Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
thatsrajan
Prospect

Angry Safari 3 Tabs

Hi there, I have always used firefox. But recently i have switched to safari. I am using safari 3 (latest version downloaded 2 days ago) and im loving it, except for a few annoying things. One of which is tab duplications.

How do i in safari duplicate tabs. It frustrates me that i cannot do so. Please help. Thank you.
thatsrajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

I must be getting a little dense...
I have read your question several times, but what do you mean be duplicate a tab? Do you mean 'make a new tab'?
If not, why would you want to 'duplicate' a tab. To me, that means create a new one exactly like one that's already there. I don't see the possible use...

You can copy and paste anything in Show All Bookmarks, which can mean copying a tab.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
MBHockey
MVP

I also fail to see what the OP is trying to convey.

thatsrajan, could you be a bit more specific?
MBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
J Christopher
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsrajan
Hi there, I have always used firefox. But recently i have switched to safari. I am using safari 3 (latest version downloaded 2 days ago) and im loving it, except for a few annoying things. One of which is tab duplications.

How do i in safari duplicate tabs. It frustrates me that i cannot do so. Please help. Thank you.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are trying to open a new tab with the contents of a current tab.

Select the contents of the address field by clicking on the favicon, or clicking on the top or bottom edge of the field, or clicking in the field and pressing cmd-a, or highlighting the text by "dragging" over it.

Now, drag the highlighted address to an empty place on the tab bar (or to a tab in which you want to open the address). Alternately, you can cmd-c the highlighted address and then open a new tab and paste the address into the address field.
J Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
chasbot

Lightbulb Simple

I can tell you exatly why I want to duplicate an exact tab. Let's say I am filling out a form, but in the middle of the process I say, oh shite, what did I put on that last page... NOW USUALLY if you click back, you lose all the info on your current page. Whereas if you could duplicate the tab, including all the tab's history information, you can click back in the second (cloned) tab, find your info, without losing all your info on the forum of the original tab.. that is just one reason i can think of off the top of my head, but I used to love in IE before tabs or anything, maybe IE4-5 when you went "File-New-Window" it would open the exact same window you had up, you could click back in the cloned window and get all the way back to the homepage. Trust me, For people who do web development and stuff that is more than watching youtube and playing internet games it comes in great handy, I'm surprised this Thread was abandoned so soon.. but come on JOBBERZZ let's get this feature implemented, it isn't hard GATEZY had it done 15 years ago
chasbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
cozmic

Chasbot: I completely agree with you and in my quest for this same search/answer, being new to mac and Safari (and still for more than a decade and OPERA diehard end user) I am painfully missing not only this feature Opera readily has offered practically since it's inception with just a right click of the mouse and 'DUPLICATE' I also am searching hi and low to find a way to get Safari to do another oh so simple, extremely convenient step which is clicking on a tab lets you toggle back and forth from the page your on and the 2nd to last-most recent secondary page. Basically with a 1 click of your mouse on the tabs you can go back and forth to refer back to something. These two features that Safari lacks for tab options are painfully missed while Im loving Mac and I in many ways warming up fast to Safari it lacks some very useful fundamental features like the feature(s) we're looking for. In fact, I've also just spent a bonafide excessive amount of time to, once again fundamentally essential and simpley put CHANGE THE SAFARI SKIN. It's not just that darkish steel color that gets boring but as a person who wears glasses and I'm not talking coke bottles by any means I still find myself time and time again when I min Opera and try and use Safari as I want to warm up to it and frankly it's Apple's browser and a no brainer on a Mac said browser is going to best work in sync with whatever one is trying to do----and there I am leaning nose to lcd screen trying to read what darn tab I'm on. HELP PLEASE? in harmony with Chasbot's request my reply is not only the same appeal (after several daZe of looking and reading Pogues Hidden Secrets book-a great resource for new and advanced mac users!) to no avail. After reading a few sections in the book my guess is that whatever resolves for now at least till Safari takes a cue from the voices of the many with the same issues there is going to be some widget? or some small utility to make tabs duplicate, toggle back and forth with one click, and lastly, just simply change the safari skin color. I don't for a minute think this was an oversight on Apples part I can't believe that. Rather if they are going to pride themselves on apple v windoze being much tighter and efficient then I would swap out for example, being able to easily animate any desktop wallpaper which takes up quite a bit of system resources (even Pogue states this) for a far less draining and more practical set of browser features that are not only useful but really fundamentally sound. When I read out here in response to chasbot's appeal the remarkS "I don't see the point...." and some with such a tone as to suggest the opposing people looking for these features are basically out in la la land for wanting some bizarre sounding features I can only shake my head and conclude you can't miss what you've not experienced. And more than likely it will be a mac user in contrast to my latter remark that ends up possibly posting a temp. resolve until Safari offers a far more improved version. I rarely post online anywhere and when I do I don't end up writing mini novels so this screams to me my frustrations in the past 4 months of being a first time Mac person (who has no remote inclination to look back-MAC ROCKS period!) Just the same and it it within the agreement that venting is okay and so I have. If I ever reply here again I will make every effort to keep it brief. Spending days on end for such basic elements to a run a clean multi faceted well rounded browser; I suppose my expectations were nearly as large as Apple's years of ego driven marketing that has long shouted, to paraphrase 'there's the best APPLE and then there's the rest or the other (from software to hardware. A browser that you cant even change to a light color so you can read the black text that you also can't change colors to either. U-who? anyone at mac reading these forums this long reply/post is for you mostly. Over n out n frustrated not to mention anticipating someone will reply with some useful tip toward pointing those of us wanting said direction(s) and less to not at all on the length of my reply/post if at all nor the pointless intimation of my duplicate request re: tab features. A leave a tip I've most recently come across for anyone interested that I found very kool go to misssingmanuals.com and have a read re: RCdefaultapp- a system prefrences feature rich point and click tweak free utility for download. peace.
cozmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
sircharlo
Triple-A Player

Why did you abandon firefox ?
sircharlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

I just copied a tab in Safari 3
I don't know if you could do the same in older versions of Safari
Here's what I did:
New tab (from the File menu) I think Saft, or other config utilities, will give you a new tab button to add to the Safari toolbar.
Click the tab you want to copy, so the URL appears in the address window.
Click on the icon on the left of the address window, which selects that URL
Drag the address to the new tab. - and there it is...
There's probably a step or two that you can do with short cuts, and not (apparently) a single click operation - but still gets your result: a copy of any tab.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
HazyJMac
Major Leaguer

Have a look at Safari Stand. It'll give you that new tab button mentioned earlier. Click the button to create a new tab, drag the favocon over and there ya go. There may even be a setting to have the new tab open to your current page. Not sure if this will bring your history over of not though. Worth a look.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
NaOH
Hall of Famer

The script available here will duplicate a tab. Depending upon a user's preferred script-launching method, this could easily be launched with the built-in Script Menu, Keyboard Maestro, Butler, Quicksilver, and probably a bunch of other third-party utilities/launchers that aren't occurring to me right now.
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
NaOH
Hall of Famer

Also note that the DeltaMac and HazyJMac suggestions have an unnecessary step. A user doesn't need to create a new tab before dragging the favicon (to the left of an address in the address bar). Simply drag the favicon to empty space in the tab bar and a duplicate tab will be created.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tab Bar Screenshot.png
Views:	141
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	2979  
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #12
Salo

Another solution...

If you are filling out a form and want to "go back" and look at the previous page, hold down the Command key and click the <back button.

That will open the previous page in a new tab.
Salo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
Theophil
Prospect

Duplication of tab is ...

To duplicate a tab T means to have a new tab N which is same in content with the tab T. Duplication is not a mere copy of the current url of the tab T pasted into a new tab N, but also a copy of the history of the tab T (history of visited sites, so that it is possible to visit previous sites in the new tab by clicking the "back arrow").

I do not think that the script above take into account to copy history of visited sites contained in the tab T.

I will use safari when this standard feature of tab browsing is implemented as it is in Opera and Firefox.

Kind regards
Theophil
Theophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Interesting point of view, I suppose, and not shared by everyone. That would be why there are alternate browsers. If they all had the same features, why would anyone bother with developing different ones.
I prefer to 'duplicate' with a simple copy of the tab URL, as the new tab at the same site may work through a different path, and a different history is developed, even if you are on the same site...
Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
Theophil
Prospect

Thanks for your thoughts, DeltaMac. Here are my further comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
Interesting point of view, I suppose, and not shared by everyone. That would be why there are alternate browsers. If they all had the same features, why would anyone bother with developing different ones.

The point is that the tab duplication is almost a standard feature. Opera and Firefox have it. Although IExplorer do not have tab duplication, at least you can duplicate the browser window. Browsers can be different, but still share standard features that provide an efficient browsing experience.

Quote:
I prefer to 'duplicate' with a simple copy of the tab URL, as the new tab at the same site may work through a different path, and a different history is developed, even if you are on the same site...

This is not a matter of preference, but of efficiency and possibility. The point is that Safari lacks the possibility to duplicate tab, regardless if one prefers to use such feature.

Regarding different path histories, a duplicated tab has the same history of the original at the time of duplication, but will have a different future path.

Kind regards,
Theophil
Old 06-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophil
The point is that Safari lacks the possibility to duplicate tab, regardless if one prefers to use such feature.

? - A tab copy (not quite your duplicate) is not just possible, but simple in Safari.
Even a feature that might be considered standard by you, doesn't mean that feature is even relevant with another developer. It's part of the choices that you make, and compromises that you may have to accept when using any software.

No, there's no button that comes with Safari to perform that function, although dragging an active URL to the tab bar creates a new tab with that same URL.
Saft or Glims might do what you need, I suppose...
Glad you found other browsers that will do what you want... If you want that included in Safari, then feel free to submit a bug report - that's one of the good uses for that reporting system.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
chabig
Hall of Famer

Duplicating a tab is just a simple drag and drop operation. Drag the favicon in the address bar to an empty spot on the tab bar. Voila!
chabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #18
Theophil
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMac
If you want that included in Safari, then feel free to submit a bug report - that's one of the good uses for that reporting system.

Yes, I have done that because Safari is otherwise a good browser.

Kind regards,
Alex
Old 06-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
Theophil
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig
Duplicating a tab is just a simple drag and drop operation. Drag the favicon in the address bar to an empty spot on the tab bar. Voila!

Drag and drop operation does not duplicate a tab with all history of visited sites, but only the current URL. See my previous comments on what is involved in duplication of tabs.

Kind regards,
Alex
Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
djthomas

Talking Shortcut to more or less achieve duplicated tab

One shortcut which more or less achieves this is Cmd +L -- keep holding command -- followed immediately by Cmd + Enter.
This is the equivalent of selecting the URL in the address bar, copying and pasting it, and opening that link immediately in a new tab.
However, I agree with the original poster that this is a much-needed feature (particularly for form-filling, working through multiple-stage browser processes, online transactions etc.).
There is a great add-on for Firefox that achieves the exact cloned tab feature that you are talking about (including the ability to go back in the new tab through your previous page history, rather than just effectively copying and pasting the URL).
This is called the 'Clone Window' add-on (it can duplicate both tabs and windows), and can be found at:

http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?addon=cw&page=1

I think this feature used to come as standard on Internet Explorer for PC, and it has been a great frustration for me that it has been so difficult to replicate on the Mac/Safari (and indeed that it requires a special add-on for Firefox).
Happy browsing all!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: