Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player

Free bakcground music (for slide show)

Hey people!
I was wondering where I could find some background music that is not some popular song. Something that could go into my slide show that is behind my voice over. It should be something dramatic, but not silly, funny. It is a very serious slideshow regarding children. Any pointers? I don't want a song, just some kind of background effects such a piano, or whatever to make it more dramatic. Where could I find such things for free?
Thanks
ME!
Old 01-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

A few years ago Apple distributed to Dot-Mac members a number of 0:15-2:00 clips of royalty free music for just this purpose. Unfortunately, they're no longer available.

What is available is GarageBand! With the current incarnation, it's very easy to constuct unique and royalty free ditties that will play as long as you need them. If you have a Dot-Mac account, Apple also offers 4 free Jam Pack samplers to expand GarageBand's capabilities.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player

Hmmmm. I do have garage band. Man, this might take awhile.
Thanks.
I sure do wish Apple gave away clips like that. It would help a great deal. Not everthing has to be a song everyone knows. Seems like everything has that now.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
trevor

There are also CDs of royalty-free music easily found available for sale. Try searching for "royalty free music" in your preferred search engine.

However, I've got to agree with Las Vegas--you'll get much better results and have a clear copyright over the music if you make it yourself using Garage Band. You'll be able to pick instrumentation and mood exactly. Plus, you'll have the satisfaction of creation--you can show the slideshow knowing that the music is your own composition, something to be proud of.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
warragul
All Star

There are sites such as jamendo.com where you can download free music under the Creative Commons licence. The music at jemendo is mostly European so you're likely to find stuff you've never heard by outfits you've never heard of.
That's not to say the quality is lacking. Yesterday I took 5 downloads to my beloved's for dinner music. Very nice.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
warragul
All Star

If it's just musical clips you want look in /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/iLife Sound Effects/
There are 13 folders there of sounds; Jingles contains the music portion.
This assumes that you've installed iLife, of course.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
There are also CDs of royalty-free music easily found available for sale. Try searching for "royalty free music" in your preferred search engine.

However, I've got to agree with Las Vegas--you'll get much better results and have a clear copyright over the music if you make it yourself using Garage Band. You'll be able to pick instrumentation and mood exactly. Plus, you'll have the satisfaction of creation--you can show the slideshow knowing that the music is your own composition, something to be proud of.

Trevor

Dude, I am SO not muscically talented. I would have no idea how to put something together. hmmm. Maybe I can ask my 11 year old, she knows the piano a little.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #8
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisermo
Dude, I am SO not muscically talented. I would have no idea how to put something together. hmmm. Maybe I can ask my 11 year old, she knows the piano a little.

That's just the beauty of GarageBand! You don't need any music talent! You just play with it. Add a rift here, remove another there… Before you know it; You're creating music!

-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
fazstp
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by warragul
If it's just musical clips you want look in /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/iLife Sound Effects/

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/iLife Sound Effects/Jingles/Newborn.aif is a minute and a bit of some mellow piano. How long's your slide show?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player

Well, I have pictures, then a video, then more pictures. When the pictures flash, I am doing a voice over explaining how these pictures happen. Its sort of an educational safety video/slideshow.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player

I ment to put up, that I did find that mellow piano yesterday. I think I might be able to work with that.
I have some very disturbing pictures in the start of the video of children who have survived a strangulation incident. I am not sure what kind of "music" to put behind my voice. Do you have any suggestions for that?
The other pictures are of children who have died from the strangulations which I believe Newborn will be very appropriate!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

Perhaps disturbing pictures would present more starkly without music, especially if presented after music backed "comfortable" pictures. Suddenly loosing the comfortable music would enhance the effect. Or, perhaps a "bong" such as that on the "Law & Order" series.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las_Vegas
Perhaps disturbing pictures would present more starkly without music, especially if presented after music backed "comfortable" pictures. Suddenly loosing the comfortable music would enhance the effect.

The survivor pictures are before the ones that have already passed.
I sorta thought that maybe having music or any kind of noise during these photos might not be such a good idea, but I see it working for the children who are in heaven.

I will have to post up the link from YouTube when I am done!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #14
ThreeDee
Hall of Famer

Depending on where you are going to use this music, you could use

http://www.freeplaymusic.com/

The music can be used for free, under certain conditions.

iPod Touch 5G, 32GB, iOS 6.1.3
ThreeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #15
Kaisermo
Triple-A Player

Cool, thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: