Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > Applications

Old 12-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
Simon Ocean
Triple-A Player

Quicktime 7 Aspect Ratio

I can't believe I've only just discovered this!

If you want to change the Aspect Ratio of any movie playing in Quicktime 7, just hold SHIFT whilst resizing the window, also if you hold OPTION whilst resizing it goes through the preset Aspect Ratios.

This is something I've been missing in Quicktime for ages, I prefer to use the full screen of Quicktime over VLC.

I apologise if this is something that you all know already, but I thought I would share my delight.

Last edited by Simon Ocean; 12-30-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Simon Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
ThreeDee
Hall of Famer

It was a 'new' feature back in the "Movie Player" program for QuickTime 3 in Mac OS System 7.5. Really.

iPod Touch 5G, 32GB, iOS 6.1.3
ThreeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Simon Ocean
Triple-A Player

I'm a bit slow sometimes, although the wife says I'm too quick!
Old 12-30-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ocean
the wife says I'm too quick!

Spoken to your doctor about that?
"WITTY QUOTE"
Mikey-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
styrafome
Hall of Famer

I didn't know about this, but that's why I hang out on a tips site!

Is there a way to write an AppleScript to fix the aspect ratio in the same way as the Shift key drag? I looked through the QuickTime Player (free, not pro) AppleScript dictionary and couldn't find anything that would set playback aspect ratio.

Specifically, with the Shift key I can't see if I'm reaching an exact 4:3, so I would like to make a script that sets the proportions to exactly 4:3.

Last edited by styrafome; 12-30-2006 at 08:05 PM.
styrafome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
Mikey-San
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrafome
I didn't know about this, but that's why I hang out on a tips site!

Is there a way to write an AppleScript to fix the aspect ratio in the same way as the Shift key drag? I looked through the QuickTime Player (free, not pro) AppleScript dictionary and couldn't find anything that would set playback aspect ratio.

Specifically, with the Shift key I can't see if I'm reaching an exact 4:3, so I would like to make a script that sets the proportions to exactly 4:3.

Wouldn't this math be pretty easy to do yourself? Decide how tall you want the window, derive the proportional width from that, then set the window bounds to the new values.

For reference, the Pro version doesn't use a different dictionary.
"WITTY QUOTE"
Mikey-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
Mr.Gosh
Prospect

But its still not possible to embed the Pixel Aspect Ratio in the Video right?
Mr.Gosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:01 AM   #8
ThreeDee
Hall of Famer

If you want to see what size the movie it currently, press Apple+I. Shows info about current movie.

VLC has a bit of a messy interface, but has automatic Aspect Ratio resizing.

iPod Touch 5G, 32GB, iOS 6.1.3
ThreeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
styrafome
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-San
Wouldn't this math be pretty easy to do yourself? Decide how tall you want the window, derive the proportional width from that, then set the window bounds to the new values.

OK. First of all, I'm not much of a scripter. I am "the rest of us" that the Mac was built for. I can do command/property/argument, but the very second expressions, nesting, and conditional statements get involved, the syntax error rate of my scripts goes through the roof.

Here's where Apple makes this hard (for a non-programmer like me):
1. I want the script to work on more than one of my monitors, so setting a resolution independent aspect ratio (i.e. 4:3) would be nice.
2. There is no reporting of the aspect ratio that I know of.
3. There is no command to set the aspect ratio that I know of.
4. The bounds are absolute screen locations of each side. They aren't even simple dimensions. I see a command for "dimensions" but when I use "get the dimensions of window 1" I get an error "Can't make dimensions of window 1 into a type reference."
5. Fine. So first, I will need to convert 4:3 aspect ratio to the pixel dimensions at which I would like to display the movie.
6. Then I will need to convert the dimensions to bounds, after doing a little more math to figure out where to position the left and right bounds if I want it centered. Now I'm finally ready to use the set command.
7. But unlike a pure aspect ratio, dimensions and bounds are resolution-dependent, so I have to make a separate script for each monitor because I have no experience with attaching a radio button UI or two-button dialog box in AppleScript.

The point isn't that it's possible. Clearly I can get this done. The question is why seven steps are necessary at all, even if I fork over for Pro. There should just be a one-step resolution-independent aspect ratio command in there.
styrafome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
solipsism
MVP

This has been bothering me. Thanks for the SHIFT trick to alter the aspect ratio, but is there a way to choose one of the standard ratios like 4:3 or 16:9 without having to guess at it or re-adjust the pixels count?
solipsism is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: