Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 11-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
lankies

Using a Dell Mouse

I've found a Dell mouse that I really like. It's a five button, with back/forward buttons on the side. I know Dell mice are made by Logitech, so will I be able to enable the side buttons using the Logitech Control Centre? Or if I buy the mouse will the buttons not work?
Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
mclbruce
Hall of Famer

There are a couple of shareware utilities that will allow you to set the buttons if the Logitech software does not work.

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

The logitech mouse driver has been said to cause major problems with Leopard.
mclbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:33 AM   #3
iampete
Major Leaguer

I have heard many stories about the Logitech mouse S/W not working or working very poorly with macs. You can give it a try if you feel lucky.

I'm using Steermouse with a Logitech 6 button plus 4-way scrollwheel mouse. Works great, no problems.

The mouse will run out of buttons long before Steermouse does.

Steermouse gives you a trial period (I think it's 30 days??) before you have to pay the shareware fee.

Pete
iampete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
Bobioden
Prospect

I am using the Logitech Control Center for my Logitech MX1000. I just upgraded to Leopard, downloaded the latest version of LCC, and haven't had any problems at all.
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
iampete
Major Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobioden
I am using the Logitech Control Center for my Logitech MX1000. I just upgraded to Leopard, downloaded the latest version of LCC, and haven't had any problems at all.

Based on your post, I uninstalled Steermouse and have been using the Logitech Control Center for a while.

I must admit there seem to be no problems with it of the type that were mentioned elsewhere, i.e., freezing, crashing, etc.

That said, I must add that I am quite disappointed in that several very handy features of Steermouse don't seem to be available in LCC, e.g., cursor "autoglide".

I'm not sure if the missing features in LCC are worth the Steermouse shareware fee, though. That's a matter of personal preference.

Pete
iampete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: