Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
jdhorner
Major Leaguer

Mount FreeBSD UFS in OS X

I'm nearing the end of my patience here, so I'm definitely hoping someone has a suggestion that works. I've just spent the past two hours googling and message-board searching until my eyes were bleeding. this is my situation:

I have an old celeron box that is running FreeNAS. It has served me very well for the past six months. However, I've wanted to consolidate space, power consumption, and drives, and have thusly purchased a buffalo linkstation live. That's not the problem, though.

I've taken each of the drives out of the old celeron tower, and they're all currently formatted as UFS. I THOUGHT I'd be able to put each in an enclosure, and connect them to my mac pro, where OS X would happily mount them and I could process files, deleting what's old, and copying over to the new linkstation what I'd like to keep.

Well, now I'm frustrated.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.2 on a 4-core Mac Pro, and when I plug in the USB enclosure containing the UFS-formatted drive with data on it, nothing happens. I checked System Profiler, and it DOES list the connected "USB 2.0 storage device", and Disk Utility shows the "233.8 GB Maxtor (...)" drive, and it's one partition, "disk1s1". However, that partition is grayed out, and when I click on it, and choose "Mount", it tells me the disk cannot be mounted.

I've searched, and the closest I seem to have come up with is the following command from the terminal, which tries to mount the disk as read-only:

Code:
mount -r -t ufs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/pleasework
which results in the mount command returning an error stating "Incorrect super block".

another suggestion I found was to attempt to pass the FreeBSD-specific UFS argument to the mount command:

Code:
mount -r -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/pleasework
but that doesn't work, as the Leopard version of the mount command doesn't seem to support that particular argument for the -o switch. (and this is confirmed after checking the 'man mount' page)

Are there any utilities, foss tools, workarounds, etc... AT ALL that you all might be able to point me to to try and mount a simple UFS file system within Mac OS X ?

Last edited by jdhorner; 02-23-2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: rather funny typo
jdhorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
hayne
Site Admin

I suspect that the version of UFS you have on those disks is not compatible with what OS X expects. E.g. OS X's UFS is always big-endian, even on Intel hardware (see: http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_fs.html)

And I note an older thread with a similar problem:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=72744
Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
jdhorner
Major Leaguer

Ahh, thanks for the kernelthread link.

And yeah, I found that older thread with high hopes, only to get to the end of it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: