Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 11-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
str1d3r
Prospect

Boot Camp alternative

I have a few small problems with Boot Camp:
1) I can't find a mirror of it anywhere online (I know, I know; Apple discontinued support).
2) I don't want to shell out money for it or go all the way and buy Leopard (I am very content with Tiger).

So, are there are alternative programs or the like that can give the same sort of deal that Boot Camp does? I've heard of rEFIt and XOM but never thought to try them out.
I've also found a ton of tutorials online but they all use Boot Camp.
Could someone kindly point me to a useful resource?

Thank you very much.

post: I'm thinking of dual-booting with Ubuntu (or maybe even tri-booting with Windows, too).
str1d3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

alternatives to Boot Camp?
How about:
Parallels Desktop - http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
or
VMWare - http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/
or
Crossover - http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Parallels supports what you want to do with Windows AND Ubuntu (Can't do that directly with Boot Camp)
Boot Camp only supports Windows XP and Vista.
Parallels supports several dozen different operating systems as guest OSes.

Last edited by DeltaMac; 11-22-2007 at 07:53 PM.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
str1d3r
Prospect

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear.

I mean, I want a dual-booting solution such as Boot Camp.
I listed rEFIt and XOM as possible alternatives but I don't know what to do with them.

And I would much rather dual/triple-boot than have virtualization and/or emulation.
str1d3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Boot Camp was targeted from the beginning as a Leopard feature, and was barely supported as a beta by Apple. Now that Leopard has been released, and the Boot Camp beta has expired, that's supposed to make you somewhat less content with Tiger, if you want the function of Boot Camp, and have a need to use it. That's salesman talk: upgrade to Leopard if you want to fully use Boot Camp. (sorry... )
I suppose rEFIt would be worth a go if you want that multiple boot function. Boot Camp doesn't support that directly, anyway.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
specter
All Star

Unfortunately the only way out is to buy Leopard (which more or less is inevitable anyway) or Parallels Desktop.
Supposing, that you don't need any virtualization softwfre, you need to get Leopard.
You can also try Cross Over, but it is not very good. You may know the app: It lets run particular Windows programs in Mac OS without running Windows. Dut the list of supported apps is small and it may not work. I prefer Virtualization over all.
specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Quantumstate
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by str1d3r
And I would much rather dual/triple-boot than have virtualization and/or emulation.

I can not in any way, imagine why.
Quantumstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
specter
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by str1d3r

This is really a bit strange for me too. Maybe because I've been using Parallels for a long time and can't imagine what can be more handy.
Boot Camp and dual-booting is good. Well, maybe it can be good for gaming, but when constant dual-booting turns into routine - rebooting 15 times a day - it starts to annoy
File sharing between OSes is also much more convenient - just drag and drop... This is the matter of taste, of course. Some people dislike to allocate memory to two OSes, especially on weaker systems. But with my two Gigs VM works very well!
specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
nothingbeatsfree

is there rEFIt for ppc?

i have found this form interesting as i am new to macs you see. i was going to have to hack leopard installer so i could install it on my old mac to run boot camp. yes i know virtuals are better but on a 700mhz g4 pcc with about 600mbs of ram the best i can run is windows 2000 on a virtual pc so if there s a ppc boot camp alternative i would be ever so grateful! thanks for the future responses!
nothingbeatsfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingbeatsfree
... i was going to have to hack leopard installer so i could install it on my old mac to run boot camp. yes i know virtuals are better but on a 700mhz g4 pcc with about 600mbs of ram the best i can run is windows 2000 on a virtual pc so if there s a ppc boot camp alternative i would be ever so grateful! thanks for the future responses!

There is no Boot Camp alternative for PPC Macs. Windows will not run on Mac PPC hardware. You can have Windows running in emulation, such as Virtual PC, and that's it. Even if you could hack Leopard to install, you won't get the Boot Camp utility to run, as it requires an Intel processor. The other solutions, such as Parallels and VMWare fusion, also require Intel Macs. So, on a PPC, you are left with poor performance with Windows. If you really need Windows, get a real PC (they're cheap, you know!), or replace your old Mac with an Intel model.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
caam
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
There is no Boot Camp alternative for PPC Macs. Windows will not run on Mac PPC hardware. You can have Windows running in emulation, such as Virtual PC, and that's it. Even if you could hack Leopard to install, you won't get the Boot Camp utility to run, as it requires an Intel processor. The other solutions, such as Parallels and VMWare fusion, also require Intel Macs. So, on a PPC, you are left with poor performance with Windows. If you really need Windows, get a real PC (they're cheap, you know!), or replace your old Mac with an Intel model.

Is there a bootcamp for powerpc alternative not for windows but for partitionig and dual boot because I would like to install mac os x desktop & server or mac os x desktop and ubuntu desktop? For no reason what-so-ever i need windows except for diagnostic purposes and those same diagnostic tests i can run in linux.
caam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

The Mac I am using right now (eMac G4) has both OS X, and Ubuntu (actually Lubuntu).
You can easily download the Ubuntu PPC installer, burn the live CD to a disk, boot to that disk, and install Ubuntu. It's a customized install, to have OS X and Ubuntu side by side (dual booting) I have used that setup for at least 4 versions of Ubuntu.
Works good for me. I have a 160GB hard drive, with 15 GB reserved for the Unbuntu partition, the rest is OS X. The newest Ubuntu 13.10 does NOT work too well for me, so I would suggest that you stay with an older version, such as 12.04.
PPC downloads here:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04.3/release/
This is a good image for PPC Macs.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/1...op-powerpc.iso

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: