Go Back   The macosxhints Forums > OS X Help Requests > System

Old 10-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
redixson
Prospect

10.1 PDF DPI resolution settings - Is there a way to adjust default DPI resolution?

Most of the PDF files created from the standard print to PDF process have a very large file size. It seems like the dpi resolution is very high which is good for some things but not for good file sizes. Does anyone know how to adjust the PDF DPI resolution setting in OS X. I have seen programs like PFD Shrink but that seems like an extra step and extra cost that could be avoided.
redixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
JDV
Hall of Famer

I think the grapics in a PDF file are vector graphics, not raster grapics, which is why they can be scaled rather easily, so I'm not sure that dpi is an issue here. But it is certainly true that some programs produce PDFs of different sizes. I'm not certain just how this is accomplished, however. If you are using scanned images in the PDF, perhaps scanning at a lower dpi would make a difference, but the quality would surely be impacted.

Joe VanZandt
JDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
benwiggy
League Commissioner

Use ColorSync Utility to create a Quartz Filter that either increases the level of compression or adjusts the resolution (downsampling).

The Quartz Filter can then be selected from your print menu.
benwiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
redixson
Prospect

I created a colorsync filter under the pdf section and adjusted the resolution to 150 dpi. The first file I printed from iPhoto (6 photos on a page) without any adjustments was 64 MB. I then printed one with the new colorsync filter and it was under 1 MB (640 Kb). The image quality was just about as good as the 64 Mb version. Wow! I have been trying to find an answer on google for a while with no luck. Thanks.
redixson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: