Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
jerad
Prospect

Audio just quit Macbook pro...

Up in the menu bar it shows full audio with adjustment but I have no audio. When I use the keyboard audio keys f3-f5 it shows a circle with a line through it. I went to the system prefs and it says "The Selected device has no output controls". I have restarted the system, removed the batter, quit everything... not sure what the problem is. This just happened out of no where. I have Mac Book Pro 10.4.8 2Ghz... This unit is only 5 months old.
jerad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
jerad
Prospect

Well i fixed the problem, I plugged in headphones and removed them right away and now it works. Note: if your audio is not working and for some reason there is a red light coming out of your headphones jack, just plug in headphones and remove them...
jerad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
jazzpurr

Thank you!

I had exactly the same problem and had tried all sorts of things (and searches) to solve it.

The headphone jack in then out solved it immediately.

Thank you so much for your posting!
jazzpurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
ds2xa

No sound from internal speakers

Exact same thing happened to me. I have a Mac Book pro with Leopard 10.5. I was afraid that I had a major problem. For no reason that I could discern, all of a sudden I could not get sound from my internal speakers. All I had to do was insert a buddy's ear phones, pull them out right away and - presto - I'm back to normal.

Thank goodness for this forum, or I would have been in trouble.
ds2xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:48 AM   #5
aphealy
Prospect

I have a PowerBook G4 running Leopard 10.5.1, the same thing happened to me, but unfortunately the headphone jack in-out trick didn't work. Still searching for a solution ...
aphealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
zephyrdoodle
Prospect

Worked for me too

The first few times I tried the headphone trick, it didn't work, but putting them in and pulling them out really quick did.

Thanks everybody!
zephyrdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
tlarkin
League Commissioner

I have seen this happen a lot on our Macbooks here at work. The earphone jack gets stuck in the "on" position which disables the speakers and routes all output to the head phone jack. In some cases it would be permanently stuck and I would have to get the main logic board replaced.

You can tell this is the case if you have no audio and then look at your head phone jack port on your laptop. If there is a red light inside of it, then it is stuck on and you will need to unstick it. I have heard of people using paper clips to flip the little switch in there, but that has never worked for me if it was broken. Sometimes by plugging in and then unplugging the head phones it worked, and sometimes it didn't.
tlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
seidmadx

Paper clip worked for me, head phones didn't.
seidmadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #9
Civilian#3

Paperclip advice?

The "ol' head phone in and out trick" isn't working for me... any tips on what I should be poking at with the paper clip?
Civilian#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
trevor

There's a microswitch inside the jack. A good flashlight should allow you to see it. If you use a paper clip, make sure that you don't wear down the edges of the microswitch, just change it's switch position. In fact, I'd advise a wooden toothpick over a paper clip, since the wood is softer and less likely to cause further problems.

Trevor
trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:24 AM   #11
Djknight

If headphones don't work try this!

The headphone trick didn't work for me (macbook Pro)
The sensor on my Macbook Pro seems to be at the top of the port, I used a plastic tooth pick (with the sharp end removed), make sure it is as long as a headphone jack, bend the end up a little and with the bent part pointing up slide it in and them pull it out putting pressure to the top of the port.
Hope this helps!
Djknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
rimmo

No luck with Macbook Pro audio

I have not been able to solve this problem. It is a pre-2008 Aluminium Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. I tried the audio plug idea. There is no red light. When it starts up there is a circle with a diagonal line through it. The volume control is gray. I can get sound with a USB or Firewire speaker. I can get sound in with a USB webcam. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds2xa
Exact same thing happened to me. I have a Mac Book pro with Leopard 10.5. I was afraid that I had a major problem. For no reason that I could discern, all of a sudden I could not get sound from my internal speakers. All I had to do was insert a buddy's ear phones, pull them out right away and - presto - I'm back to normal.

Thank goodness for this forum, or I would have been in trouble.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
zonar

I've had this problem as well. Tonight the fix was simple, though accidentally discovered: I rebooted single user for a completely unrelated reason with headphones jacked in. After I exited single user mode and the full boot commenced, once I logged in as me audio was back. So try restarting with headphones jacked in and report back. Not sure it's replicable, but I'm listening to Internet radio right now.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
ajcraft

I've just had this problem with a MacBook Pro that's one month old. There wasn't a red light, and headphone in & out trick made no difference. I rebooted with the headphones plugged in, and that fixed it. Thanks Zonar!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
adyblain
Triple-A Player

Had this problem a coupla times over the years. Had it again just now 2008 MBP running Lion. Headphones wouldn't work this time, although previously that had been the solution, so I tried the paperclip thing and just gently rubbed it around the jack, and voila! the red light disappeared and I can hear again.

Thanks OS X Hints for being so awesome... and RIP Mr. Steve Jobs. I'll miss your inspiration.
adyblain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
Flippy

Another solution

... After trying all methods on this forum, I came to a different resolution: For some reason my computer thought a bluetooth headset was present, although at the time I was only using a bluetooth mouse. Turning off the bluetooth in the system preferences altogether reset the audio output.

Hope this helps some people out of this frustrating problem.

Went to the "Genius" Bar earlier and their 'couldn't be bothered' solution was to replace the Logic Board for $500. Go figure!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #17
shashkana

An alternate way of fixing speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerad
Well i fixed the problem, I plugged in headphones and removed them right away and now it works. Note: if your audio is not working and for some reason there is a red light coming out of your headphones jack, just plug in headphones and remove them...

- I had the exact problem described by the original poster, redlight in headphone port, while headphones were working but speakers were coming up with a white no entry logo with no sound.

The above solution was not working for me but what did work was you have to put in the headphone jack with a bit of force and take it out again quickly with a bit of force (ofcourse not too much, but a bit forcibly).

You should now have your speakers working again.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
shashkana

After trying the headphone trick and reboot with headphones I found that it wasn't working.

- The way I made mine work is I put a bit of force into putting the headphone jack in, and quickly taking it out again (of course not too much force but enough so that the switch inside moves into place). Doing this a couple of times properly did the trick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: