Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > OS X Server

Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
dtemp
Prospect

Yellow light on Xserve

Now... I know this sounds like a hardware question, but I have a sneaky feeling OS-X server (10.4.9) is playing a key role in this...

Basically, I have a 750GB ADM in one of my slots in my Xserve Quad Xeon. The drive works perfectly, with partitions that mount correctly, and fast read/writes, etc... but the light on the drive module always stays yellow!

I've taken the physical HDD out of the ADM tray and installed it into a G5 tower, and the drive worked perfectly in it too. But when placed back into the ADM and back into the Xserve, that yellow light remains.

I worry about this because I even though the drive works fine, I don't want to discover the wrong way one day that this is something I should have fixed!

*Disclaimer: This was a 80GB ADM from the factory that had its drive taken out and replaced with a 750GB Seagate 7200.10 ES
dtemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
giskard22

Ummm, that "disclaimer" at the end of your post is pretty important. Fairly reputable sources have reported that Apple uses special firmware in the disks for its ADMs. Using an off-the-shelf disk may be the problem. The way to be sure is to put the original 80 back in and see if the light stays yellow.

Have you simply opened Server Monitor to see if it reports any problems?
giskard22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
tlarkin
League Commissioner

it could be as simple as a SMART failure, which in some cases the drive still works for the most part fine, but SMART is reporting failures meaning it is detecting it will fail sometime in the near future.

If its under warranty just replace it.
tlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
dtemp
Prospect

Giskard22: I knew about this. However I've had zero problems in the past with Xserve G4's and G5's. The firmware is essentially what Seagate does with its "ES" line, it optimizes the drive's read/write patterns or something to make the drive a couple percentage points faster for typical server usage. I don't believe its anything more complicated than that... and I believe you could take one of thsoe 80GB "apple firmware" drives and put it into a PC and it would work fine.

Tlarkin: Yup the first thing I checked was SMART and its fine.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
dtemp
Prospect

As an addendum to my posts, the yellow light only comes on "most" of the time. The other 20%, I just stick in the drive module and the green light comes on and everything is cool. (Remember, either way, it works fine, its just the light)
Old 05-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
tlarkin
League Commissioner

do you have GSX access? Download the service manual and see what the yellow light means. I could be fan failing or something else....

what does your system log say?
Old 03-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
siar

gsx access

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarkin
do you have GSX access? Download the service manual and see what the yellow light means. I could be fan failing or something else....

what does your system log say?

what do you mean by gsx access ?
siar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
tlarkin
League Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by siar
what do you mean by gsx access ?

access to

https://gsx.apple.com
Old 03-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
DeltaMac
League Commissioner

There's no additional information in the xServe service manual about the drive module lights, except for this:
Quote:
The upper LED shows drive status: a green light indicates the drive is good; a yellow or red light indicates the drive should be replaced.

So, the drive module is reporting that your drive needs to be replaced. If you have a non-qualified drive, then you may have erroneous errors, and the rest of the monitoring system in the xserve may not be accessing the drive properly. That may be the difference with some small change to the drive's firmware. Maybe you will not have an 'actual' problem, but how would you know? Even though it passes your simple testing, the ADModule doesn't seem to like it....
You could simply get the drive replaced, as it should have a manufacturer's warranty.
DeltaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Tallman610

Merely a possibility

I have read in other forums that drives larger than 500gb spend a great deal of time error checking. Perhaps that process is illuminating the yellow warning light. If you have a 500gb non Apple drive you might try it out to see if it also causes the issue.
Tallman610 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: