Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Hardware and Peripherals

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
Nawar

HP 650C plotter...works OK in OSX?

I have just been offered a super deal on a used HP DesignJet 650C plotter. I would like to get it, but I want to make sure that it will work OK with OSX 10.4 before I jump. Does anybody have any experience with this printer? Does it work OK?

I check the HP website and they have driver downloads for Mac OS 9, but do drivers from OS 9 work in OS X very well?
Thanks for your help!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
macsolver
Major Leaguer

Hi,

There are two ways of driving the HP Designjet 650C - as a Plotter or as a Printer. Plotting uses HPGL2, while to Print requires a RIP to convert the Print information to HPGL2 which the plotter can use, which is therefore slower.

Plotting can be done direct from applications with built in HPGL2 drivers such as ArchiCAD or Plotmaker. Printing can be done from any application.

A good and cost effective RIP for OSX and the HP 650C is X-RIP from Microspot. More info from:

http://www.microspot.co.uk/products/xrip/index.htm

You will also need either a supported USB to parallel cable or an Ethernet/Parallel print server to make a physical connection to the Mac/Network. Using a USB to parallel cable will still allow the Designjet to be networked via the Macs print sharing capabilities.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nick
macsolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Barrettb
Prospect

I have a friend with a 650c and would like to use with a solo Mac.

Can one hook directly via the ethernet port and expect it to work ?
Barrettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
macsolver
Major Leaguer

Yes, but....

Hi,

If the Designjet has a Jetdirect internal card server or external Jetdirect server, you can connect it direct to the Mac via Eithernet using an Ethernet Crossover cable.

With the Jetdirect unit set up with an IP address within the same range as the Mac, use Print Setup Utility (OSX 10.4) More printers feature to select HP IP printing (with the Designjet powered up). If you have installed a suitable driver, it will show up in the Auto section.

Otherwise, Use HP Jet Direct - Socket. type in the IP address of the server and select a profile to suit from the Gimp-Print/Foomatic/hpijs range of non HP alternative drivers which you need to install prior to this.

The other driver alternatives are listed above.

More info:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Op..._.28Panther.29

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nick
Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
macsolver
Major Leaguer

Try this...

I would try the Gutenprint Designget 750C driver (I seem to remember that it is similar to the 650C) here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=273638

Regards,

Nick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: