Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > Working with OS X > Tweaking OS X / Wish List

Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
whinston
Prospect

Mod Boot in Leopard (blue screen)

Hi, was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction regarding modding the boot of OS X. Ive done a fair bit of searching, on this site and others, but not really come up with anything.

What i want to do is change the blue screen that comes up after the Apple logo, but before the login screen. Ive managed to change the boot.efi (im on an intel mac) so that the apple logo is what i want, as well as changing the login screen to what i want... but this middle bit seems to be frustrating.

Can anyone help?
whinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
AHunter3
Hall of Famer

Where did you ferret out the info on how to replace the grey apple boot image? How to do so on a PowerPC mac is no secret, but last I'd heard no one has managed to do so on an Intel Mac. Can you give instructions? (I don't even have an Intel Mac yet, but I'm sure I will sooner or later)
AHunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Hal Itosis
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
Where did you ferret out the info on how to replace the grey apple boot image? How to do so on a PowerPC mac is no secret, but last I'd heard no one has managed to do so on an Intel Mac.
:
Can you give instructions?

BootXChanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinston
What i want to do is change the blue screen that comes up after the Apple logo, but before the login screen.
:
Can anyone help?

Nope... nobody.

-HI-
Hal Itosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
whinston
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
Where did you ferret out the info on how to replace the grey apple boot image? How to do so on a PowerPC mac is no secret, but last I'd heard no one has managed to do so on an Intel Mac. Can you give instructions? (I don't even have an Intel Mac yet, but I'm sure I will sooner or later)

Right here... Ive already asked this guy about my question, but he didnt have any info on it.

http://www.dribin.org/dave/blog/arch...t_image_intel/
Old 01-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
AHunter3
Hall of Famer

I did something like that (but without RLE complexities) in order to figure out how to change the boot image on an old-world WallStreet PB.

It would be a very tiny bit of code, since it only has to encode for a single uniform color. That would imply an infinite range of replacement values but a damn difficult time of finding out where the code is hiding.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 AM   #6
whinston
Prospect

Right, im just wondering if its in the kernel or the window server.... whats the hex code for that color?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
Zydeco

I was looking for something else, and accidentally found where the blue colour of the boot screen is stored (in 10.5 at least)
It's in the file /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Configuration.plist
It's under Root/Colors/FrenchBlue, and has the red, green and blue values as numbers in a 0-1 scale.
It's easily editable with Property List Editor running as root, or with nano/pico/vi/emacs/ed in Terminal, but since it's a dictionary inside another dictionary I'm not sure if it can be done with the "defaults" command.

There are references to FrenchBlue in the same file, in Root/Palettes, I tried adding a new colour name and changing it there but I still got the blue for a fraction of a second before getting the colour I had added, and just changing the rgb values of FrenchBlue makes it.

I'll check in 10.4 and add it to the next version of BootXChanger
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
AHunter3
Hall of Famer

Well, while there is indeed a .plist file by that name, at that location, in Tiger, it has no Color item listed under root

I'm sure they put it somewhere in Tiger but I still have no idea where.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
afist

It been many months since this the last post. I just wondering is anyone able to change that blue color on startup? have anyone tried it?
afist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
alextrob
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by afist
It been many months since this the last post. I just wondering is anyone able to change that blue color on startup? have anyone tried it?

There actually appear to be two slightly different blue screens that come up in between the grey Apple logo screen and the login screen. If you look closely you may see the slightly different shades of blue. Changing that Configuration.plist file mentioned above works, but only for the second blue screen.

I haven't been able to change the colour of that first blue screen but I think it is related to the blue screen that fades in and out when you plug in an external monitor or make resolution changes.

Does anyone know where the other blue screen plist is kept?
alextrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #11
alextrob
Prospect

Actually I got it the wrong way around in my above post. The plist I mentioned is the one that relates to resolution changes and external monitors.

It's still that first blue screen that I can't figure out how to change. I've tried just renaming a different image to Aqua Blue.jpg & putting it in the solid color default wallpaper folder but that didn't work. I'd have been pretty surprised if it did though. haha

Any ideas?
alextrob is offline   Reply With Quote