Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
tonyevanko

External hard drive won't mount on desktop

Hi

I have an Iomega minimax external hard drive that I have been using successfully on my Powerbook (OSX 10.4.10) for almost 2 years. I also used the same drive on my imac (OSX 10.4.10). Last night when I tried to connect the drive to my imac the icon did not appear on my desktop. I had used it earlier in the day on my powerbook, however earlier I was trying to see if I could change the security settings on this drive, and I had contemplated changing the ownership settings to 'no access', but when I got the warning that the folders on the drive would not be accessable I chickened out, and I think I changed everything back to the original settings. I know that when I shut down the powerbook the icon was on the desktop.

Anyway, now I cannot see the icon on the desktop on either computer. It appears in Disk Utility, and when I verified the disk it says 'Volume passed verification'.

Since I don't have a current back-up, last night I made a 'read-write' 'disk image' thinking that I might be able to access the information via the disk image. I could not open the disk image either.

I have some files on this drive that I cannot replace. Does anyone have a suggestion for a way to access the info on the drive or to get it to mount on my desktop?

Thanks

Tony
tonyevanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
trevor

Quote:
however earlier I was trying to see if I could change the security settings on this drive, and I had contemplated changing the ownership settings to 'no access', but when I got the warning that the folders on the drive would not be accessable I chickened out, and I think I changed everything back to the original settings.

Open up your Terminal app (which is in /Applications/Utilities) and let us see the results of the following commands copy/pasted into the Terminal, hitting Return after each command:

ls -al /Volumes

id

echo "done"

Quote:
Anyway, now I cannot see the icon on the desktop on either computer. It appears in Disk Utility, and when I verified the disk it says 'Volume passed verification'.

You should "Repair Disk" in Disk Utility, not just "Verify". What happens after you Repair Disk?

If Disk Utility is not able to fix the problem, then I would recommend a more heavy-duty disk repair application, DiskWarrior.

If you've given up on ever using the disk anymore and just want to retrieve whatever information off of it that you can, then I'd recommend Data Rescue II. But DiskWarrior is very powerful and would certainly be what I would use in your place.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Bdwadley

Hey there, i'm not sure if you are still active, but I have a similar problem. Here's what my terminal says when I put in those commands.

Last login: Thu Feb 18 15:08:55 on console
benjamin-wadleys-computer:~ Ben$
benjamin-wadleys-computer:~ Ben$ ls -al /Volumes
total 48
drwxrwxrwt@ 11 root admin 374 Feb 18 15:10 .
drwxrwxr-t 43 root admin 1530 Feb 18 10:35 ..
-rwxrwxrwx 1 Ben Ben 82 Apr 19 2007 ._Benjamin Wa
-rwxrwxrwx 1 Ben Ben 82 Apr 19 2007 ._IPOD
-rwxrwxrwx 1 Ben Ben 82 Jul 17 2008 ._JOHN'S IPOD
-rwxrwxrwx 1 Ben Ben 82 Jul 5 2007 ._JWADLEY'S I
-rwxrwxrwx 1 Ben Ben 82 Mar 12 2008 ._TEH UBER
drwxrwxr-x 3 Ben admin 102 May 6 2007 10.70.22.20
drwxrwxr-x 3 Ben admin 102 Mar 25 2007 10.70.22.20-2
drwxrwxr-x 3 Ben admin 102 May 9 2007 10.70.22.20-3
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1 Feb 18 15:08 Macintosh HD -> /
benjamin-wadleys-computer:~ Ben$ id
uid=501(Ben) gid=501(Ben) groups=501(Ben),98(_lpadmin),81(_appserveradm),101(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),79(_appserverusr),80(admin)
benjamin-wadleys-computer:~ Ben$ echo"done"
-bash: echodone: command not found
benjamin-wadleys-computer:~ Ben$ echo "done"
done

When I run a repair disk, verify and repair, it says both are complete and ok. But I still cannot access my external drive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: