Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 05-19-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
lcutter
Prospect

Repair cost for an ibook g4

Ok, a few day ago I posted that my iBook g4 would die when unplugged. I bought a new battery, and still the same problem. After multiple attempts at resetting PMU, P-Ram, using Open Firmware to reset NVRAM, and using just about every boot key sequence and fowl language combo to threaten the thing to work, it shorted out. If I plug it in, it makes a strange buzzing noise, the caps lock and num lock buttons light up, the screen semi-lights up with weird lines, and the power adapter light comes on green. Now this is an interesting sidebar, but the power adapter stays lit up even when I pull the plug from the iBook. Anyways, out of denial that I do not want this to be a logic board problem, I suspect it may be a bad power adapter and DC-in board combination. Minus buying a new adapter, any idea how much it would cost to fix this mess either logic board, dc-in board, or both? Thanks

iBook g4, 900Mhz, 40GB, 512 Mb Ram, combo drive
lcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
cwtnospam
League Commissioner

If it's a logic board, my guess is that the cost will be too close to that of a shiny new Macbook. That's especially true considering how much more you'd get with a Macbook.
cwtnospam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
macbook2
Prospect

Time to buy new

I used to own a ibook G4. I still have parts of it at least...

Then I was facing the exact same issue you are having now, almost to a stage of denial that it wasn't my logic board that failed.

But from the symptoms you described, almost can say without a doubt, LOGIC BOARD KAPUTTED.

You can trawl the web for a replacement board. It costs around USD 650 excluding shipping costs. And theres the uncertainty of you replacing it yourself. Send it in for repairs into an Apple centre, and like what cwtnospam said, you are better off getting a new macbook, just like me.

Go ahead and buy that new macbook. You know its worth the money.
macbook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
tlarkin
League Commissioner

I had the same ibook, you know there was a logic board recall on those models right?

It sounds like logic board issues to me, and that laptop is worth $300ish give or take on ebay (i just recently sold mine, got $300 for it) and the part to fix it would cost probably about that much if not a bit more, plus the labor. New Macbook starts at $1,000 and its an upgrade.

You may be out of date on the recall, search apples website for the kbase articles.
tlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: