Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > iHardware Devices > iPhone Info Center

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Stormrush

iPhone speaker problem

Hello, I got my iPhone last week and have loved it. However yesterday this really strange problem just started happening. When someone calls I can't hear through the earpiece speaker, instead I have to put the phone on speaker phone and I can hear them talking. But when I play movies and music the bottom speaker doesn't work. The only way I can hear it is if I use the headset or if I put the phone call on speaker phone. Otherwise I get no sound.

Any suggestions? Thank you.
Stormrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Arne
Prospect

Same Problem

I have the same problem
do you have some news?
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
Anti
MVP

I don't own an iPhone, but I'll take a wild guess that the sensor in the earpiece may have gone awry, or something?

Does the screen shut off when you hold it up to your ear?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Werd
Prospect

I had the same problem last night, and even restoring my iPhone didn't fix it. Also, I don't know if this is related, but when I took pictures, the resulting thumbnails were just white, and when I tried to view them, the app quit and returned me to the Home screen. No pictures were saved to my Photos. Anyway, I discovered a solution to the no-sound problem (but I still can't take pictures)...

Plug in some headphones, and then unplug them. Apparently my iPhone thought I had headphones plugged in and was routing the sound through the headphone jack. Plugging and unplugging snaps it back to reality.

Hope this helps somebody. Now, if I can just figure out what's up with my camera...
Werd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Werd
Prospect

Just a quick update:
Software update 1.1.1 fixed my camera issues. I'm back in business!
Werd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
kkny65

So this just happened to me tonight (I've had my phone since July). Exact same problem (about the earpiece, not the camera), except when using the headset, the left earbud had no sound. Also, if in a call, connecting the earphones would disconnect the call rather than transfer the sound to the earphones.

So I tried installing the update, and initially it still didn't work, but after playing around with the earphones more (i.e. plugging it in and unplugging it several times), the earpiece speaker seems to work fine again (don't know what I did or what fixed it). However, the left earbud still has no sound when plugged in. I don't think this is defective earphones because if I play around with it enough, I can get the plug in just the right spot where I do have sound on both sides (it's kind of half-in, half-out...just enough to make a connection it seems), but with the plug completely in, only the right side has sound.

Anyone else had that problem?
kkny65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
FlashInPan
Prospect

My iPhone constantly gets that problem where the handset stops working and I can only use it when wearing my earbuds or bluetooth headset. I can't keep driving over to the Apple store for this little thing. I figured a LOT of people have this problem since it has happened to me a couple of times. I posted this easy procedure which only takes about a minute. It always works for me: http://www.luckow.com/iphone
FlashInPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
kel101
MVP

cant you sent it back to apple?
GTX680 Mx

imac core duo 1.83ghz: OS X 10.6.8,
2gb ram, 1Tb internal
kel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
FlashInPan
Prospect

Send Back?

The speaker goes out because dust gets into the female end of the plug. I just keep my phone in my pocket so it's inevitable. Fuzz gets in there. The method described above takes me 30 seconds. Sending it back to Apple takes, well more than 30 seconds. Its a simple thing to fix. As long as you just make the cue tip damp, and not wet, there's really no danger of tripping the moisture sensor. That's really for the case of detecting when you have dropped it in a toilet or something.
FlashInPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:28 AM   #10
romanm
Prospect

hey
i have the same problem , i tried the FlashInPan method but still do not work but i really think that the iphone thinks that the earphones are plugged.help plz!!
romanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #11
romanm
Prospect

but there is something i do not understand :
when i launch a music on the ipod , the sound go out of the speakers and when i plug the earphones , it go outs of the earphones so why is it different for the phone.
Maybe it's a problem of the normal speaker..?
romanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
mamburn

It Worked!

FlashInPan -- Thank you, thank you, thank you! My ear speaker immediately starting working after your Q-tip solution. It appears to me this is a HUGE design flaw, but your solution will get me through for now.
mamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #13
gigashadowwolf
Prospect

Happens to me all the time especially after using headphones. Usually powering off then on works and if not that a restore.
gigashadowwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
How iphonic

Same issue. Headphones/handsfree/speaker work but no earpiece..

I had the same problem and tried everything.
I tried to reset : didn't work
I tried to restore : didn't work.
I tried erasing : didn't work.

So....

I took it back to the apple store and they gave me a new replacement.

They only thing you have to do is make sure you notify your service provider of change of mac address if you live in the uk. Otherwise you will not be able to access and "cloud" hotspots.

I only got my iphone two days ago so they were happy to swap it but i'm assuming that if you have had it more than 14 days they would have to send it away for repair??

Hope any of this information helps.
How iphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
odHbo

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you guys know that I was having the same problem with my iPhone (minus the camera problem) and placing a damp Qtip in fixed it. Thanks for all the help!
odHbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:10 AM   #16
Fair
Prospect

Hi, have the same trouble (with earpiece). Not only with iphone - all the phones i've ever been used. Seems to me they want us to buy just new headphones.
FlashInPan, thank u, i'll try this.
Fair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #17
oshcrazi

it works guys.... if the restore doesnt work... this definitely does
oshcrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #18
GavinBKK
Hall of Famer

Only an observation here, but I would not be comfortable with dabbing water into that socket, no matter how small the quantity.

Maybe the engineers amongst us could suggest a suitable cleaning agent for the end of that cotton bud? Isopropyl?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #19
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinBKK
Only an observation here, but I would not be comfortable with dabbing water into that socket, no matter how small the quantity.

Maybe the engineers amongst us could suggest a suitable cleaning agent for the end of that cotton bud? Isopropyl?

99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol will work well for this, but the stuff you find for sale in ordinary stores is something like 65% Isopropyl, and leaves a nasty residue behind. Never ever use 65% Isopropyl for cleaning electronics.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:10 AM   #20
aarathi

It was not a good iphone. Go to the shop and exchange it.
aarathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: