Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 4.63 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
cocotu
Triple-A Player

The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media

I have been looking for this answer since this morning with no resolution. This morning using Disk Utility I was trying to burn an .iso image. I have done it before successfully. Then I go the error indicated in the subject:

The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media.

This is the log from Disk Utility:

Aug 28 09:58:11: Disk Utility started.
Burning Image "<file.iso>"
Preparing data for burn
Opening session
Opening track
Writing track
Closing session
Finishing burn
Burn failed
The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media. Unable to burn "<file.iso>"- The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media..

I doing the burning in another mac and is working fine. I'm having this problem in the server.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
baf
MVP

Looks like either a burner hardware problem or some media it didn't like.
Can you burn that exact disk in another computer? Can you burn some other disk in the server? Those two questions should give you an idea where the problem is. Oh a third one have you burned that type/brand before in the server.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
cocotu
Triple-A Player

1. I was able to burn the exact disk in another computer. At the end of the burning I got message: "Verification of the burn failed" not sure what that means, but I'm able to access the contents of the DVD.

2. Every time I insert a DVD disk at the server it ejects the disk after 20 seconds, when I insert a CD-R everything works fine and I'm able to burn. (this may indicate that the server doesn't like this brand of media)

3. Yes, we have use this type of media (Staples).

thanks for your help

Last edited by cocotu; 08-28-2007 at 03:43 PM.
cocotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
baf
MVP

Burning a iso-file and seeing "Verification of the burn failed" means BAD BAD.
Either bad media or some other problem. The exact meaning is that the contents of the disk is NOT exactly the same as what you wanted. Perhaps the first computer manged to harm it? Anyway reburn it.

To me it looks like the burner in the first computer is dead. Do you have Applecare take it to a repair man.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
cocotu
Triple-A Player

I was able to burn a CD-R in the server. Can the DVD burning be damaged and the CD-R part working? Don't they use the same optical lens? I also noticed at the server in the disk utility logs:

Unable to verify "<file.iso>"
This image has no checksum information to verify.

Does it means is corrupt?? thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocotu
I was able to burn a CD-R in the server. Can the DVD burning be damaged and the CD-R part working? Don't they use the same optical lens?

My understanding is that CD burning and DVD burning use separate lenses and separate lasers.

Have you tried a cleaning DVD? There's no evidence yet that anything is damaged, it could just be dusty.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
baf
MVP

Hmm interesting frankly here we have two different issues obviouly
1: An iso-file seems to be able to have a checksum so the file can be verified.
2: A cd-burner program can be set to verify the disk meaning compare every byte on the disk with the input. I assume that this is what you saw when you burned the file. Another way to check is to use dd and read the whole dvd to a file and then use diff to compare that and the original.
In terminal something like:
dd if=/dev/rdisk1s0 of=/path/to/new/file bs=2048
diff /path/to/new/file isofile

this should either say nothing = OK
or Binary files x and y differ
the latter meaning either that I have misremembered or that there really is a problem.
And finally yes I think a burner can stop making DVD:s but still be able to make CD:s
Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
macosnoob
MVP

Seconding Trevor: A google search on your error message reveals that many people have solved their problems by running a CD/DVD cleaning disc through the burner to clean the lenses.
macosnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
landrick

I cannot believe it, but this crazy fix (on a 24" Core 2 Duo iMac) worked for me:

Open System Preferences.
Click on "International"
Under "Languages": Drag any of the other languages to the top,
then drag English back to the top.
Set "Order for sorted lists" to English
Set "Word Break" to English (United States, computer)
Close System Preferences
Restart computer

Incredible! It works! This is now at the top of my list for unbelievably arcane fixes...
landrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

I don't believe it either. I doubt that was the solution to a hardware problem of this nature, since it doesn't have anything at all to do with your CD/DVD burner.
"WITTY QUOTE"
Mikey-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
Ironhead
Prospect

I also can't believe it, but guess what... it worked for me too - on a Mac Pro. you're a genius, landrick. but you have all of the Mac techs here wondering how you came up with this, or what lead you to it.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
Ironhead
Prospect

i meant to mention that i very deliberately did nothing between receiving the error and applying this fix. i even searched for the error on a different box.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #13
Cenacle

Thanks!!

Thanks so much, it worked! Wow, no clue why, but thank you!
Cenacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #14
ThreeBKK
MVP

Hmm… three brand new members pop-up inside of a week and claim that this very unlikely trick works on their Macs. Something seems out of place here.

➤ Think it's a good idea to put your most intimate data on someone else's server?
Macmini5,2 2.7 GHz Core i7 Snow Leopard Mtn. Lion
ThreeBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBKK
Hmm… three brand new members pop-up inside of a week and claim that this very unlikely trick works on their Macs. Something seems out of place here.

Yeah, something is awry. Very curious that they all came out of nowhere as soon as one guy's unbelievable solution was questioned, and that these are their first posts.
"WITTY QUOTE"
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #16
JDV
Hall of Famer

The proposed fix, while not precisely intuitive, is harmless enough, it seems to me; I don't see that anyone would do any damage to their system to try it if they faced that problem. Why the somewhat stronger-than-expected reaction? If others try it and it doesn't work, I'm sure we'll hear about it. It wouldn't be the first time in my experience that something off-the-wall was successful in resolving a problem, though I certainly have no better insight than anyone else why this ought to have the reported effects.

Joe VanZandt
JDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #17
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

No one is saying not to do it, but voodoo that can't be explained should be questioned, especially when we're talking about computers, where everything can be explained. This is a troubleshooting forum, and good troubleshooting needs good understanding of what's going on.

I don't buy this fix. Out of nowhere, after it's questioned, new members make their first posts to say (only) that it worked. Heck, Ironhead registered after I said I didn't buy it, just to post in this thread, it would appear. I can't see Cenacle's profile, so I don't know his specific join date, but that is his only post. This doesn't strike you as strange somehow?
"WITTY QUOTE"

Last edited by Mikey-San; 01-15-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #18
Ironhead
Prospect

Mikey - your assumption is correct! in fact i did register here just to post to this thread after successfully applying the fix then reading of your disbelief. after confirming the fix worked, i thought i'd help encourage others with the same issue who were also doubtful.

i still can't wrap my brain around why this works, but i maintain that it does. i don't usually have the luxury of analyzing curiosities like this. i'm responsible for 125 MacPros across three states and a lot of what i do is "meatball surgery" i.e. i get 'em back up and move on to the next one.

tell y'all what: i'll run this by Apple Engineering and see what (if anything) they have to say. maybe our incredibly expensive Enterprise Support contract will turn out to be worth the money.

one caveat on the fix: it seems that it needs to be repeated prior to each successive burn.

(did anyone else notice that this thread is the number one hit when googling "The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media"?)
Old 01-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #19
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead
(did anyone else notice that this thread is the number one hit when googling "The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media"?)

Especially if you use the title of the thread verbatim. MacOSXHints does tend to rank highly on Google since it's one of the most linked to resources for Mac solutions.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #20
Ironhead
Prospect

from Apple support:

"Perhaps there is a communication problem somewhere so that the proper region code can not be determined."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: