Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2002, 06:58 PM   #1
lidar_researcher
Prospect

Question "Error......Message could not be saved"

Maybe this is obvious....maybe not.......

I keep encountering the aforementioned message in a dialog box whenever I am composing a Mail app message. After dismissing the dialog box via the "Okay" button I can finish my message and send it along with a problem. Hence this issue isn't a big deal, but it is, nonetheless, irritating.

Any suggestions are welcome.

lr-

I am up to date on both the Mail app and OS.

Tibk-667_rev.2
lidar_researcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 04:56 AM   #2
jmorby
Prospect

Happens for me too :(

I notice no-one has replied to this post as yet ... but it's happening for me too on 10.3.5

Any ideas as to what might be causing it?
jmorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 06:14 AM   #3
Clytie
Major Leaguer

Mail saves your "draft" message automatically as you compose it. This is especially handy when you have to quit suddenly, or restart, or close the window and come back. It sounds as though it is having trouble doing this.

Does the message appear in your Drafts box after a bit? I don't know what the auto-save delay is, but it certainly saves them frequently, so if you wait a couple of minutes, or go away and come back, _without finishing and sending_, your "draft" message should show up in your Drafts mailbox.

If it does, and it shows the entire message, it's a bit puzzling as to what the problem could be, unless something has been moved. If it doesn't, ditto, but it gives us a pointer.

Have either of you moved anything relating to Mail recently? Changed any fonts? Had any black cats cross your path?

See if any of this helps fill in the picture, and whatever you do, watch out for those cats... A friend of mine says that a cat sitting on the keyboard and glaring at you up really close is usually some sort of terminal prompt (terminate this session and feed me NOW)

from Clytie

MacBook Pro 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, OSX latest, iPhone 4
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Las_Vegas
League Commissioner

The save occurs when Mail runs its cycle. If you have it set to check your mail every 5 minutes, the draft will be saved every 5 minutes. You can verify this by starting an email, iconize it and check you mail. Magically, your unfinished email appears in Drafts.

-- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
-- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.
-- Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals…

Last edited by Las_Vegas; 09-26-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Las_Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:04 AM   #5
Clytie
Major Leaguer

Thanks, LV. I wasn't sure of the time period. No wonder mine is quick: I have it checking mail ever 5 mins.

from Clytie

MacBook Pro 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, OSX latest, iPhone 4
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:06 AM   #6
TiWriter

Re: "Error Message Could Not Be Saved"

This is happening because Mail is trying to save the draft to a server which your Mac can not find. I was getting these annoying messages everytime I used my work account at home - it is in IMAP account for which Mail.app's default setting is set to save sent mail and drafts on the server. Go to Mail/preferences/accounts, select the account, go to Mailbox Behaviors and under Drafts, uncheck "save drafts on server" - and the Truth shall Set you Free.
TiWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
crazywelder72
Prospect

error message

the previous information about the email saving as a draft while writting seems like part of the issue acording to the different error messages that im getting but no one has said how to fix it yet?

can you reinstall the entrouage? if so would you loose all your previous info and emails? please help....

Last edited by crazywelder72; 09-27-2006 at 09:01 PM. Reason: tyfo
crazywelder72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #8
capitalj
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiWriter
This is happening because Mail is trying to save the draft to a server which your Mac can not find. I was getting these annoying messages everytime I used my work account at home - it is in IMAP account for which Mail.app's default setting is set to save sent mail and drafts on the server. Go to Mail/preferences/accounts, select the account, go to Mailbox Behaviors and under Drafts, uncheck "save drafts on server" - and the Truth shall Set you Free.

Hey, thanks.

This just started happening to me yesterday. I didn't think of unchecking the checkbox - I forgot it even existed.

j
capitalj is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: