Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Networking

Old 12-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
bbmak

Deploying Mac OS X by using Windows RIS/WDS(PXE/Netboot) ????

Anyone here know how to deploy Mac OS X with Windows RIS/WDS?

I am able to deploy new Operating Systems like Win 2000, XP, Vista, & some Linux OS' by using Windows RIS/WDS or BDD2007.

I want to know are there anyone know how to deploy new Mac OS X to 100 new blank Mac computers with PXE(netboot)? I want to use a Windows Server instead of Mac OS X server.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Moa2

How to deploy Mac OS X with WDS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmak
Anyone here know how to deploy Mac OS X with Windows RIS/WDS?

I am able to deploy new Operating Systems like Win 2000, XP, Vista, & some Linux OS' by using Windows RIS/WDS or BDD2007.

I want to know are there anyone know how to deploy new Mac OS X to 100 new blank Mac computers with PXE(netboot)? I want to use a Windows Server instead of Mac OS X server.

Yep, hello first and i wanted to submit the same topic as you.
It seems that you've post your question for a long time, with no reply. I'm a french student and i'm searching for the same kind of response.
I've been searching on the net without solution.
If now you've got the answer i'm very interesting in.
Thanks for help.
Moa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
warragul
All Star

If I understand your problem correctly you'll need to create the boot images using the Server Tools included with OSX Server. I'm not sure if a Windows server, loaded with the boot images, could act as a netboot server. Netboot, I think, uses RSYNC which is not native to Windows.
However, I'd suggest a look at Mike Bombich's site and/or afp548.com.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
tlarkin
League Commissioner

Netrestore has been retired, Macs won't PXE boot either unless you boot them from a PXE boot disk. I have never tried to image a Mac using Windows Deployment System.

Deploy Studio seems to be the replacement of Netrestore and it does in fact support PXE booting so your PCs can image off of it as well. I find it to be a product that is not very well documented, lacking support and in it's infancy, however, it could truly grow into something great.

If you want my professional opinion you should use OS X server, and look into third party like Casper. It has changed my life as a Mac sys admin. I know that is not always an option, but if it is explore it.

http://www.tlarkin.com

"It just told me what I already knew, that I'm a great and amazing guy, didn't I tell you baby, I'm Zaphod Beeblebrox."
tlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: