Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Hogster
Major Leaguer

Lightbulb Macbook Pro charger light blinking orange/green

Hi all,

Just noticed this tonight ... when charging, the LED on the magnetic power connector keeps changing from orange to green ... does this mean something? I've never ever seen it before ...

Or does it just mean .. I'm broken, please replace me?

I'll try tomorrow with a different charger and see if it makes any difference ...

Cheers,

David
Hogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:56 AM   #2
Hogster
Major Leaguer

It seems to be behaving itself now that the battery is fully charged. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it does it again ...

David
Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Hogster
Major Leaguer

Hmmm it's now flashing orange/green again .... 94% charge on the battery and yet it's giving me a 2h20m estimated time remaining until full charge!

Would this be a problem with the charger or the charger circuitry inside the computer?

I must say I haven't been getting very long battery life from my MBP recently ... maybe because the battery isn't charging fully?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

David
Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

With the flashing light, I would contact Apple service.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Hogster
Major Leaguer

Another thing I've noticed is that the battery never fully charges .... the light always stays orange ...

Mmm have just swapped batteries to the original battery (before I was using the one sent to me by Apple, as the original battery was part of the dodgy batch that could overheat) and it doesn't do it now .... battery is fully charged and green light is on.

Looks like that battery is duff? Do batteries have a warranty period? Any chance I could get it replaced by Apple?

Many thanks,

David
Old 10-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
jamesetaylor

I have very similar symptoms with my MBP. It pretty much started when I went on holiday to France. The voltage (and frequency, perhaps?) of the AC there is different from England which may or may not be related.

Anyhow, I was already on my second battery (from the exchange programme) and out of warranty so Apple wouldn't help me.

I replaced the battery with one of the higher capacity batteries from fastmac.com (not an Apple product so they'll probably help me even less now); it came fully charged and lasted for hours without the cable plugged into the MBP.

However, after draining the battery I plugged in the cable and it was green, intermittently turning orange. Clearly, something is telling the MBP/adapter that the battery is charged as the battery is now dead to the world after a single charge cycle!

I did some googling and reset the PMU (or whatever it's called in the intel MBP) but that hasn't helped.

So I'm guessing I'm pretty much hosed.

Going to go to the Apple shop but not expecting I'll get much help from them with an out of warranty MBP and a non-Apple battery.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
jamesetaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Shakti V.

Blinking charger

I have the same problem. Can anyone explain why the charger blinks from orange to green when almost full? Will this damage the laptop? Should I change my charger?
Shakti V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
rpm-computing

I am experiencing this same issue with one of my MacBooks and have determined it to be a bad battery causing the issue. I verified this by swapping a good known fully charged battery with the one in question and the blinking green/amber light stopped and turned solid green. When I swapped the battery back to the original the issue became apparent again. Also as a side note the sleep light indicator does not turn on when in sleep mode either being set manually by closing the lid or putting the system in sleep via apple menu.

Long story short, it appears to be an issue with the battery.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: