Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
plexter
Prospect

Question MAC OSX 10.5.2 Auto Map Network Drive

Hello all,

My environment consists of some MACs in a Windows Active Directory environment.

I'm trying to MAP to some shared drives via active directory username when the user logs into the MAC. I don't want the user to have to be prompted for a password as it should automatically use the active directory credentials.

Now I have some MAC computers running 10.4 where I had a script start up to map some network drives. This seemed to work fine for the most part.

I've recently got a new MAC running 10.5 where firstly my script no longer would work and secondly whenever mapping to a network drive I am prompted to login again. I no not want to have to save to the keychain as this will change when the user changes the active directory password.

Does anyone know how to get mapping drives working properly again?

Please let me know.
Thanks in advance!
plexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
giskard22

Would you like to show your script? You can use single lines of AppleScript to do this. You also didn't say what kind of shares you're using.

There have been many troubles with AD binding under 10.5. Supposedly 10.5.2 fixed the problems, but in my environment Kerberos still doesn't work for SMB shares.
giskard22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
plexter
Prospect

Thanks for the reply.

Not much point in showing the script as it no longer works in 10.5 something to do with the type of scripting no longer being supported.

The shares are SMB and I gather I am having the same issues as you are?

All I want is for the shared drives to map without any hassles or prompts when the active directory user logs into the MAC.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
giskard22

For each share, you can make a one line AppleScript:

mount volume "smb://server/share"

Assuming Kerberos is working, and the user is logging in with a network account, that should just work if the script (saved as an application) is in the user's login items list.

Now, if it works for AFP shares but not for SMB, you're running into the same problem I am. But it doesn't seem to be widespread.

BTW, MAC is for network interface addresses. Mac is short for Macintosh.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
plexter
Prospect

Hello again,

On the 'Mac' when I go to the terminal and type the exact same command as you wrote above, substituted with my real values of course, I get the following:

username$ mount volume "smb://path.com/share"

mount: realpath /Users/username/smb:: No such file or directory

Or if I run my script:

Code:
tell application "Finder"
     try
         mount volume "smb://path.com/share"
     end try
end tell
The script prompts me for a username/password to use.

However if I use this exact same script on Mac 10.4 or below the shares map perfectly fine without any prompts.

I also tried using just mount volume "smb://path.com/share" in a script and I get the same prompt.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
giskard22

AppleScript commands must be run from Script Editor (or osascript). You can't just enter them in bash.

And as for Script Editor, I told you it was only one line. There's no need to 'tell application' or anything like that.

The 'mount volume' command seems to use the same login facilities as the Finder. If you have a saved user/password in a keychain, or if you have a Kerberos ticket, you will not be prompted.

Are the users obtaining a Kerberos ticket at login?
Old 03-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
plexter
Prospect

Thanks,

I had done the one line as well as my other example in script editor.

Is there a way I can verify that the kerberos ticket was received on the Mac?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
giskard22

Try the Kerberos application in /System/Library/CoreServices.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
plexter
Prospect

Hmm.. when I load the Kerberos program it shows the active directory username@domain.com with the amount of time left on the ticket. I presume that means its working.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
tlarkin
League Commissioner

Did you have the script run as a log in hook?
tlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
plexter
Prospect

Not sure what you mean by log in hook. I had it set in the log in items or run it manually.

This has only been a problem with 10.5 not 10.4.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
tlarkin
League Commissioner

do they map the SMB via their personal credentials or by the same log in? Can you give more info on exactly how it is set up and your current infrastructure?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
plexter
Prospect

each user has their own credentials.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
tlarkin
League Commissioner

well, I am not scripting expert but you could perhaps (and this would take some work) create a log in hook that mounted the SMB drives.

or mount it manually once and then drag it down to the dock, then it should make an alias to that mount and the user can click on it. Haven't tested this in Leopard but it works in Tiger.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
plexter
Prospect

Sorry for the late reply.

I wouldn't really know where to begin with doing any major scripting. Surely this is possible in a "less" complicated fashion? I just dont understand why its broken in the new version! :P
Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
kaptagat
Major Leaguer

I believe 10.5 doesn't work with kerberos in the same way that 10.4 did. I remember reading somewhere that it will only send the kerberos ticket to a server that requests one. Leopard's AD integration is on the whole quite frankly appalling, made even worse in my view, because everything worked fine with tiger.

I have also found that login items doesn't work with AD users. Apple say they are aware of this and are working on a solution to it.
kaptagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
giskard22

10.5.2 seems to have fixed almost everyone's major AD issues. I don't know anything about the login items issue.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
tlarkin
League Commissioner

well each user could mount it manually once, and then drag that mounted volume to the dock, and then they can just click the alias to map it after log in.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #19
plexter
Prospect

Yeah thats the same feeling I had; don't get why they broke it. I was hoping there was something I was missing or just a simple work around but it doesn't seem like it.

Hopefully the next update will resolve this.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #20
commuterkid

Well, 10.5.3 still didn't solve this issue. However, I am having a hard time with creating a LoginHook that will interact with my script. I'm not strong in programming and I'm just curious as to how the LoginHook can take the login credentials, then use them to be able to map network drives. This is 10.5.3.
commuterkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: