Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
irishomac
Prospect

Open link in Firefox from Apple Mail

Anybody know how to make Apple Mail open links in Firefox instead of Safari? I've already changed the default browser to Firefox in Safari Prefs, but then I get an error message stating "Mail was unable to open the URL.....No associated application could be found". When I switch the pref back to Safari the link opens in Safari just fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks
irishomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Costas
Triple-A Player

Hi,

Forgive me if this sounds simple and/or patronising but I have to ask. Can you confirm that you actually "installed" Firefox and you are not running it from the mounted image you downloaded.I see this almost on a daily basis where some of my clients think they have installed an application whereas, infact, they have not and are running it from a mounted .dmg file.

Costas
Costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
irishomac
Prospect

Firefox

Firefox is installed. It's even set as the main browser, that's what's strange.

Thanks tho,
irishomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Costas
Triple-A Player

Hi again,

Well, I just tested with various browsers and whichever one is selected as the default, launches when a link is clicked within Mail.app

Okay, are you selecting Firefox from the list of browsers in the drop down menu from within Safari's preferences? If you are, go through the process again in Safari's preferences only this time, instead of selecting from the list, select "Select..." from the drop down menu and navigate to where Firefox is installed.

Costas
Costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
firas
Prospect

Hi,

In Mail, when right-clicking on a word and selecting "search in Google" it automatically searches with Safari.
When clicking on hyperlinks it opens it in Firefox though. And Firefox is my default browser.

Is there any way to change this?
firas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Frances
Prospect

I have a similar problem. It used to work fine- I'd click on a link in mail and it would open Firefox to look at it. I then went away for 3 weeks and when I came back, it no longer worked like this. I now have to make sure Firefox is open before any link will open. Any idea how to fix it so it will opoen Firefox for me if it isn't already open?
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
tw
Hall of Famer

probably what you need to do is rebuild your launchservices database. I picked up an applescript that does that somewhere (can't remember whether it was this forum or over as MacScripter), but I'll (re-)post it here for your convenience.

Code:
display dialog "The Finder must quit and will relaunch after the Launch Services rebuild is complete. The rebuild may take several minutes, during which time you should refrain from using any other apps." buttons {"Cancel", "Rebuild LS Database"} default button 2 with icon caution
ignoring application responses
	tell application "Finder"
		delay 2
		quit
	end tell
end ignoring
delay 5
tell application "System Events" to set running_applications_ to get name of every application process
if running_applications_ contains "Finder" then do shell script "killall Finder"
do shell script "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user"
tell application "Finder"
	delay 2
	activate
end tell
tell me to activate
display dialog "The Launch Services rebuild is now complete." buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
note that the operative part of this is in the do shell script (line 11), and you could run that line directly from terminal if you wanted, rather than as an applescript.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
RandCrom

tw: I know this hint is from five years ago, but it worked perfectly, when nothing else would. Thanks so much!
RandCrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: