Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 11-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
delliioo
Triple-A Player

Software : Download streaming videos

Hi ,
Just curious to know if there is any software to download any streaming video available on the net ..
I`m using TUBE TV and it works gr8 for youtube and some sites but not for all the sites ...
Let me give u a site .. i need to download these videos as they are imp to me and very useful ...
http://www.learnerstv.com/animation/...44&cat=medical

Can u suggest any software (freeware) that can download it..
Any help is really appreciated..
delliioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
Tilo
Prospect

The new beta for RealPlayer does it.
Tilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
delliioo
Triple-A Player

i tried it but the video mentioned in the site (learnerstv) is not getting downloaded..
Old 11-24-2007, 03:41 AM   #4
Photek
Hall of Famer

in Safari (whilst the vid is loading) select and copy the video link from the Activity Window, paste it into Safari's download window.. and it will start downloading!
Photek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
HazyJMac
Major Leaguer

Hey Photek... did you try that method on the video he had linked above. The Activity window method works fine on youtube, but I got nothing on the above link. Just wondering if its me or the video.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Jay Carr
Hall of Famer

And Photek wins Zalisters "Tip of the Week" award! I had no idea you could even do that! Now I just need to automate it with an AppleScript.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

You don't really need to copy and paste the link in the Activity window. Just double-click it to save the file.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
delliioo
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyJMac
Hey Photek... did you try that method on the video he had linked above. The Activity window method works fine on youtube, but I got nothing on the above link. Just wondering if its me or the video.

Thanks

yes , this method is not working with the link i provided above ..
i heard of download helper (add on for firefox) ... its working but only with the audio .. i cannt get the video ... any clues?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
styrafome
Hall of Famer

Depending on the format they are using, sometimes you have to convert the downloaded Flash file to a readable video file. I have used VisualHub for this conversion but haven't done it in a while so I forget the specifics.
styrafome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
blueshead
Triple-A Player

I dropped the link for the .flv in speed download and got the message "server is denying access" They are blocking d/ls of the movies..
blueshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
delliioo
Triple-A Player

Hope someone provide the solution to download videos from this site
Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #12
HazyJMac
Major Leaguer

I'm not sure you'll be able to download this video. I'm sure there's a way.. but I don't know it. Another option you have is to capture the video with something like Snaps Pro X, or another screen capture utility. Check out Macupdate or VersionTracker for some free options.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
blueshead
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by delliioo
Hope someone provide the solution to download videos from this site

Opens beer. celebrates.. I figured out a way to snag the movie. Open firefox.. clear the cache. Then click on movie link and let it play. after movie has finished use filejuicer/go to firefox cache (not freeware) it will then extract the .swf which you can use any browser to play. I could not get it to convert in Visual Hub without losing the sound.. But it plays in browsers fine. Tested on Firefox, Opera, not playing in safari.. but i might be missing a codec..

heres the .swf for you..

http://blueshead.spymac.com/files/acne.zip

Last edited by blueshead; 11-25-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
macosnoob
MVP

Another approach

1. Use an older, noncompliant browser. I used Netscape 7.2, which apparently doesn't recognize Abobe's current PRAGMA/no-cache HTML meta tags and caches the swf anyway. (Ref.: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...4743&sliceId=2)

2. Locate the swf file in Netscape's cache. I found a cache folder with today's date, weighing in at 9.8M. Opening it revealed a 2.1M file--the very size that Safari's activity monitor had found for the "acne" swf file. Here's where it was on my system, though of course you'll have different numbers on yours:

~Library/Mozilla/Profiles/default/09rrq75b.slt/Cache/

(Poke around for big files in the cache. They're the ones most likely to be a swf.)

3. I copied the file from the cache to the Desktop. RealPlayer tried and failed to open the file, but VLC took it in. It played, with sound!
macosnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
blueshead
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosnoob
Another approach

1. Use an older, noncompliant browser. I used Netscape 7.2, which apparently doesn't recognize Abobe's current PRAGMA/no-cache HTML meta tags and caches the swf anyway. (Ref.: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...4743&sliceId=2)

2. Locate the swf file in Netscape's cache. I found a cache folder with today's date, weighing in at 9.8M. Opening it revealed a 2.1M file--the very size that Safari's activity monitor had found for the "acne" swf file. Here's where it was on my system, though of course you'll have different numbers on yours:

~Library/Mozilla/Profiles/default/09rrq75b.slt/Cache/

(Poke around for big files in the cache. They're the ones most likely to be a swf.)

3. I copied the file from the cache to the Desktop. RealPlayer tried and failed to open the file, but VLC took it in. It played, with sound!

Nice one.. and all freeware like he wanted..Great Job..!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #16
delliioo
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshead
Opens beer. celebrates.. I figured out a way to snag the movie. Open firefox.. clear the cache. Then click on movie link and let it play. after movie has finished use filejuicer/go to firefox cache (not freeware) it will then extract the .swf which you can use any browser to play. I could not get it to convert in Visual Hub without losing the sound.. But it plays in browsers fine. Tested on Firefox, Opera, not playing in safari.. but i might be missing a codec..

heres the .swf for you..

http://blueshead.spymac.com/files/acne.zip

ya time to celebrate really... you got it right ... its working ... more over i was able to convert the file without loosing the audio with ffmpegx (freeware )

Let me tell u the way i did it with freewares .....
I installed a adddon for Firefox called downloadhelper ... it downloaded the swf file ... i converted it using FFMPEGX ... atlast succesful ... cheers

Thank u all the guys for helping me out & sparing time for my query
Old 11-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #17
delliioo
Triple-A Player

Update : this addon on Firefox (download helper ) works gr8 ... it can download almost any video .. hats off to it
Old 11-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #18
blueshead
Triple-A Player

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by delliioo
Update : this addon on Firefox (download helper ) works gr8 ... it can download almost any video .. hats off to it

sweet.. opens beer, installs d/l helper..
Old 12-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #19
rumirocks
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photek
in Safari (whilst the vid is loading) select and copy the video link from the Activity Window, paste it into Safari's download window.. and it will start downloading!

Not if the word stream or streaming (I forget which) is in the URL.
rumirocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: