Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
zjoshua
Triple-A Player

.ape and .cue

I have osx tiger. i got this .ape file from the web together with a .cue file, which i understands stores info about how the .ape file is to be sliced up. however i've found no softwares that will do this job. any ideas?
zjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
ThreeDee
Hall of Famer

Usually it's a .bin/.cue pair. Never heard of .ape. Try using LiquidCD (Free!) or Toast ($70) to burn the files.

iPod Touch 5G, 32GB, iOS 6.1.3
ThreeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
jbc
All Star

I don't believe Toast works with .ape files. I usually covert the .ape file to .aiff using xACT, then divide the resulting large .aiff file into tracks using the "Auto Define Tracks..." option in Bias Peak.

If you're just trying to get the audio onto a cd, you could probably just burn the large .aiff file to audio cd, but then the disc would contain no track information. Not sure how to accomplish this apart from the method described above.
jbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 AM   #4
melon
All Star

Try this method:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://sbooth.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2438
Use xACT to convert the .ape image to .wav form

Edit the .cue file and change the word WAVE to BIN in the first lines

Drag the cue file onto toast

Save it as an image file

Mount the image file

Use iTunes to rip it

(can use Max to read the tags of the files)

If you just want playback, Cog can play ape files (amongst other files).
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
zjoshua
Triple-A Player

when i drag the cue file, which is basically a text file, Toast says it's not a sound file. When do I also add the WAVE file to Toast?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
zjoshua
Triple-A Player

it doens't work. can i do this more easily on PC? i mean someone ripped the cd this way presumably it works somewhere!?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:06 AM   #7
melon
All Star

You know you could always try Google

Anyway try these methods:

http://aadm.wordpress.com/2005/11/04...e-audio-files/
Quote:
1. make sure you have both the music.ape and the music.ape.cue file (the .cue file contains the split points and the name of the tracks).
2. launch xACT, go to the “shntool” tab
3. select the “split” option; select the output format (usually I’d use aiff, then leave the conversion to mp3/aac format to iTunes)
4. drag the music.ape file in the drop area on the left
5. click the “Call Shntool” button; the app will now ask for the location of the file with split point data; that’s you music.ape.cue file ! Just select the .cue file, choose an output folder and the splitting/conversion process will begin.

A few notes to finish up:

* the cue file should begin with the “FILE” line; if it doesn’t then delete the first lines (they could have other information such as performer and title of the album).
* there’s very little information about what xACT is doing; if you’re worried that it might be stuck just have a look at the output folder, where you should see the output aiff files being created. Or just fire up the Activity Monitor, and look at processes called “sox”, or “mac” (usually with a fairly high degree of cpu usage).

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=48167
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathustra
what you can do with an ape/cue is this:

1. convert the ape to wav with xACT
2. edit the cue sheet so the first line is FILE "cdimage.wav"
3. use xACT (shntool) to split the wavs
4. create a gapless disk image with Toast and then mount it.

Works perfectly.

If you run into problems:
Quote:
I also had difficulties splitting an APE encoded file. This is anyway not due to xAct but rather to shntool which seems to be a bit restrictive as to the format of the cue files it's able to process.
Here's a workaround : open the cue file with Textedit and check that it's content conforms to the format given in the documentation provided with xAct. Correct it if needed then save it.
Here are for instance some points to check : The first line should be a "FILE" command, so delete any preceding line. The "INDEX" command must look like this : INDEX 01 mm:ss:hh. One and only one should follow each TRACK command. Hence an INDEX 00 command should be replaced by INDEX 01. TITLE and PERFORMER commands seem not to be recognized. They may therefore be deleted. After splitting the file, you can manually rename the individual track files with the names provided with the TITLE commands.

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/smf/inde...sg8303#msg8303
Quote:
1. Download the Holy Grail utility (CocoaMonkey), which can still be found here as of 11 Jan 2006: http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/CM_20040224e.tar.gz

2. Unarchive, and launch CocoaMonkey.

3. Check your Preferences, if you want extractions to .aiff or .wav, if you want your files extracted to the same directory as the source files or a different directory, etc.

3. In the Decode tab, drag and drop the Cue file from an .ape file. (I had both the .ape and the .cue in the same directory, this may be necessary to got this to work)

4. Press the Decode button, wait for the process to complete.

5. Look in the created directory, you will see uncompressed audio files called Track01, Track02, etc, all divided up into tracks. Cheesy

6. Drag all those files into Toast Audio tab and select Audio CD from the choices on the left in the drawer under the Formats tab.

7. In the Toast menubar, go to File>Save As Disc Image (apple-D)

8. Save it wherever you want to, with whatever name you want, wait for the process to complete.

9. Locate the resulting .Sd2f file, ctrl-click it, and select Mount.

10. After a few moments, the file will mount as if it were CD media in your optical drive, iTunes will access CDDB and get all the track names and tags, etc.

11. You may then extract it with xACT if you wish, to tagged .wav/.aiff files, encode to FLAC, rip to mp3, whatever you want.

http://www.carareok.com/bluemint/index.php/p236
Quote:
1. Download and install xACT.
2. Launch xACT and select the “decode” tab.
3. “Add” the .ape file to the box and choose “aiff” output format.
4. Click “Decode” to start decoding. This takes a long while; be patient.
5. You’ll get a new file with the .aiff extention.

1. Launch your iTunes
2. Import the .aiff into your iTunes Library.
3. Highlight the newly imported file and select the “Convert Selection to MP3″ command from the Advanced menu.
4. You’ll get a new .mp3 tracks after conversion.

1. Download and install Cue-splitter, an annoying nagware by Gabriel Gritsch.
2. Launch it, and follow the instructions, viz, select the .cue file, select the audio-file (which is the .mp3 file you just converted in your iTunes.)

For PC, just use Cue Splitter.

Last edited by melon; 03-22-2007 at 04:13 AM.
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
dizzyvison

Have you tried max?

I came across the same problem and used Max (http://sbooth.org/Max/).

I set the cue file to be opened by the Max app and clicked ok. A bunch of tracks appeared so I then set select all and hit convert.

A bunch of mp3 files were generated alongside the cue file folder. I could have dug around and selected a different file format but mp3 is fine for what I want so I didn't bother.

The files were generated without file names which at first glance was going to be a major drag, but when I dragged and dropped them into itunes al the metadata was retained. Great.

I kind of blundered through it but it wasn't too complicated and only required converting the file format once.

Hope this helps the lazy schleps like me through this file format jiggery pockery!
dizzyvison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
jbc
All Star

More options are available now than when this thread was started. My current favorite for handling ape/cue sets is X Lossless Decoder. The output format and options for file naming are easily set in the preferences.
jbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Remedial
Triple-A Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc
More options are available now than when this thread was started. My current favorite for handling ape/cue sets is X Lossless Decoder. The output format and options for file naming are easily set in the preferences.

The only problem I have with using X Lossless (which is GREAT otherwise), is that it always re-encodes the files (using the options set in the preferences menu) when splitting using a cue file. It even does this when using an mp3 and cue file, which is literally pointless and degrading of an already lossy file. Cue Splitter (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13093/cue-splitter) is able to do "true" splitting on mp3 files, but I have yet to find a program that can do the same with lossless files.

Anyone know of any?
Remedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
tedjohn09

I usually covert the .ape file to .aiff using xACT, then divide the resulting large .aiff file into tracks using the "Auto Define Tracks..." option in Bias Peak.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
musicmaster

To make things simple...
Just use the free "Max" ripper, set-up your preferable output format (apple lossless included), your output directory (asking Max to put everything in iTunes is great) and go with "convert"....

The next more simple thing (if you have many ape/cue files to convert) is to set-up an "automator" workflow and attach it to a shortcut key and enjoy your coffee while you do more interesting things than cope with stupid procedures!! (kidding)
Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 AM   #13
musicmaster

simple

To make things simple...
Just use the free "Max" ripper, set-up your preferable output format (apple lossless included), your output directory (asking Max to put everything in iTunes is great) and go with "convert"....
the next more simple thing (if you have many ape/cue files to convert) is to set-up an "automator" workflow and attach it to a shortcut key and enjoy your coffee while you do more interesting things than cope with stupid procedures!! (kidding)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: