Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
mexipike
Prospect

USB flash drive won't show up in Finder

I have a USB jump drive (not sure of the brand, doesn't say anywhere) that I can't get to appear in finder, or on the desktop. I'm using a mac book pro with Tiger, however, I also couldn't get it to appear on a PC. I'm assuming it wasn't ejected properly or something. How can I fix it?

Thanks,
John
mexipike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
cak
Prospect

Launch Disk Utility in Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and see if it shows up in the sidebar.

Cheers
Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
mexipike
Prospect

it doesn;t show up in the side bar??
Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
trevor

Then it sounds like a hardware fault of the USB drive. Buy another one.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
mexipike
Prospect

That's what I figured, but is there any way I can get the information off of the drive??
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
cak
Prospect

mexipike:

You could try recovery software like DataRescue II but I doubt whether it will see the drive, either. You can download the demo version and see if it does anything for you. If it sees anything you can buy the software. If it doesn't, sorry
Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

If the flash drive doesn't appear at all in Disk Utility, it will not work in any other utility. The electronics are fried and likely beyond recovery. A competent technician might be able to repair the device, but it would cost far more than the flash drive is worth.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
trevor

If the data on the flash drive is worth a great deal of money, then you could speak with a data recovery service like http://drivesavers.com . I'm not sure how often they work on flash drives rather than hard drives, but it's worth a shot if you absolutely need to retrieve the information on the flash drive and are willing to spend thousands of dollars to do it.

Trevor
Old 09-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
macTina

USB drive DOES show up on Desktop, but not Finder Sidebar

Hi,
unlike the circumstance listed above, my usb drive DOES show up on the Desktop and in the Utilities, but not in the Finder sidebar.

Just before this started happening, I accidentally hit the keyboard and must have hit a key combination or mouse and key combination. I'm guessing that I hit a combination that tells the computer to hide the USB drive in the Finder.

but anyway, any thoughts on how to show the USB drive in the Finder?
macTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:14 AM   #10
martineargent
Prospect

HI buddy
If you have not used any driver then re install the software which use to detect this one.It can also be possible due to virus..
martineargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martineargent
HI buddy
If you have not used any driver then re install the software which use to detect this one.It can also be possible due to virus..

This is extremely bad advice. First, there should be no software installed to read a USB flash drive. Any software that a manufacturer included is not necessary, probably written for Windows, and will do no good and possibly a lot of harm.

Second, there are no viruses in the wild for OS X, so you don't have one.

Trevor
Old 09-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
EatsWithFingers
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by macTina
Hi,
unlike the circumstance listed above, my usb drive DOES show up on the Desktop and in the Utilities, but not in the Finder sidebar.

Just before this started happening, I accidentally hit the keyboard and must have hit a key combination or mouse and key combination. I'm guessing that I hit a combination that tells the computer to hide the USB drive in the Finder.

but anyway, any thoughts on how to show the USB drive in the Finder?

Go to Finder -> Preferences (or Cmd-,), select the Sidebar pane and check the "External Disks" box (assuming you have Leopard or Snow Leopard - or possibly Tiger). See attachment for details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FinderPrefs.png
Views:	6154
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	3518  
Old 09-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
stewiesno1
Major Leaguer

The fact that you say the flash drive has no branding on it indicates to me that it is a cheap no frills type and therefore made accordingly.
All the top brands like Kingston, TDK etc have their names on their drives and are probably far more reliable.

Stewie
stewiesno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #14
martineargent
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
This is extremely bad advice. First, there should be no software installed to read a USB flash drive. Any software that a manufacturer included is not necessary, probably written for Windows, and will do no good and possibly a lot of harm.

Second, there are no viruses in the wild for OS X, so you don't have one.

Trevor

O also think so .Anyway find alternative solution for that...
Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
ossie

Eats with fingers is right on the money

I was having the same problem with my flash drive. It would show up on my air, but not on my imac list although it would show up in disk utility. It was driving me mad, so I even reformatted it (after backing it up on the laptop) and that didn't work. But Eats is right, it's all about checking preferences in you finder.
Thanks for solving that for me!
Old 09-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #16
SteveSulkin

Disk Utility Can Cure This issue, possibly

DisK Utility (go to your hard drive/Applications/Utilities) cures all sorts of issues with drives. Launch Disc Utility and check to see if your USB drive shows up in the left hand bar along with your computer's hard drive and any other drives connected to your computer. If your USB hard drive shows up within Disc Utility, but does not mount on your desktop, try clicking "Verify and Repair" within Disk Utility and let Disk Utility do it's job. It might take a while to repair (and in odd cases it will just run and not repair if the problem is "confounding" Disk Utility itself, but give it a lot of time). It may or may not work based on what the issues are.

I hope that helps.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
lettertosteve

Had trouble with my 8GB PNY Attache USB drive although it showed up in the Disk Utlity side bar. Verify and Repair did not work. However, I used the Erase function to remove the existing partition and then everything worked great. Perhaps there was something in that partition that was Windows-specific and not digestible by Mac OS?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: