Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 08-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
dwrider
Prospect

Kern_invalid_address

Can anybody give me a definitive answer as to what causes this exception during application crashes?

I periodically have serious problems with my machine - seems to crop up about once a year or so, with multiple kernel panics, crashing apps, etc. This time, it led to my drive actually dying on me (volume was hosed and drive wouldn't reformat).

I put a new drive in, and after re-loading some of my user files, the crashes started right up again. I've heard that it might be caused by bad RAM - I've taken them all out and tried them all, one at a time. All continue to give same error message for crashes.

However, I think I've narrowed it down to a software problem of some sort, stemming from something bad in the Library folder. Not sure if it's a bad preference file or what. Apps don't crash with a clean Library, or clean user.

It's driving me crazy, and after reading thru most of the threads that relate to this topic, I have yet to find a real answer.

I was almost to the point of just buying a new computer, but I noticed that even people with new systems are having these same types of problems.

I'd like to have a better idea of what causes this, so as to be able to avoid further issues in the future.

Can anybody advise???
dwrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: