Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
macx2000

Webstractor Replacement

I've been using Softchaos' Webstractor for quite some time to do certain types of offline web archiving. Unfortunately, as far as anyone has been able to tell, the company is now defunct, and there is a good chance the program will no longer be supported at all.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs that work in a similar manner - they act like a browser, only they locally store a copy of each page that you browse. So far, the closest I've come is a couple of Firefox extensions that don't quite do it. Ideally, I'm looking for a program that could store the files locally as a standard hierarchy, but it could also work storing files to some format that could then export all browsed pages to a single PDF file (or to standard content).

I like this concept because I get just the data I need and the site doesn't get hammered by a bunch of continuous traffic, but it seems that most things out there go with the web-spider concept as opposed to the browse-and-record concept. That being said, does anyone know of any Webstractor-like programs that allow for export of an entire browsing session in standard formats?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
malson
Prospect

Just because the application won't be supported anymore doesn't mean that you can't continue to use it like you have in the past. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
malson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
toralfsan

More Webstractor problems

To me, the problem is that I am unable to use Webstractor even though I have bought the latest version. When I changed my computer, I found that I was unable to start the application on the new computer with my old serial number.

If anyone can tell me how to re-activate my copy legally, what would be very welcome. I have the number, but it seems that Softchaos only made it valid for a certain time.

Toralf
toralfsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
gjbalzano

Webstractor alternative

Check out Yojimbo, available from Eastgate Systems ...
gjbalzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
sengan
Prospect

Webstractor alternative

You might be interested in trying Find It! Keep It! at http://www.ansemond.com.

It does not save everything you browse, but keeping something is simply a matter of pressing Alt-K. There will soon be a mode to keep everything browsed over the last n-days so that you can return to a saved copy of a page you kept within the last n-days. That way you can search through pages you visited recently.

You'll find it saves more pages with fewer rendering bugs. However it does not let you edit pages like Webstractor did.
sengan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
sengan
Prospect

Also, yes I'm afraid softchaos does seems to have gone bankrupt: http://bankrupt.com/TCREUR_Public/061116.mbx
sengan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
lmcneill

Softchaos is indeed in administration, and will presumably be declared bankrupt at some point. No word as to whether or not the administrator will sell Webstractor, or simply let it die.

As far as I know, unlocking codes for those who purchased Webstractor should not expire. I was the lead developer, though I did not work much with the framework handling the unlocking.

Leon
lmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
anika123
All Star

you could try slife http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19367
anika123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #9
Gary W. Longsine

Webstractor Lives! (acquired by illumineX)

Hi Folks,

I thought you might like to know that Softchaos has been acquired by illumineX. Webstractor and Yoink will continue to be supported. We have legally obtained the source code and all rights. Webstractor is building in XCode in our lab. We plan to release a new version relatively soon.

We use Webstractor ourselves. When Softchaos went into liquidation, one of our developers suggested that we track it down, because he loved the product so much, and didn't want it to die.

We have placed most of the softchaos.com web site back on line today (hosted with our friends at ModWest) although you cannot download or purchase yet.

: )

Webstractor, coming soon!

softchaos.com

Kind regards,

/gary
. .. ... ..... ....... ........... ....... ..... ... .. .
Gary W. Longsine
illumineX, inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macx2000
I've been using Softchaos' Webstractor for quite some time to do certain types of offline web archiving. Unfortunately, as far as anyone has been able to tell, the company is now defunct, and there is a good chance the program will no longer be supported at all.
I like this concept because I get just the data I need and the site doesn't get hammered by a bunch of continuous traffic, but it seems that most things out there go with the web-spider concept as opposed to the browse-and-record concept. That being said, does anyone know of any Webstractor-like programs that allow for export of an entire browsing session in standard formats?

Gary W. Longsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
dantrey

Smile great news!

This is brilliant. Just today I tried Webstactor, and loved it. I am a Professor, ex-IBM systems engineer, who has also managed merely by example I must note to convert scores of my student to Macs. I will heartily recommend Webs to them once it is up and running. Do let us know.
Dr. R. Watts (Cantab)
dantrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
Pipsqueaks
Prospect

Any News on the fate of Webstractor?

I've been following the saga of Webstractor -- a great tool. Gary Longsine wrote in this thread about a year and a half ago that a new version was going to come out "relatively soon", but there's been no word. Unfortunately, Webstractor doesn't work with Leopard, so I have a machine in my studio that I can't upgrade from Tiger.

Webstractor was many things to many people. While the ability to edit web pages was brilliant, it wasn't my primary use. I liked to go to a page, see all the unique links off of that page, and then capture all of those links in one operation. I could then save the Webstractor document for a complete record of, for example, all the external news links on a company's "what's new" page.

I hope Webstractor is actually reincarnated by IllumineX! Come on, guys!
Pipsqueaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
vja4Him
Triple-A Player

I have been using Webstractor since early 2004. When I got my new MacPro several weeks ago, I was looking forward to running Webstractor, hoping that it would run much faster (my main computer has been my iBook G4 since June 2004).

I was very disappointed to find out that Webstractor would not work in Snow Leopard .....

I spoke with somebody on the phone I think sometime in late 2008 (?) who told me that he was hoping to update Webstractor .... Sent him a couple e-mails with some ideas. He never responded to any of my messages.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
billverson
Prospect

Anyone know how to open an webstractor archive ? There used to be a HOWTO on the net how to change extension and open a .webstrac folder? Can you please post it here?
billverson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: