Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
qickrush
Prospect

mac mail email messages disappear

In Mac mail, when I click to open any sub folder, all the messages in that folder disappear. The problem has forced me to stop using mac mail and switch to Entourage (which is a pretty poor app in itself - nothing like as good as outlook - and of course doesnt synch with the other mac apps) which is a shame.
I cant afford to keep losing emails, or lose the time by using Time Machine to recover from the previous day. I've noticed posts about JUnk email doing this but nothing about personal folders

help, anyone?
qickrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
appleman_design
Hall of Famer

check to see that you dont have "view only unread messages" check on the prefs.
appleman_design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player

The same thing is happening to me.
I don't think I have that option checked.
How do I get to that option?
I am also getting numbers in my sent box column that makes it look like I have not read them.
Weird.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player

Hey.
I have 2 labtops on my wireless internet. One of them is new and I just went and selected to leave messages on the server for 5 days. When I go to that computer mail, I get the messages that is taken OUT of my Mac Mail on my Mac on the other computer.
So I selected both to leave messages on for 5 days after downloading.
Are you in this kind of situation? I will let you know if this helps me.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player

Bump.
quickrush, still having issues?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
EatsWithFingers
All Star

What are your e-mail settings? For example:

POP or IMAP?
'Leave copy on server' or 'download to machine'?
Does the server automatically delete read messages after a period of time?
Do you synchronise your mailbox with the server?

Of course, it could be a permissions or preferences issue. Does the problem exist in a new account?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
qickrush
Prospect

mac mail messaages disappear

Tx all for the suggestions.
I cant find "view only unread messages" in Pref's - am I missing something stupid?

The folders that 'lose' the messages are imported folders - and I only lose the content of the folder when I click on the folder to open it. When opened, the folder is empty. If I retrieve (from time machine) next time around...it happens again. I dont think its limited to specific folders - other than imported folders. Never to mailbox or ...I think...to new folders I create.

I read somewhere that the way one sets the folders up is critical (that some sub-folders can be lost totally)...true?

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
Q
Old 05-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

Have you rebuilt the offending mailboxes after Time Machine restores? Any time you restore an account it should be rebuilt immediately.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #9
qickrush
Prospect

OK, Ive done all these things and the problem keeps coming back (or rather, persists in not going away!). Its only when I CLICK to open a folder that the messages inside that folder mysteriously disappear - forever.Its only to do with Imported folders, and doesnt happen with INBOX or SENT etc.
Q
Old 12-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
lemonflowers

I have the same problem as qickrush and this is my first mac so I'm really confused. In the ON MY MAC folder, I made a subfolder then another subfolder and that is the one that the messages keep disappearing. I thought that if you saved messages in that folder, they would be safe from any email configurations anyway. But like I say, this is all new to me. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #11
chriswjones
Prospect

Recover Sent Mail box - Not send mail though

This has got to be the most frustrating part about the Mac. Unfortunately this 'work around' does not recover previous sent items. Without teaching grandma to suck eggs, I'd advise to create folder within Mail with monthly back ups of your outgoing and incoming emails. Its nice 'n easy and when something like your set items disappears, you haven't lost everything. I don't use a time machine so can't comment. (basically I regard time machine as an added cost like car insurance. That's why I walk to work).

You can try the reset button but if like what happened to me. It doesn't do anything at all. Here's the instruction for reset anyway.

Open Mail.
Goto Mailbox menu item.
Choose Rebuild (it's at the bottom).

Quit MAil and restart it again.

If that works your in luck. Can't promise you will get your elusive sent emails back though.

OK, to reset your Mail client completely. First you may want to see if you can find your emails. So follow this path> Macintosh HD/User/<USERNAME>/Library/Mail

Have a quick browse in there to see if you can locate your elusive emails. Unfortunately I doubt you'll have any luck.

Now you can go through to the preferences folder which is at the end of this finder path> Macintosh HD/User/<USERNAME>/Library/Preferences.

QUIT MAIL for this part

Find the plist file com.apple.mail.plist
Make sure you know all your email ISP connection details before you go on to the next part.

Drag the com.apple.mail.plist to the Bin/Trash/Garbage(what ever just make sure it,s deleted).

Back up a copy of MessageRules.plist to your desktop

Restart Mail.
It seems like it will take you back as though you've never used Mail before, filling all the details to connect to your ISP. When its over Mail will recreate any folder that you may have and reset your defaults. It may or may not continue your original message rules too.

If Message rule has not continued. Open up the path> Macintosh HD/User/<USERNAME>/Library/Mail and drag the rule (MessageRules.plist) you backed up on you desktop to the Mail folder and replace the existing one. Then Restart Mail.

Hope that helps. Sorry it can't get your emails back.
chriswjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
sharper11

Could GMail cause the problem

I've had a similar problem in my main Mac mailbox, but I also pull my Mac mail in my GMail account. Gmail says that even if you tell Gmail to leave messages on the server "some email services may still delete your messages when Gmail fetches them."

Wonder if that could be the problem?

Steve
Old 02-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
macit

Mine Disappears too - but sometimes reappears

I have 7 IMAP accounts. In only one of them, (fastmail.fm) and only with it's Inbox, (not Sent or Drafts) the mail randomly all disappears. Except that the unread count is still there. And leave and come back and it's back. Sometimes.

This started with 10.6's Mail app, and had a somewhat consistent behavior: if you watch the inbox, and mail comes in, it appears. If you leave the mailbox and come back, it's gone. Those never came back. This was consistent on both my laptop and my desktop. I tried rebuilds and small stuff with no change. So I erased the account completely and resynched it. All messages were there until I clicked into another mailbox & came back to the inbox then poof--no Messages.

I removed the Rules file. Same behavior. I upgraded to Lion (Mail 5.2) same behavior. I deleted everything related to Mail. ~/Library/Mail and com.apple.mail.plist. Started from scratch and put all the accounts back in. Now I have the random coming and going like I described in the first paragraph. But only with this one IMAP account. All others are perfectly behaved.

What file or process is still in play after that level of starting over? It seems only how Mail communicates with fastmail.

Any ideas or experience that would suggest a direction? I'm currently working around it on the desktop by letting gmail get fastmail's messages, since gmail has no issue. The laptop is free to play with wild suggestions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: