Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 10-29-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
pudha
Prospect

Fan Noise ; G5 Vs G4

I have a G4 Dual 867 Mirror Drive. The fan noise is stupidly loud! Its so loud, I'm considering getting rid of it in favour for a G5.

But before I buy the G5, I'd need some info on it from people who have tested both the G5 and G4.

I need something that is super silent as I record vocals in the same room as the mac

1. Compared to the G4, is there a massive noise output (from fans) difference?

2. What other options do I have? Mac (machine) wise or G4 modification wise. Although I've read alot of articles where people have changed the fan on their G4's only to notice a minute difference. I don't want to waste time with this approach only to discover my effort was wasted.
pudha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
trevor

My PowerMac G5 dual-core (i.e. the last generation of PowerMac G5s), is fairly quiet. Compared to an eMac G4 in the same room, it is noticeably quieter, for example.

I do occasionally do spot recording in the room with the PowerMac G5, but it's not typically vocals, more likely close-miced instruments and amps.

As you know, a vocal booth is not a good place for any fans. If you need to have a computer in the same room as you record vocals, I'd recommend putting the computer inside of some kind of enclosure to quiet it further. You don't need to buy a special sound-dampening enclosure for your computer (for example http://www.xrackpro.com/ ) if you don't want to. Any enclosure, homemade or purchased, that still allows airflow to cool the computer but blocks enough sound to reduce fan noise in the mic should be fine.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
pudha
Prospect

Thanks for the reply Trevor

I'm interested in buiding this enclosure.

Do you know what I'd need or any websites you could point me towards??
pudha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
trevor

Sorry, not off the top of my head. Try doing a search.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
Marsh
Major Leaguer

I posted a thread about this before

Here is my prior post on this subject http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=64741

I now have a G5 Intel Core Duo and I CAN BARELY HERE IT! You have to lean in and listen to hear it, I had a G4 1.25 dual Mirror doors which was a frickin wind tunnel! It was pumping out quite a bit of heat too. The G5 is cool as well. DEFINATELY WORTH EVERY PENNY.
Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: