Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 189
How to reduce file size of photos in iPhoto? (I must be a moron)

Yes, i must be because I can't figure this out.
I want to post picture on my blog but they are 1.5 MB pictures in iPhoto. How in the world do you reduce the size of pictures in iPhoto? I have looked in help and it never tells you how to make it smaller unless you email it.
Anyone want to enlighten this moron, I would gladly appreciate it!
__________________
Please see this website, www.pfwbs.org it could save the life of your child. Parents for Window Blind Safety.
Kaisermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 189
Alright, 12 of you have read this. So, maybe I am not a moron and no body knows.
Hmmmm.
__________________
Please see this website, www.pfwbs.org it could save the life of your child. Parents for Window Blind Safety.
Kaisermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
wdympcf
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,183
File > Export...

In the Export Photos dialog box, select the File Export tab, and select the kind that you want (JPEG for example). Choose the quality and size that you like and click Export.

If you are using one of the popular blog engines, you may have a plugin available for iPhoto that allows you to upload your photos directly to your blog from iPhoto. You may want to look into that. For example, I use an iPhoto plugin for Gallery called iPhototoGallery that is quite convenient. Obviously you're talking about blogging and not Gallery, but it's an example of what you might find out there in the wild.

Oh almost forgot... the old adage "don't put yourself down, there's enough people in the world waiting to do it for you" applies here. Sometimes you're just looking for something to be harder than it actually is.

Last edited by wdympcf; 06-07-2008 at 12:25 AM.
wdympcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
appleman_design
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,550
You can also use preview to reduce the file size... No one is a moron... just lack of knowledge.
appleman_design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Sparky9292
Triple-A Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 198
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisermo
Yes, i must be because I can't figure this out.
I want to post picture on my blog but they are 1.5 MB pictures in iPhoto. How in the world do you reduce the size of pictures in iPhoto? I have looked in help and it never tells you how to make it smaller unless you email it.
Anyone want to enlighten this moron, I would gladly appreciate it!

Yeah, you have to FILE->EXPORT them. If you use iWeb, or the web publishing feature in iPhoto... it will do all of the compression automagically for you.
Sparky9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
hughvane
Major Leaguer
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisermo
How in the world do you reduce the size of pictures in iPhoto?

I'm not sure if you posted this question in another forum, but I answered a similar question by recommending AppleWorks-Drawing. It is so simple and yet so effective.
1. Open AW->Drawing and drag the .jpg image into the vacant window,
2. use Scale By Percent (under Arrange) to reduce your pic,
3. use File -> Save As and use JPEG [QT] as the file format.

I did the above for my avatar, reducing 140 Kb to just 12 Kb.

A slightly rougher/shorter method in AWks is to drag one of the corner handles of the image inward.
__________________
G4 eMac 1.25 GHz, OS 10.4.11
G3 iMac 600, OS 10.3.9
G3 PPC b/w 350, dual-drives, dual-OS, 10.3.9 and 9.2.2
Numerous peripheral gadgets - all working.

Last edited by hughvane; 06-07-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Correction
hughvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdympcf
File > Export...

In the Export Photos dialog box, select the File Export tab, and select the kind that you want (JPEG for example). Choose the quality and size that you like and click Export.

If you are using one of the popular blog engines, you may have a plugin available for iPhoto that allows you to upload your photos directly to your blog from iPhoto. You may want to look into that. For example, I use an iPhoto plugin for Gallery called iPhototoGallery that is quite convenient. Obviously you're talking about blogging and not Gallery, but it's an example of what you might find out there in the wild.

Oh almost forgot... the old adage "don't put yourself down, there's enough people in the world waiting to do it for you" applies here. Sometimes you're just looking for something to be harder than it actually is.

I am really surprised that iPhoto does not give you an option to reduce in edit mode. Wasn't the whole purpose of the new iPhoto so we could organize our photo's easier? If I export them, then they go outside of iPhoto.
I downloaded the link you gave me. Not sure how to use it. Are their directions?
__________________
Please see this website, www.pfwbs.org it could save the life of your child. Parents for Window Blind Safety.
Kaisermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
wdympcf
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,183
The link that I gave you is only useful if you are using Gallery. If you do not have a webhost that you can install Gallery on (or a local webserver of your own), then this is of no use to you. Are you interested in using Gallery?

Incidentally, why do you want to shrink the size of your photos inside your iPhoto library? I prefer to keep the pictures in my iPhoto library at full quality.
wdympcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
WirelessInn
Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27
Kaisermo,
I'll throw something else at ya: ImageWell by XtraLean Software. It's been recommended in a number of Mac oriented forums, and, most importantly, it's a lot of fun to play with. Trial available, purchase later: extremely well worth it!
www.xtralean.com
Try it!
- Roger T
WirelessInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdympcf
The link that I gave you is only useful if you are using Gallery. If you do not have a webhost that you can install Gallery on (or a local webserver of your own), then this is of no use to you. Are you interested in using Gallery?

Incidentally, why do you want to shrink the size of your photos inside your iPhoto library? I prefer to keep the pictures in my iPhoto library at full quality.

I have a .mac account and I wanted to make my pictures reduced so that the loading time is not so long for viewers. They have said it has been taking some time to load.
__________________
Please see this website, www.pfwbs.org it could save the life of your child. Parents for Window Blind Safety.
Kaisermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
wdympcf
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
I have a .mac account and I wanted to make my pictures reduced so that the loading time is not so long for viewers. They have said it has been taking some time to load.

Okay, I think I'm starting to understand your dilemma now. But you don't want to reduce the size of the photo in iPhoto either, because then you're degrading the quality of your own photos. What you need is for .mac publishing to provide you the same options as File > Export... does. Unfortunately, I don't know if that's possible. I'm not in front of my Mac at the moment, but does the Web Gallery tab in iPhoto > Preferences give you any option to set the export size?
wdympcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdympcf
Okay, I think I'm starting to understand your dilemma now. But you don't want to reduce the size of the photo in iPhoto either, because then you're degrading the quality of your own photos. What you need is for .mac publishing to provide you the same options as File > Export... does. Unfortunately, I don't know if that's possible. I'm not in front of my Mac at the moment, but does the Web Gallery tab in iPhoto > Preferences give you any option to set the export size?

No, it does not give me an option for that.
__________________
Please see this website, www.pfwbs.org it could save the life of your child. Parents for Window Blind Safety.
Kaisermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
Old Toad
Triple-A Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 212
Quote:
I have a .mac account and I wanted to make my pictures reduced so that the loading time is not so long for viewers. They have said it has been taking some time to load.

If you're creating the gallery in iWeb then once in iWeb and setting up the gallery go to the Inspector/Photos/Photos pane and select the size of the file you want available for download.

If you're creating the gallery directly from iPhoto use the Setting button at the bottom when in the Gallery mode and set the size of photos there. As long as you use iPhoto or iWeb the control of the file size can be controlled by easily.
Old Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
wdympcf
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
If you're creating the gallery directly from iPhoto use the Setting button at the bottom when in the Gallery mode and set the size of photos there. As long as you use iPhoto or iWeb the control of the file size can be controlled by easily.

How do you get to "Gallery Mode"? I wasn't aware that there was such a mode. But then, I don't use .mac Web Gallery.
wdympcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
Old Toad
Triple-A Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 212
In iPHoto 8 select a group or album of photos and click on the Web Gallery button in the bottom tool bar. If the button isn't there then go to the View->Toolbar menu item and select it. Then an iPhoto web gallery is created where you can opt to have people download photos or not and set the size of the files to be downloaded. Publish the gallery and you'll get the chance to notify people via email that the galley is available for viewing. You can even password protect the gallery with a user name and password.

This is a test gallery of mine that you can see how it works.
Old Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site design © IDG Consumer & SMB; individuals retain copyright of their postings
but consent to the possible use of their material in other areas of IDG Consumer & SMB.