Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
JazzDude
Triple-A Player

Unhappy Volume Keys not working

Today my volume keys stopped working:

It happens with either the MacBook's built-in keyboard or the external Pro Keyboard.
Does anyone know how to fix this? (I already tried a permissions repair.)
PowerBook G3 333, 256MB, 10.3.x
assorted other older Macs
JazzDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
JazzDude
Triple-A Player

OK, I managed to fix it - with AppleJack. Awesome program.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
JazzDude
Triple-A Player

It's broken again, after a restart. How can I fix this permanently?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Norm Nager
All Star

I wonder whether the System Preferences are corrupted and whether moving the prefs to the desktop (and letting the Mac create new prefs) might prevent this from re-occuring?

Respectfully, Norm
Norm Nager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Norm Nager
All Star

Look in users/~/library/preferences for com.apple.systempreferences.plist

If moving that to the desktop and re-starting the Mac doesn't fix it, you might want to try booting your Mac from a pristine test user account and rule out other sources of corruption in your regular user account.

Respectfully, Norm
Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #6
JazzDude
Triple-A Player

Norm, that seems to have fixed my problem. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
pistachoo
Prospect

Unhappy still no working solution to volume problem

Hi Norm,

I have been scouring the Nets for a solution to this maddening problem with few results. Your string of suggestions was the most useful thing I could find.

Sadly, despite my having tried everything you suggest (AppleJack, moving the plist, etc) it does not stay "fixed" for more than a few minutes after the reboot. Sometimes it is intermittent, but lately the red light is on /volume disabled more often than not, sooner than later, and of longer duration .

Is it my imagination that this problem surfaced right after the 10.4.10 update?

As far as I can tell it has to be a software problem. But I am stymied: I am too new a mac user (about a year) to fiddle on my own with this.

Thus, I hope that (1) you still read this thread, (2) a solution exists, and (3) you know and can tell it to me!!

Thanks very much,
pistachoo
pistachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
Norm Nager
All Star

What happens after you log out and then back in from a test account?

I do not recall reading about anybody having the problem after updating to 10.4.10. I used 10.4.10 for a short time without incident before moving up to OS 10.5 (Leopard). But, then, again, each Mac user has different hardware and software configurations and 10.4.10 may not fit well with your configurations.

One possible fix is to download and run the combo Tiger updater for the most recent version.

If that doesn't work, a more drastic fix (meaning a lot more work and time is required) is to clone or backup everything to another drive, make sure that the clone is bootable and then erase the hard drive on which you've been operating. Then do a clean install of Tiger or Leopard. Rather than import settings and preferences from your clone, install applications and their updates and create new preferences and settings.

Respectfully, Norm
Old 12-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
pistachoo
Prospect

Cool clarification/details

Hi Norm,

Thank you for responding so soon!

I assume by test account it means only creating a new user account in system preferences and then logging into it? I did so, and the problem persists.

Also, a slight error on my part: I currently have 10.4.11 installed. It was since this latest update that the problem has been around. I have also tried installing that update by downloading manually the Combo package from the Apple website. No change.

Lastly, I noticed today that when I reboot (or log in), the red LED in the 2.5 mm audio jack is OFF, which would lead one to believe that everything is A-ok. However, it turns on as soon as I touch any of the volume keys, and I immediately get the same image as was posted by the initial person complaining of this problem in this thread. And no sound.

What next?
pistachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
jpmcgster
Prospect

10.1 Same problem after upgrading to Leopard

I did a fresh install of Leopard on a brand new hard drive and the volume keys including the whole row of F1, F2, etc. did not work. After messing around a bit I found a fix. If you go into "System Preferences" then "Keyboard and Mouse" settings, under the "Keyboard" settings uncheck the "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys".

I'm sort of new to the Mac world so I apologize if was a no brainer for some of you.
jpmcgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
P6SMSKC
Triple-A Player

Try running "Audio MIDI Setup" (it's in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder) and make sure "Built-in Output" is selected there for your default and system outputs. If some other device is selected there you'll get the described symptoms.
P6SMSKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:19 AM   #12
A.A.Slayden

Go to sound in system preferences, go to output, and ensure that you have the correct output selected. I had this problem for a bit.
A.A.Slayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #13
johncmurphy

If you are a software developer running the iPhone Simulator on your Mac this can happen accidentally sometimes. Just go to the Sound panel of the System Preferences to restore the proper output setting.
johncmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #14
ottocrat

Hi - I'm having this problem now too - for about 24 hours now. I had my headphones plugged in, when I unplugged them the system audio suddenly stopped working as if the onboard speakers weren't recognised. When I plug headphones back in then the volume controls work again; and again not when the headphones are unplugged.

I'm on a Macbook Pro (2ghz Core Duo) running 10.5.7.

I've tried trashing the plist (com.apple.systempreferences) and rebooting, to no avail. In system prefs/sound/output the only available option is 'digital out' and the volume slider is greyed out ("the selected device has no output controls"). In Audio MIDI Setup the only available output is Built-In Output.
ottocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #15
jonathanrwcb

I need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Nager
I wonder whether the System Preferences are corrupted and whether moving the prefs to the desktop (and letting the Mac create new prefs) might prevent this from re-occuring?

Respectfully, Norm

Hello Norm,

I, too, am having trouble in terms of my volume being locked and what not.
T'is dreadful, and I am onto my last resorts... A complete stranger who would delightfully help me? Am i not wright?
Help in the way of this would be immensely appreciated

Regards, Jonathan

P.S
Go Punctuation Day!!
jonathanrwcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
av8r

I had the problem today, google searched and found your solution Norm. Worked perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to help people. Good karma to you.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:16 AM   #17
funivers

Function key not responding

Hi.. Might this help

Preferences-->Keyboard&mouse-->Check box use all F1,F2....this will activate the volume, the brightness...

regards
Old 01-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #18
Gifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocrat
Hi - I'm having this problem now too - for about 24 hours now. I had my headphones plugged in, when I unplugged them the system audio suddenly stopped working as if the onboard speakers weren't recognised. When I plug headphones back in then the volume controls work again; and again not when the headphones are unplugged.

I'm on a Macbook Pro (2ghz Core Duo) running 10.5.7.

I've tried trashing the plist (com.apple.systempreferences) and rebooting, to no avail. In system prefs/sound/output the only available option is 'digital out' and the volume slider is greyed out ("the selected device has no output controls"). In Audio MIDI Setup the only available output is Built-In Output.

Hi, my girlfriend's computer just got this problem an hour ago. Exactly the same situation as quoted, 2ghz Intel Duo, 10.5.7.

Not sure what to try next.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #19
mosieposy

Volume not working

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with the volume and when I tried to get into system preference, it wouldn't open! Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #20
waltsh

Same thing!

After doing a safe boot, I have no sound. When I click on the volume key on the keyboard, it is grayed out, with a "circle with a line though it" symbol. Audio in system preferences is grayed out also. Bummer.
I have a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with Snow Leopard 10.6.3. Any help will be much appreciated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: