Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 03-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
emporioo

Mac Mail not receiving emails

I been trying to set up my website email with the mac mail application through POP, but I am having a hard time receiving incoming mail messages.

I can easily send emails with this email address, but I am not receiving emails back in my inbox.

I think the problem might be in my incoming mail server. I do not know if I am setting the incoming mail server correctly.
I have set it up as mail.domain.com

Is there a reason why I am not receiving emails into my inbox for this email account? Do you guys know how to alter the incoming mail server so I can receive emails in my inbox?
emporioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
emporioo

Bump!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
jccrouch
Prospect

I have the same problem. I can send email through Mail but as of 3 days ago, I am suddenly no able to receive emails into my inbox for this email account. I'm running OS 10.5.2 and Mail 3.2.
jccrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
emporioo

bump, Can anyone help?
Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
mnewman
MVP

Whoever is hosting your web site should be able to tell you what the mail server name should be mail.yourdomain.com or pop3.yourdomain.com or something else. No way we can know.

Or, am I not understanding your problem?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
jccrouch
Prospect

Mac Mail not receiving emails

I have reviewed all of the settings with my email provider and have used these settings successfully for a long time. The email provider insists that the problem is not on their end and that it is an issue with Mac Mail.I have also used Mail 3.2 successfully until a few days ago when it just stopped downloading my email. Steps I have taken:

1. Reviewed and re-entered all email settings with provider.
2. Shut down and restart.
3. Searched Apple's site and elsewhere on line for solutions to no avail.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 PM   #7
jccrouch
Prospect

Just fixed my problem by clicking on the tilde to the right of the inbox on Mail. I apparently should have done this after re-entering all of my email provider settings. Kind of a big "duh" once you know the answer.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
swedishmonica

I have my mac mail as my business e-mail and since a few days ago I don't receive e-mails from any yahoo accounts and when I send one to a yahoo account it will come back a few days later as undelivered... What is wrong I can receive and send emails to everything else, just Yahoo!!! My business is internet based so it is very important that I receive all e-mails. I need help!!! Please
Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Fraser
Prospect

I use Gmail as my email system but on the 24th July all incoming emails stopped appearing on my Mac Mail screen although they are still coming through to Gmail, which I can access via Safari. The second thing I noticed is that if I try to send an email via Mac Mail the send stops half way through and just hangs there. The email does actually get sent but Mail still tells me that it is still in the process of being sent.

The third thing is that, since the 24th, my computer seems to working slower than it did before. Anybody any ideas??
Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
DE9
Major Leaguer

As far as your Mail problem, have you tried going into the Preferences for mail, deleting your current account, and adding a new one? That has fixed that problem for me a number of times.

If Mail is running all the time on your computer, and it's constantly trying to connect to the Gmail server but not working correctly, that could be causing a bit of slow down. In your Applications > Utilities folder, there is an app called Activity Monitor. That will show you the active processes and how much memory and CPU usage they are taking. That could help you narrow down the 'slow down' problem.
DE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
sanjmeh
Prospect

I don't think we got the final reply on the original question. I also faced this problem long back - one fine day suddenly new mails were not showing in my inbox while they were coming in as I could here the ding sound as soon a new mail used to hit me.
Can jccrouch please explain what was that tilde solution you applied?
sanjmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #12
Rupert
Prospect

Mac Mail - POP mail on server but will not download

There is POP mail sitting on my YAHOO server and if I go on to YAHOO mail but will not download to mac mail, it has been working without problem for 1 1/2 anything past the 4th August says it is downloading but it is not.

I have re-installed the mail and tried with other accounts and all is fine? any ideas why the mail is not being downloaded?

Thank you
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
DE9
Major Leaguer

I believe this is the 'tilde' that he was referencing. This usually shows when the account is "Offline".

Rupert,

Have you tried logging into your Yahoo account through a web browser, like Safari, and disabling, then re-enabling the POP settings?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
Rupert
Prospect

Mac Mail - POP mail on server but will not download

yes, I can even get the mail on my iphone just the mac mail
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
DE9
Major Leaguer

Have you tried removing and re-adding your Yahoo account through the Mail preferences?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #16
wfdTamar

Another case of Yahoo mail not coming through to Mac Mail. It tries, shows the progress bar for a short time, but no mail comes in. The Yahoo website mail works normally.

I've tried Rebuild in the Mailbox menu.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
ssm

I'm having the same problem with incoming Yahoo mail. Mail recognizes the messages on the server, but won't download. Any solutions?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #18
bew

I was having this same issue - most frustrating. I've just installed the latest combined update for Mac OSX. Once I'd rebooted and reopened Mail, it went through an update process and everything now seems ok.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: