Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 01-16-2008, 04:28 AM   #1
johntsibidis
Prospect

Address Book unable to recognize its data files..

Hello to everybody,

The the whole story is this :

PowerBook G4 10.3.9 crashes and dont start up. Because we didnt have Panther installation disks we upgraded to Tiger 10.4.10

All worked fine except the address book which couldnt show the entries.

There wasnt any Address Book Back Up file before the crash, no .mac account too.
However the Address book folder in the home directory was there, with all the files : ab.data, ab.previous , ad before save.
Finaly I also tried again Panther, 10.3.2, 10.3.9 , with no results.
Address Book cant show the entries.

After opening these files with text edit, I found that only the before saved file has the info inside. I did changed the the names of previous and before save files to addressbook.data , no results.

Finaly I tried to copy from the text edit some of the info to a working addressbook.data file, with no success.

The fact is that we have this info to the addressbook.before save file and we cannot import it into addressbook app.

Does anyone have any good suggestions ?

Thanx in advance!
John
johntsibidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Jay Carr
Hall of Famer

I'm kind of confused by your story. Are you saying that you cannot import the files or that the file itself is corrupt and won't load?

I personally would try to use the import function in Address Book before anything else. See if it will move all the data into the new file for you.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
johntsibidis
Prospect

Hi, Zalister, thnx for your time...

I dont have an Address Book Back Up File to import.

I only have the address book folder in the application support - @home directory.

In this folder there are the various address book data files that the app creates and store its info.

However I checked these files and the only that still have the information is the file called "AddressBook.data.beforesave" .

Does anyone know how to make this file recognizable by the app ?
johntsibidis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: