close Mail.app and not worry about it being opened again until I say so.

No, the easy way* is to enable fast user switching on, switch to the login panel (which does not log you out), and make sure not to tell her the password. Or just use Keychain Access to lock the screen on command:

1. Launch Keychain Access, in the Utilities folder.

2. Open Keychain Access's preferences window.

3. Enable "Show status in menu bar". A lock will appear in the menu bar.

4. Click the lock and choose "Lock Screen".

And then stop letting her into your house at all, since you clearly do not trust her.

edit: * easy way because it will actually accomplish your goals and doesn't have little problems to work around or stuff to rig up
"WITTY QUOTE"

Last edited by Mikey-San; 06-25-2008 at 05:08 AM.
Mikey-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
brettgrant99
All Star

In the security section (at least on 10.4) is a tick box to require a password to wake the computer from sleep or screensaver. I use that, and then set one of the corners to start the screensaver.

I like the keychain lock, but I also like just shoving the mouse cursor in the corner.

Brett
brettgrant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Hoffsta
Prospect

Thanks for the replies all.

I think the fast user switching will work for me- I've never checked out that feature before because I'm normally the only one using this machine. This should keep snooping lil eyes out of my business.

As for the ex-girlfriend: no easy getting rid of her. She was in with the roommates long before I came around- I've gotta deal with it or move out...
Old 01-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
raimis

HEY!
haha i know it's been a million years since the last post... but this thread still comes up when i search the same subject. and i've found an answer!

using Disk Utility, you can create new "disk images" from folders and these disk images can require a password. (File>New>Disk Image From Folder)

*i figured this all out using what i learned from this article>>> http://www.eakes.org/66/password-pro...er-on-the-mac/

Using this method, i started by creating a folder in my Apps folder which i called "Password Apps." I dragged what I wanted to stay private in there and then created a disk image from it.
As an additional note (different from what is described @ that link), I chose to make a "Read/Write" image instead of the default–"compressed." I don't exactly know if that was necessary, but to me it sounded like it would make the contents of the disk image most usable.
Also, if you follow that link above, it tells you the only other thing you need to do which is to select "AES 128" encryption so that you can create a password in the next step.

now i had a "Password Apps" disk image created right next to the "Password apps" folder that i had made (so as of now, all apps and files were duplicate). i then opened all apps from within the disk image to make sure they worked. (they will probably be treated as new apps now and so you might have to redo some settings or import bookmarks) Because of that "resetting" i wouldn't delete the initial "Password Apps" folder until you are sure you haven't lost anything.

Once I was sure, I freely deleted the password apps folder. The other step is to then go through and replace any shortcuts to the apps or files so that they direct to your disk image apps instead of trying to find the ones you just trashed.

So now, when i turn my computer on, if I hit "Firefox" it tells me i have to input a password first. I then put in the password and the disk image is opened and everything runs smoothly through the entire session.
Then, if I'm leaving my computer around and I don't want kids to mess with certain things or snoopy eyes to search my history, I Quit any apps/files that are on that disk image and Eject it. Now everything is again password protected.
Voila!
-Ray

Unfortunately, if you want to add more to this in the future, you will have to go through the brief process again as the disk image creator basically creates a kind of partition with limited space. So it is limited to the initial size of the folder you created it with.
-if you decide you like this system and want an easier "in and out" type of situation, i'd suggest doing one disk image for apps and then another for more static files.... b/c you won't want to keep resetting those apps.
-also, in the file disk, you might be able to start it with some big space taker (movie file) that you'll simply delete right away in order to have available space to add or delete things. (no idea if this is actually how it works)
Old 01-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
ricede
All Star

[QUOTE=brettgrant99;478448]In the security section (at least on 10.4) is a tick box to require a password to wake the computer from sleep or screensaver. I use that, and then set one of the corners to start the screensaver.QUOTE]

in the screensaver section of system prefs - there is a slider to set the length of time before the screensaver kicks in. the lowest setting is 3 mins. using the hot corner to activate the screensaver means a wait of 3 mins before the locking starts working.

does anyone know if its possible to shorten this time somehow, preferably so that as soon as the screensaver is activated - the locking kicks in immediately ?
ricede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

?
The same setting (in Snow Leopard) to require a password from the screensaver - has the dropdown to set the time delay. Simply leave it set for 'immediately'.
If, instead, you mean to kick the screensaver in immediately, then create a "start Screensaver" hot corner, and drag your mouse to that corner when you leave your Mac - and Voila! You immediately need a password to leave the screensaver, even in the next second... (I did just try it, and the password box came up even though I had started screensaver only 5 seconds before)
DeltaMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
ricede
All Star

thanks deltamac
i was going by the slider in the screensaver window. i didn't realize there were settings in the security window. problem solved. much appreciated.
ricede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mail, osx, password

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: