Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #401
agentx
Hall of Famer

@MelbMan
I have requested what i need to see to fix the problem.
And maybe batchmod might do it but it might not too. It is NOT the answer to all problems of this nature.
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #402
MelbMan
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbMan
thanks AgentX
Luddite as i am , would this terminal command just give us an overview of the problem? Then it can be worked out what to do?

thank you and i will also read back old posts again

cheers

MelbMan

Ran this command and got this result

Code:
Last login: Tue Jan 18 16:24:30 on ttys000
Vincent-Longs-Mac-Pro:~ vincentlong$  ls -alOe /Volumes
total 8
drwxrwxrwt@  7 root         admin  hidden  238 18 Jan 16:03 .
 0: group:everyone deny add_file,add_subdirectory,directory_inherit,only_inherit
drwxrwxr-t  29 root         admin  -      1054 13 Jan 15:38 ..
drw-rw-r-T  41 vincentlong  staff  uchg   1462 21 Dec 16:37 DROBO
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root         admin  -         1 18 Jan 14:45 Macintosh HD -> /
drwx------@ 55 vincentlong  staff  -      1826  6 Jan 13:58 Macintosh HD-1
drwxrwxr-x  17 vincentlong  staff  -       646 13 Jan 14:49 Mirror
drwxrwxr-x  11 vincentlong  staff  -       442  4 Jan 15:57 Time Machine
Vincent-Longs-Mac-Pro:~ vincentlong$ 

drw-rw-r-T  41 vincentlong  staff  uchg   1462 21 Dec 16:37 DROBO
(THIS ABOVE IS re the DROBO)

Last edited by trevor; 01-18-2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: [code] tags
MelbMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #403
agentx
Hall of Famer

@MelbMan Excellent now we can fix it with this command.

Code:
sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/DROBO; sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/DROBO
You will be asked for your admin password, type it (you will not see any text), press enter and hopefully enjoy access to your Drobo again.

All the best.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #404
Frazjef
Prospect

I just gotta give a shout out BatChmod http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/6440/batchmod
It looks like I'm up and running, using my eternal hard drive with FCP. I tried all the stuff I read on here, and I'm not sure why it didn't work. I'm sure BatChmod did the exact same thing you've described here (just with a shiny exterior)... but it worked.
Frazjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #405
MelbMan
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx

Code:
You will be asked for your admin password, type it (you will not see any text), press enter and hopefully enjoy access to your Drobo again.

All the best.

_____

Thanks agentX,
if i run this will i run any risk of losing data at all if it goes pear shaped?

cheers

MM
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #406
agentx
Hall of Famer

No it will not delete anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #407
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentx

Code:

Quote:
if i run this will i run any risk of losing data at all if it goes pear shaped

Here is an explanation of what the two commands that agentx gave you actually do:

1) sudo gives you temporary root privileges.
chflags lets you manipulate file flags. In your case, you have the uchg flag set on the DROBO volume. uchg is the user immutable flag, in other words it is allowed to be set by ordinary users for files and directories that they own, and it signals that this file or directory should not be allowed to be changed.
nouchg tells chflags to unset the uchg flag.
/Volumes/DROBO tells chflags where to unset the uchg flag. In your case, it is the top level of your DROBO drive.

2) sudo again, it gives you temporary root privileges
chmod is the command to change file modes and ACLs. "File modes" is just a fancy Unix way of saying the permissions on a file or directory.
775 is just a shortened way (the explanation of how to shorten file modes is a little more advanced, so just trust me on this one) that the file or directory's owner can read, write, and execute, the group owner can also read, write, and execute, and other users (anybody else) can read and execute, but cannot write to it.
/Volumes/DROBO again tells chmod where to change the file mode.

As you can see, the commands are changing permissions and file flags, but do not have any effect on data.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #408
Hal Itosis
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Code:
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root         admin  -         1 18 Jan 14:45 Macintosh HD -> /
drwx------@ 55 vincentlong  staff  -      1826  6 Jan 13:58 Macintosh HD-1

That much smacks of a folder sitting in /Volumes possibly from a backup gone awry. I.e., the identically named "x" and "x-1" pairing. Do you really have two disks (and/or volumes/partitions) whose names are:

Macintosh HD
Macintosh HD-1

The first one looks normal, as its type is l (symbolic link). The latter (Macintosh HD-1) could be checked in Finder. It should appear to be an "alias" (not a directory) when viewed in Finder. Or, we could add inode numbers to the Terminal listing, and see whether its inode number is 2... or some much larger number:

ls -alOei /Volumes

or via (my personal favorite):

ls -Orbitlake /Volumes

Either way, the -i will show inode numbers and for true volumes it's usually a 2. (The symlinked boot volume doesn't count).

chown -R us /your\ base/

-HI-

Hal Itosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #409
MelbMan
Prospect

thanks agent X, DROBO unlocked! thanks Trevor too
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #410
MelbMan
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Itosis
That much smacks of a folder sitting in /Volumes possibly from a backup gone awry. I.e., the identically named "x" and "x-1" pairing. Do you really have two disks (and/or volumes/partitions) whose names are:

Macintosh HD
Macintosh HD-1

The first one looks normal, as its type is l (symbolic link). The latter (Macintosh HD-1) could be checked in Finder. It should appear to be an "alias" (not a directory) when viewed in Finder. Or, we could add inode numbers to the Terminal listing, and see whether its inode number is 2... or some much larger number:

ls -alOei /Volumes

ls -Orbitlake /Volumes

Either way, the -i will show inode numbers and for true volumes it's usually a 2. (The symlinked boot volume doesn't count).

Yes it was a backup/migration from an old machine gone wrong, caused many problems, should i delete the MACINTOSH HD -1 somehow? Have a permission / access problem in ADOBE BRIDGE (cant use image processor) due to this permissions stuff up
any clues on how to clean up the MACINTOSH HARD DRIVE?

Cheers

MM
Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #411
MelbMan
Prospect

Quote:

Macintosh HD
Macintosh HD-1

ls -alOei /Volumes

ls -Orbitlake /Volumes

OK used the ORBITLAKE command and got this.....

Last login: Wed Jan 19 12:19:06 on ttys000
Vincent-Longs-Mac-Pro:~ vincentlong$ ls -Orbitlake /Volumes
total 4
2 drwxrwxr-x 41 vincentlong staff - 1462 21 Dec 16:37 DROBO
2 drwxrwxr-x 11 vincentlong staff - 442 4 Jan 15:57 Time Machine
2 drwxrwxr-x 17 vincentlong staff - 646 13 Jan 14:49 Mirror
2 drwxrwxr-t 29 root admin - 1054 13 Jan 15:38 ..
1347665 lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin - 1 19 Jan 11:46 Macintosh HD -> /
26680 drwxrwxrwt@ 6 root admin hidden 204 19 Jan 11:48 .
Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #412
MelbMan
Prospect

Quote:
OK used the ORBITLAKE command and got this.....

Last login: Wed Jan 19 12:19:06 on ttys000
total 4
2 drwxrwxr-t 29 root admin - 1054 13 Jan 15:38 ..
26680 drwxrwxrwt@ 6 root admin hidden 204 19 Jan 11:48 .

Hi Hal

just re did the same terminal command after deleting a test account i had set up (it had read and write privileges) and here are new results...

Last login: Wed Jan 19 12:50:47 on ttys000
total 4
2 drwx------@ 55 vincentlong staff - 1826 18 Jan 16:33 Macintosh HD-1
26680 drwxrwxrwt@ 7 root admin hidden 238 19 Jan 13:44 .
2 drwxrwxr-t 30 root admin - 1088 19 Jan 14:06 ..
Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #413
Hal Itosis
Hall of Famer

Quote:
just re did the same terminal command after deleting a test account i had set up (it had read and write privileges) and here are new results...
Code:
      2 drwx------@ 55 vincentlong  staff  -      1826 18 Jan 16:33 Macintosh HD-1
1347665 lrwxr-xr-x   1 root         admin  -         1 19 Jan 11:46 Macintosh HD -> /

Hmm, okay... that "Macintosh HD-1" appears to be a bona-fide volume (a mounted share probably, judging by the drwx------ perms there). And everything with DOBRO appears to have been fixed by agentx & trevor. So you seem to be all set.

Does it all work fine?

EDIT: if i were you, i would consider renaming that "Macintosh HD-1" volume to something else. Maybe "Mac HD backup" or "TimeCapsuleDisk" or whatever.

chown -R us /your\ base/

-HI-

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 01-19-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Hal Itosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #414
MelbMan
Prospect

Quote:
Hmm, okay... that "Macintosh HD-1" appears to be a bona-fide volume (a mounted share probably, judging by the drwx------ perms there). And everything with DOBRO appears to have been fixed by agentx & trevor. So you seem to be all set.

Does it all work fine?

EDIT: if i were you, i would consider renaming that "Macintosh HD-1" volume to something else. Maybe "Mac HD backup" or "TimeCapsuleDisk" or whatever.

All seems ok but i do have a problem running ADOBE BRIDGE (Image processor command is not avaialable) and this stems from the bad install. Is there anyway of checking permissions on BRIDGE and prb the whole hard drive to see if things can be set right?

cheers

MM
Old 01-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #415
trevor

Personally, I would rename both Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD-1. It's pointless to keep the boot hard drive name at it's default, make it something personal to you.

Quote:
All seems ok but i do have a problem running ADOBE BRIDGE (Image processor command is not avaialable) and this stems from the bad install. Is there anyway of checking permissions on BRIDGE and prb the whole hard drive to see if things can be set right?

This is going off-topic to this thread, it would be better for you to either find an existing thread about problems with an Adobe Bridge install, or else create a new thread. I will just say, very briefly, that you should try uninstalling and then reinstalling Adobe Bridge, if you even need it. Bridge is one of the more problematic parts of the Creative Suites, I personally think you're better off just removing it and not even trying to reinstall.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #416
MelbMan
Prospect

A side note, since running the terminal command i am now seeing "home" and "net" folders appearing in my ADOBE BRIDGE windows, have attached a screen snap. Is this normal?
can i fix it?

Cheers

MM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a Screen shot 2011-01-20 at 1.59.58 PM.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	4150  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #417
MelbMan
Prospect

Quote:

Does it all work fine?

Hi Hal

I ran disk utility verify permissions and got this

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

wondering is the root of my problem with permissions?

cheers

MM
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #418
agentx
Hall of Famer

@MelbMan - Disk Utility Repair permissions will only correct Apple Installed System Files and a few other things too. It often will not correct everything.

The home/net folder should be invisible and are used as mount points when you are connected to server with a Network/Domain accounts. Do not delete as they are part of the UNIX core files.

As far as Macintosh HD-1 what is going on with that one ?
Is it a clone of your main drive ? or a mounted drive on network ?
If it is a mounted drive on another machine i would probably rename it to MacHD or something else to stop any confusion.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #419
Poindexter333
Prospect

Greetings all. *Please* forgive me but I have a bit of an eye problem (diabetes) and trying to go through all of this post has given me a headache, with so many terminal codes flying back and forth, and I DO NOT want to make a mistake and trash my critical back up external drive.

I too have gotten the dreaded "custom permission/owner enabled no" problem after using disk utility on my partitioned WD external - where the non-OS X 10.6 installed partition works just fine!

Please tell me the exact terminal codes to enter and I will report back the results. I know the answers are probably in here somewhere but this Terminal stuff is voodoo to me and I can't screw this up. TIA a 1,000 times!

Any ideas on why did this happen? I thought Disk Utility wouldn't crash things?
Poindexter333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #420
Poindexter333
Prospect

Hi again. I tried what I think is an ok command, *ls -alO /Volumes*
--and got back this:
ls -alO /Volumes
total 8
drwxrwxrwt@ 6 root admin hidden 204 Feb 7 21:03 .
drwxrwxr-t 29 root admin - 1054 Feb 7 19:36 ..
drw-rw-r--@ 42 tina staff uchg 1496 Jan 29 04:05 Hal's Cortex XI-b
drwxrwxr-x@ 159 tina staff - 5474 Feb 7 18:39 Hal's Cortex XII
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin - 1 Feb 7 19:36 Hal's Cortex XIβ3 -> /
drw-rw-r--@ 89 root admin uchg 3094 Feb 6 13:31 Pod IV

Where Hal's Cortex XIβ3 is the internal (MBA)
Hal's Cortex XII is the data-only partition on the external
Pod IV and Hal's Cortex XI-b both have installed OSX 10.6 on them- both are locked of course after D.U. use. Argh.

MODERATOR PLEASE COMBINE WITH MY EARLIER POST BELOW IF IT ISN'T TOO MUCH TROUBLE. SORRY!

Greetings all. *Please* forgive me but I have a bit of an eye problem (diabetes) and trying to go through all of this post has given me a headache, with so many terminal codes flying back and forth, and I DO NOT want to make a mistake and trash my critical back up external drive.

I too have gotten the dreaded "custom permission/owner enabled no" problem after using disk utility on my partitioned WD external - where the non-OS X 10.6 installed partition works just fine!

Please tell me the exact terminal codes to enter and I will report back the results. I know the answers are probably in here somewhere but this Terminal stuff is voodoo to me and I can't screw this up. TIA a 1,000 times!

Any ideas on why did this happen? I thought Disk Utility wouldn't crash things?
Poindexter333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom access permission, disk locked, external hard drive, no access, permission, permissions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: