Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > OS X Server

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
cocotu
Triple-A Player

Cannot resolve name

we have a mix of macs and win computers. All computers are able to resolve names, but NOT the Mac OS X server. I can connect to the internet fine and to local server using the IP only. We are running DNS server on a windows server, I'm able to ping the DNS server from the Mac OS X server. I'm using the /etc/hosts file momentarily, but that should not be the way. Any suggestions?
Thanks..
Old 03-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
agentx
Hall of Famer

In system prefs > Network > Ethernect > TCP/IP check
have you have entered the Windows DNS server IP address where it says DNS servers and it is has to be first in the list. I tend also to put in two other external DNS servers (ie. open DNS) as well as a kind of fall over for external internet services, unless of course you have two DNS servers in your network.

So this may help ?
agentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
cocotu
Triple-A Player

I have the DNS listed correctly. IP addresses are setup manually. What is the difference bet. Manually & Using DHPC with manual address? I have 2 NiC, should I change them to Using DHCP with manual address? thanks.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
agentx
Hall of Famer

that is curious....

Have you checked that forward and reverse DNS is working correctly on OS X server.

Terminal command : sudo changeip -checkhostname
If it says its OK then not sure what is going on....if it say things are wrong fix them and see if it can resolve correctly after fix. You will need to use the changeip command to fix things.

And it is fine to have manual address's usually in a DHCP exclusion zone to stop any conflicts.

I tend not to use DHCP with manual address set up as it has been on and off working....so stopped using it.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
cocotu
Triple-A Player

At this moment we are not running DNS server at OS X server, we used to. Now DNS service is run by a Win server. Even when we were running DNS at OS X server it did not resolved the names at the OS X server. For example if I wanted to connect or remote desktop from OS X server to one of our Win Server or other Windows machines I had to use the IP. I'm just wondering why the OS X server has never resolved the names. We are in the same LAN and we are able to connect to the OS X server by name as well. thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
agentx
Hall of Famer

I understand the windows machines is the DNS server! and the fact that at some point the X server was running as a DNS server only compounds me to think that the server is not resolving due to an internal/legacy dns setup.

so if you run the command and see what it says then fix the hostname/IP etc.....if it is incorrect...then see if it resolves after a reboot (if possible)
It could be the IP/hostname of machine has changed and/or and an old dns entry is being honored which will screw the X server form resolving address's on internal network which sounds to me like the problem you are having.

In my experience for x server to work correctly DNS must be working fully, this means it has a FQDN that has forward and reverse DNS(this can come from any DNS server ie. itself,internal or external)

maybe report back once you have tried my suggestions
Old 03-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
cocotu
Triple-A Player

sudo changeip -checkhostname

Primary address = 172.27.0.200

Current HostName = good.bhvr.net

The DNS hostname is not available, please repair DNS and re-run this tool.

when I do hostname I get the hostname. I'm confused. thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #8
agentx
Hall of Famer

So i thin kwe are getting closer to resolving issue.

Is the IP address(172.27.0.200) correct ?

Is the hostname (good.bhvr.net) correct ?

First thing is to check :
On windows DNS server check the entry for the OS X server and make sure it matches what checkhostname says.

if iy doe snot match not then set this using the changeip command.
ie. sudo changeip - 172.27.0.200 IP_ADDRESS_NOW good.bhvr.net NEWHOSTNAME

run sudo changeip -checkhostname this shoudl match teh entries on your windows serevr and should say that everything is OK. or should look like this. Is the OS x server fixed manual IP address ? If not make sure it does not change if you are using DHCP.

Primary address = 192.168.1.200 (The IP address of server)

Current HostName = server.domain.com
DNS HostName = server.domain.com

The names match. There is nothing to change.

may need a reboot but could work without....good luck.
I have a feeling that once all this is done it should resolve correctly internal DNS address's.

Also if you are using etc/hosts to set things you may need to remove entries you have created.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
cocotu
Triple-A Player

savage,

1. The IP address is correct- 172.27.0.200
2. The hostname is correct- good.bhvr.net
3. On the win DNS server the entry matches what the checkhostname says- FQDN=good.bhvr.net
4. The OS X server has a manual IP address (I tested it both ways: Manually & Using DHCP with manual address) both gave same results.

I change it again back to Manually, because I noticed that when setup as Using DHCP with manual address I got a different subnet- 255.255.0.0 and it was also not seeing the router which is the DHCP server. Now I'm able to resolve name outside the LAN, but still not able to see anything inside the LAN. Very strange! thanks savage
Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
davidrspotts

Savage,

Primary address = 192.168.1.2
Current HostName = server.thearrowoodcompanies.com
The DNS hostname is not available, please repair DNS and re-run this tool.

this is what I am up against. how do i fix the DNS? This is a lone server on an all mac network. 10.5 server.
davidrspotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
agentx
Hall of Famer

Don't use or support 10.5 server yet so cant really help mate.
Have it on a test server but too busy to piss around with it !

I presume entries are correct ie. IP address/hostname has not changed since installing OS

But normal DNS troubleshooting should help :

How does your company do DNS ( the 10.5 server or another internal DNS server)

Make sure entries have not changed, use changeip to reset DNS on server etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: