Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Old 04-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
Thorz
Prospect

Question Need help with Bootcamp 1.2 and firmware on my MB

Boot Camp Assistant 1.1 was working fine and I decided to update it with version 1.2 after it came out. I trashed the Boot Camp Assistant.app from the utilities folder and ran the 1.2 installer. The upgrade appeared to go fine but when I run Boot Camp Assistant.app I only get "Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used: You must update your computer's boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant".

When I check the FW on my MB I find that I have:

Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B02
SMC Version: 1.4f12

When I look on Apple's support pages I find that the latest Boot ROM version for my machine is MB11.0061.B03. I guessed that this is why Boot Camp 1.2 was not working but didn't understand why I had not received any update message from the automatic update utility.

I decided to manually update the firmware and downloaded the appropriate file from http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...eupdate10.html

My surprise was big when I was going to run the update and I got "ALERT: This computer does not need this update".

I don't know what to do now. I have tried to reinstall Boot Camp 1.2 without been able to run it. Why cannot I update to MB11.0061.B03?

I appreciate your help.
Thorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Thorz
Prospect

I have received some PMs of people with the same problem.

I will update this thread with the results:

Apple took the machine in for servicing, and I recommend contacting Apple if you still have warranty and have this issue.

The thing is that the machine was in service last December and Apple changed the logic board. The result is that you cannot update the firmware anymore! I had read about this on other mac boards on the net.

Other symptom of the problem is that going into the MORE INFO menu where all the info about your machine is, you cannot see the serial number anymore. If your machine is presenting this issue it is possible that you have also problems updating to the last firmware.

I hope info this helps others.
Thorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
DeanCorp

I managed to get my serial number back you have to download this: http://www.mediafire.com/?4yeeombyqky

open up disk utility make it a bootable disc restart your macbook. Hold down the "D" key and then it will prompt you to enter in the serial number it will write it to the NVRAM and it will appear again

As for the Boot Rom I cannot get that fixed as mine is outside the warranty period.

Can you give me any more detail of what happened with yours when you took it into the service centre?

Thanks

DeanCorp
DeanCorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: