Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 06-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
infinitejest

IOATA Controller Device Blocking Bus ...

Hi All,

My iBook G4 10.4 just fritzed out - frozen, forced shut down, then on reboot will only display grey apple screen with turning gear and never (after about ~ 1hour) progress to login screen.

Safe Mode will not work, I tried resetting the PMU (?) on the suggestion of another post, which did not seem to work.

I restarted in verbose mode, which repeated the threads topic line over and over:

IOATAController Device Blocking bus.

I've read other posts describing this as eminent hard drive failure - which I'm thrilled about if it's really that cheap a fix - but I'd like to be sure it's the hard drive before I shell out the cash for a replacement and find someone to help me put it in.

Also, any illuminating information on what this actually means would also be appreciated.

Any suggestions?
infinitejest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

Welp! It's likely either your Hard Drive or Optical Drive. I suggest that you follow the procedures on iFixIt to remove your hard drive and then test to see if it boots your OS X disc. If so, you need a new drive. If not, put the drive back in and remove the optical drive and try booting the HD. If it boots okay, you need a new optical drive.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
infinitejest

The machine boots from a CD - into install extra mode - as is - but crashes when I attempt to run disk fix.

Does that confirm it absent actually removing the HD - or does that process bypass the optical drive as well?

Thank you for prompt response.
infinitejest is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: